• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QLD GPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Donald Brick

Stan Wickham (3)
Cheers Tikka senior members such as yourself are taking initiative and really helping the cause. However that will be my last comment on the topic of the new BGS boys.

QTT Question of the Day:

Would 2024 BSHS be able to beat the 2016 BSHS team. If so please drop your score predictions. Two of the most exciting teams to watch in the past years.

-QTT
QTT,

Looking back at that team form 16' BSHS had some incredible talent and more they were coached even better by some of the Norths rugby greats. I definitely think that that team could beat the IMO one dimensional team that ploughs over the GPS today. As the defensive prowess of the 2016 forward pack was unmatched. and i believe could lock down roman. As for the matchup with NC it all depends on how NC approaches the game, if they find a way to contain the beast of a human that roman is, they may find victory. If not the game will end up being a very high scoring game that could go either way. Nevertheless a cracker will unfold on ross.

-Cheers DB

TheRugbyCyclist

Chris McKivat (8)
Cheers Tikka senior members such as yourself are taking initiative and really helping the cause. However that will be my last comment on the topic of the new BGS boys.

QTT Question of the Day:

Would 2024 BSHS be able to beat the 2016 BSHS team. If so please drop your score predictions. Two of the most exciting teams to watch in the past years.

-QTT
Although BSHS this year have proven stronger than most of their performances last decade, I can't see them beating that 2016 side. I was in fact somewhat involved with First XV rugby this year and I remember this vividly. The likes of Taulagi, McNamara and Mahina for BSHS simply outclassed any other players that would play in their position currently. Furthermore, this season was of such a high calibur with leauge players (Bullemor, Talaugi) coming out of the system as well as countless super rugby and union players who have gone on to play professionally (Lucas, Wilson, Mcreight, Nasser, Itaku, etc). I believe this season was near if not the peak of GPS footy in the modern era.

Daniel Koalins

Allen Oxlade (6)
Although BSHS this year have proven stronger than most of their performances last decade, I can't see them beating that 2016 side. I was in fact somewhat involved with First XV rugby this year and I remember this vividly. The likes of Taulagi, McNamara and Mahina for BSHS simply outclassed any other players that would play in their position currently. Furthermore, this season was of such a high calibur with leauge players (Bullemor, Talaugi) coming out of the system as well as countless super rugby and union players who have gone on to play professionally (Lucas, Wilson, Mcreight, Nasser, Itaku, etc). I believe this season was near if not the peak of GPS footy in the modern era.
You are right in saying it was the peak of modern GPS footy

Taniela Mcreight

Stan Wickham (3)
100% agree here mate. To this day its a mystery to me how that terrace team didnt get the premiership that year, with such a strong team taking the likes of Lucas, Nasser, and Wilson. They were so insanely strong. Their performance against nudgee at home that year stil lives in my head rent free. Definitely one of the better games that I have watched in my day (Ive seen quite a few). Like you said though, that BSHS team was just something else. How do you even defend a bloke like Taulagi in schoolboy footy. He was the package deal. Speed, Size and Heart, you cant teach that. And credit to him for doing so well in his NRL career thus far. Hands down, one of my favourite players to watch tear up the pitch.

Cheers fellas,

Ethan Caldwell

Bob McCowan (2)

QTT Question of the Day:

-QTT
Great Question QTT,
Although BSHS are having a strong year, I think the 2016 BSHS would win with the likes of silky Murray Tualagi and Neal McNamara these men would carve the current-day school footy style I a not to sure about the score. look foward to seeing some upcoming GPS fixtures.

Thanks for the question QTT,

Cheers EC

Bigboppa2

Frank Row (1)
Absolutely agree BFB, get rid of the cellar dwellers and add a bit of excitement to the end of the season, hate seeing the support die off at the end of the season.
Well you may of had your eyes shut for the first half of the season mate but BGS rugby is coming back. There opens team has new spark and power with many scholarship players in grade 10 and 11 meaning in a few years they will be a force to be reckoned with. As for their results this season they have had close losses in games where calls have not gone their way as well as a miraculous comeback against downlands. So before you start making comments like that how about you buy a nice pair of glasses and go and watch some mighty BGS rugby.

Guan Syun

Stan Wickham (3)
How good would the GPS comp be if we scrapped BGS and had an 8 round season without the bye and had the last two weeks for a semi and a final? Pinnacle of schoolboy footy no more shared premierships and a second chance for an early season loss.
Hey Back fence,

With 7 premierships under their belt Brisbane Grammar's rugby program holds a prestigious past, and new changes to the directing roles have shown an upward trend in the success of the program. Boy that 2012 team showed some flair and that BGS can field a quality side quite often. Toowoomba and Brisbane Boys College with an inferior number of premierships really makes this a flawed argument. Too many blokes just following what they hear in the courier mail.
Didn't want to let my emotions boil over in this forum.

Cheers, G.S

Bigboppa2

Frank Row (1)
As well as the introduction of many high quality players into the first team with the help of Tom Christie new head of rugby BGS have been competitive in all five games so far. With unlucky calls and poor refereeing decisions many of those games should of been won. So before you criticize BGS rugby again take a long hard look at the up and coming stars in the team list.
Would love to see a competition that has BGS having a competitive side but just haven't seen that since 2012 but I would say this year it is a much more closer competition.

TheRugbyCyclist

Chris McKivat (8)
Personally, I have liked watching Roman Siulepa (BSHS) he is a tall large #8 that is carving up the competition with his footwork and size.

Thanks for trying to get the forum back to footy chat.

EC
Thanks EC, value you trying to get the forum back on track.

My pick would have to be Lucas Clifford (BBC), if anyone has seen his media accounts then they would know how much work he has put in this season, and to finally see him get picked last week and put on a what I think was a man of the match performance was amazing. If anyone has these media account links please reply and share them for context. IMO, Clifford has one of the best scrums in the GPS and was also one of the leading ball runners with great PCM's.

footyguru21

Bob McCowan (2)
Personally, I have liked watching Roman Siulepa (BSHS) he is a tall large #8 that is carving up the competition with his footwork and size.

Thanks for trying to get the forum back to footy chat.

EC
Fair enough @Ethan Caldwell. For me it would have to be Treyvon Pritchard (Churchie), I think the way he moves around the pitch with his silky hands is a real threat to any teams defence and with the rapid acceleration too. it brought me quite a sadness when I heard about his injury, real footy player he is.

Cheers,

FG

Quick_Tap_Tony

Sydney Middleton (9)
I know that this was mentioned previously at the start of the season, however after 5 weeks of games what team in the competition do you believe has the best scrum and lineout package.

-QTT

Guan Syun

Stan Wickham (3)
I know that this was mentioned previously at the start of the season, however after 5 weeks of games what team in the competition do you believe has the best scrum and lineout package.

-QTT
Hey Tony,
My top 4 forward packs in terms of set piece would have to be Nudgee, Churchie, State High and unpopular opinion BGS. Churchies enforcer Sio has been dominant in the scrum. State High with a large scale pack and impact from the likes of Havea Takai has been deadly. BGS has kept the line out simple yet effective and Nudgee College have been well drilled and been a well oiled machine. I see room for improvement in every team though going into next year.

Cheers, G.S

Sofit

Stan Wickham (3)
So the strongest day I think for any school against Nudgee with Terrace winning;

- 5/31 games of the day
- 0 until the 15Ds
- 0 A teams
- 0 opens
- 0 u16s
- had 25 points scored against them in the 1st XV (most wins were +25, 30, 40 point margins)
- 0 direct hits in “egg-gate” where the Terrace kids egged the number 10s house the night before the game

What is great about Terrace is that they participated and fielded many teams in each grade including down the the 6ths in the opens which is what it’s all about.

I’d rank them as undeniably the number 2 rugby school on the basis of this valiant effort and the wins they achieved on the day as well as the lower score against them in the 1st XV.

The two establishment Roman Catholic schools reigning supreme in the GPS rugby.

Grammar and Churchie didn’t touch the sides in their two outings v Nudgee and so it’s just the Welsh Presbyterian Church school BBC left standing this season to protest against this Roman Empire dominance on the rugby battle field.

Long live the Roman Empire and the Signum Fidei! Haha.

TheRugbyCyclist

Chris McKivat (8)
Mate i agree but the problem with Downlands is they are flat out putting B teams on the paddock week in week out. This is becoming a worry throughout the GPS comp with many schools struggling to field teams below their A's. Thoughts on this please.
As @Sofit mentioned in his recent post, at the end of the day depth is one of the most important things in GPS rugby - so all boys can have a go. With school such like NC going down to the 9ths in some cases, it’s saddening when these boys have limited competition. Thus, if downlands can hardly manage to put B teams out there, and only go down to the 3rds in opens I think it’s unlikely they would get a spot in GPS.

gpsrugbynews

Bob McCowan (2)
guess whos back boys??? The GT General Xavier Coorey returns this week against TGS and while he might be unrecognisable because of all the extra kg's hes chucked on he will love being back home where he belongs

Status
Not open for further replies.