• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QF1 2012 - Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I've really liked how the Sharks pack have played the last month or so. Becker is a much more rounded player this season other than just being a LO giant and good in the loose. He's a dominant player in the tight and does a fair bit of grunt work which I hadn't seen in previous seasons.

The back row is humming and at the breakdown they get plenty of assistance from the brothers.

JP is one of the top 5 backs in the comp this year IMO. I'm not a fan but he has a real knack of getting over the gain line and (arrogantly) sniffing or setting up a meat pie. He really is a key player for them.

As for the Reds, with no Quade it really is all about Genia. He needs quick ball because going forward he is one of the great decision makers that can take the pressure off whoever plays 10.

Looking forward to the game. I'm picking Sharks by 2.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I've really liked how the Sharks pack have played the last month or so. Becker is a much more rounded player this season other than just being a LO giant and good in the loose. He's a dominant player in the tight and does a fair bit of grunt work which I hadn't seen in previous seasons.
Eh? Stormers or Sharks?

Bresler or Bekker...

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)

The back row is humming and at the breakdown they get plenty of assistance from the brothers.

JP is one of the top 5 backs in the comp this year IMO. I'm not a fan but he has a real knack of getting over the gain line and (arrogantly) sniffing or setting up a meat pie. He really is a key player for them.

As for the Reds, with no Quade it really is all about Genia. He needs quick ball because going forward he is one of the great decision makers that can take the pressure off whoever plays 10.

Looking forward to the game. I'm picking Sharks by 2.

Who is this Becker bloke who plays for the Sharks? Must be injured or suspended because didn't make the 22 for this week.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Sharks

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Willem Alberts
5. Anton Bresler
6. Keegan Daniel (Captain)
7. Marcell Coetzee
8. Ryan Kankowski

9. Charl McLeod
10. Frederic Michalak
11. Lwazi Mvovo
12. Tim Whitehead
13. Paul Jordaan
14. JP Pietersen
15. Louis Ludik

Replacements
16. Craig Burden
17. Wiehahn Herbst
18. Steven Sykes
19. Jacques Botes
20. Cobus Reinach
21. Meyer Bosman
22. Odwa Ndungane
Strong side and best pack of the competition. Also good to see Jordaan back. If they keep it tight and dominate up front, cant see them dropping this one.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Gill v Coetzee. mouthwatering
Meh, he's a Mummy's boy.

twl.gif

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Sharks have completely fallen to pieces in playoff road games over the years.

Having said that their form over the last four games is the best I remember it. Ever.

Strong tight five, dynamic back row, good kicking game and real game breakers playing with confidence.

The Reds need their A game for 80 minutes.

If the loss to the Lions and the first 40 minutes against the Cheetahs are amongst the Sharks' best form ever then the Reds will cruise it.

The Big Code

Bob McCowan (2)
I just watched the Sharks v Cheetahs replay. While the Sharks had a few guys injured/rested, it still gave an insight into what we can expect from them.

They weren't anything special in the first half. The Cheetahs really took it to them, and the Sharks took a while to get going. Once they did in the second half though, they looked dangerous at times. The game was remarkably similar to the Reds v Tahs actually, with a close game at halftime before a few tries just after the break proving all the difference.

Their backrow was everywhere, especially the skipper Keegan Daniel. In fact the backrow could be triplets, they all look identical and play a similar style. For a big, strong forward pack they actually didn't compete much at the breakdown. They were happy to let the Cheetahs have the ball and defend. I would be surprised if they try the same thing against the Reds, who would be expected to be better with the ball in hand than the Cheetahs.

Their backline is nothing special. Michalak seems to be a catch and pass fly half these days, and the only real spark came from JP Pietersen (who I have never rated but seems in really good form at the moment).

Losing Lambie is a big blow, and goes someway to evening out Quade's absence. I think with the fact the Sharks have to travel, the Reds should be favourites. It won't be easy at all, and I think they will have to improve a hell of a lot from last week to get the job done, but they certainly can do it.

The game between the two sides earlier in the year was a cracker and I am expecting more of the same!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Alberts at lock? Have they played him there much lately? Very very strong pack though.

Yes. He subbed there a few times this year and played a blinder in the second half last week. Alberts started his career at the Lions more as a lock.

He played mostly at lock last year in the RWC when we had a locking crisis and was our best forward.

Before the emergence of Etsebeth, Alberts was considered an option as a Bok starting lock and I still maintain he is the best guy after Etsebeth to play at 4 for the Boks.

It's very much a case of getting all the best players on the park for the Sharks. That is one hell of a mobile pack that gives up no grunt.

Now all they have to do is play, which the Sharks seem to forget how to do all too often. They are a one week on and one week off side and that's always been their issue. From sublime to the toilet in a week.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Yes. He subbed there a few times this year and played a blinder in the second half last week. Alberts started his career at the Lions more as a lock.

He played mostly at lock last year in the RWC when we had a locking crisis and was our best forward.

Before the emergence of Etsebeth, Alberts was considered an option as a Bok starting lock and I still maintain he is the best guy after Etsebeth to play at 4 for the Boks.

It's very much a case of getting all the best players on the park for the Sharks. That is one hell of a mobile pack that gives up no grunt.

Now all they have to do is play, which the Sharks seem to forget how to do all too often. They are a one week on and one week off side and that's always been their issue. From sublime to the toilet in a week.

In that case we'll put up some portable 'loos for them behind their goal posts.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Meh, he's a Mummy's boy.

twl.gif

Got to be one of the worst "tackles" I've seen! Can he be cited for a 'dangerous tackle', in that he raised himself above the horizontal and speared his head into the turf (with the assistance of the ball-carrier's left hand gripping the collar of his jumper)?!!

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Got to be one of the worst "tackles" I've seen! Can he be cited for a 'dangerous tackle', in that he raised himself above the horizontal and speared his head into the turf (with the assistance of the ball-carrier's left hand gripping the collar of his jumper)?!!

Certainly not the best tackling technique, but when you make as many tackles and get through as much work as Coetzee does, you can forgive him for having the occasional rush of blood to his head. He has only just turned 21 years old after all. How ironic it is that it is Dean Mumm, one of the least effective 2nd rowers in the competition and certainly not someone who steps up when the going gets tough, who palms him off in this instance.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Still plenty of tickets available. Is it second year year of finals so less interest or far fewer SA than Kiwi expats in Brisbane?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Maybe a bit of both? Add to that the average weather we've had in Brisbane over the last couple of weeks (although it is perfect today!), maybe also the fact that the Reds in finishing 6th overall this year have not generated as much hype as they had last year with a top of the table finish? Who knows. I'm sure there will be a lot of walk ups on the night if the weather stays fine.

A

AlexH

I would think that the loss of Francois Steyn is as significant for the Sharks as Cooper's suspension is for the Reds. That kid is a game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.