• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QF1 2012 - Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Maybe the Reds decision to kick that penalty unwittingly helped get the Sharks back into that game?

It was a clear cut turning point in the match and I thought it might have some pretty bad repercussions for the Reds later in the season.

And losing there Harris and Lucas through injury and Ioane to the bin all within the first half had no effect on the game? Genia playing 10 for half the game had no effect? How about the repercussions of then losing 2 more 10's in the next 3 weeks while those mentioned were still out and the effect that had on the season?

If you think the injuries played no part that is a terrific insight to determine that the call to take to the points would have repercussions for the rest of the season. After less than 3 games no less. You should be coaching somewhere.

By your reasoning Mowen alone is to blame for Brumbies being out of the finals. He took the points on offer at every chance. One more 4 try BP would have been enough.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
It was such a stupid decision to go for the three at 14-0 up that I'm surprised Harris didn't deliberately shank his kick into the corner and 'accidently' maintain the pressure.

Anyhow.

I can feel destiny on the side of the rabid Koala, and can't wait to see the closet intellectual Saia Fainga'a outsmart the two Plessises around the ruck by falling over a lot in front of them.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Reds should be looking to be running the Sharks around alot and try and expose the travel factor. It is also how they can depower the Sharks strong set piece. I think the Reds can take them right out of their comfort zone. It will have to be an 80 minute performance though.

W

What2040

Think Lucas will go Ok at 10. - Doesn't have QC (Quade Cooper)'s attacking flair but very good defensively. Reds forwards will have to bring it and dominate. Just hope Aussie Mike has kicking boots zero'd in. Will be a close match and a good contest at the pointy end of the season - both teams have everything to play for - cannot wait

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Feeling less confident about this game by the day. I don't doubt Link's ability to get them up for the game but the Sharks have everything to play for being in there first finals for some time. Complacency may just be a factor for the Reds.

W

What2040

Feeling less confident about this game by the day. I don't doubt Link's ability to get them up for the game but the Sharks have everything to play for being in there first finals for some time. Complacency may just be a factor for the Reds.

If the Reds are complacent then they deserve to get flogged. Biggest game of the year (so far) so I don't think complacency will be an issue

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Suggest you drop into Target for a pair of Red jocks Hugh! When in your possession, let me know, and I shall telepathically "bless" them, and load them with your own "luckiness"!! Remember that they will only work for you with Reds and Wobs matches.

To assist the Tahs, you may need more drastic action like "culling" personnel at all levels!

La Jarse has said items at the top of the shopping list for this week.

I will let you know when they are ready for the blessing.

I note your reminder that they will only work for Wobs and Reds, and to an degree those terms are acceptable.

The only restriction I seek is that the blessing is modified such that when Reds are playing the Mighty Tahs, the luckiness coefficient is reduced to zero, with all inherent luckiness reverting to the original luckiness franchise holder.

All being said and done, it behoves all Australians to acquire a pair of red Target undies and wear them in support of our only team with a chance to win the bloody trophy.

If Red is an issue, then I would remind you of the late Sir Peter Blake's Lucky Red Socks campaign when the Darkness held the America's Cup.

Precedent has already been set in Chez Jarse with senior Junior Jarses lucky red undies being played in for so long that towards the end, a second pair had to be worn underneath to protect his modesty. Before they were ceremonially retired, there were more holes than threads in them, but they took him to several premierships and made a difference in numerous games.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)

Sharks were in the finals last year, but got knocked out by Crusaders in Nelson in the first game. No doubt they would like to go one (or more) better this year, but I think both teams should have equal desire to win this game. Going to be a cracker.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Reds only have to win by 1, Harris will be hitting every penalty and even drop goals if he get that chance.

Reds by 10

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I fear the reds may have already played their final last week - pretty difficult to be revved up like they were two weeks in a row.

Still, really looking forward to it and hope for a reds win (obviously).

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
We won't see a complacent Reds team. That is one of the biggest things that Link has instilled. The boys are growing to love the big stage and are increasingly up for it. They've tasted the reward and they're hungry.

They've been given their inch - watch them take their mile.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Sharks have completely fallen to pieces in playoff road games over the years.

Having said that their form over the last four games is the best I remember it. Ever.

Strong tight five, dynamic back row, good kicking game and real game breakers playing with confidence.

The Reds need their A game for 80 minutes.

twenty seven

Tom Lawton (22)
I fear the reds may have already played their final last week - pretty difficult to be revved up like they were two weeks in a row.

Still, really looking forward to it and hope for a reds win (obviously).

Didn't we have thoughts like that last year at this time! Ewen knows what he is doing. I think they have plenty in the tank and still a lot to play for and prove. With Quade now out, complacency won't be in their thoughts.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Shorks Team:

Plumtree Names Strong Line-up

18 July 2012 (12:04) - Sharks coach John Plumtree has settled on his team early to play the Reds in Saturday's Vodacom Super Rugby Qualifier in Brisbane, one with a steely and physical edge about it as they head into the knock-out phase of the competition.

Willem Alberts, who came off the bench last week following an injury sustained with the Springboks, will this week get a start, although with the loose-forward trio playing so well last weekend against the Cheetahs (all three scored tries in that match), The Sharks coach has decided to leave it intact and Alberts slips into the lock position.

Steven Sykes, back from his own injury-enforced break, will provide plenty of experience as second row cover off the bench while the Springbok duo of Tendai Mtawarira and Bismarck du Plessis are both named in the front row after Beast missed the game with gastro and Bismarck played for 44 minutes after coming off the bench.

The final two changes are in the backline where the loss of Frans Steyn (he was unable to qualify for the Finals Series) sees Paul Jordaan slot in at outside centre with Tim Whitehead shifting to inside centre, and Louis Ludik replacing Pat Lambie at fullback after the Springbok had a recurrence of the ankle injury he sustained against England during the June Test series.

Interestingly, the last time these two teams met in the knock-outs was back in 1996 when The Sharks prevailed in the semi-final, also in Brisbane, winning that match 43-25.

The Sharks

1. Tendai Mtawarira
2. Bismarck du Plessis
3. Jannie du Plessis
4. Willem Alberts
5. Anton Bresler
6. Keegan Daniel (Captain)
7. Marcell Coetzee
8. Ryan Kankowski

9. Charl McLeod
10. Frederic Michalak
11. Lwazi Mvovo
12. Tim Whitehead
13. Paul Jordaan
14. JP Pietersen
15. Louis Ludik

Replacements
16. Craig Burden
17. Wiehahn Herbst
18. Steven Sykes
19. Jacques Botes
20. Cobus Reinach
21. Meyer Bosman
22. Odwa Ndungane

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
La Jarse has said items at the top of the shopping list for this week.

I will let you know when they are ready for the blessing.

I note your reminder that they will only work for Wobs and Reds, and to an degree those terms are acceptable.

The only restriction I seek is that the blessing is modified such that when Reds are playing the Mighty Tahs, the luckiness coefficient is reduced to zero, with all inherent luckiness reverting to the original luckiness franchise holder.

All being said and done, it behoves all Australians to acquire a pair of red Target undies and wear them in support of our only team with a chance to win the bloody trophy.

If Red is an issue, then I would remind you of the late Sir Peter Blake's Lucky Red Socks campaign when the Darkness held the America's Cup.

Precedent has already been set in Chez Jarse with senior Junior Jarses lucky red undies being played in for so long that towards the end, a second pair had to be worn underneath to protect his modesty. Before they were ceremonially retired, there were more holes than threads in them, but they took him to several premierships and made a difference in numerous games.

Hugh, I was just finishing a comprehensive reply when I pressed 'Del' instead of 'Back space'!!! Bugger, all that wasted time. Here is an abridged version!

Points to note:
1. La Jarse is to be told that my lucky jocks are "Bonds" brand, and are therefoe available at any "reputable" clothing retailer.
2. "Luckiness coefficient" cannot be altered as my jocks contain nano-threads impregnated with DNA from Reds and Wallabies players, and thus can't be adulterated by "Telopea speciosissima" (Warratah) DNA. I suggest you wear your new red jocks to Tahs training next season and at the end of the night strip down to said jocks and hop into the hot tub with some of the lads to get some of that Tahs DNA! (Quite simple, really)!
3. It's no fluke that the Australian owner of "Australia 2" who pinched the America's Cup from the Septic Tanks (4-3 against "Liberty" in 1983) was named "Bond", and that the Boxing Kangaroo's gloves were red!
4. It's good to see that Jarse Jnr discovered the power of the LRJs many years ago.

I look forward to assisting you with the telepathic blessing and impregnation of my Reds/Wobs luckiness into your new garment! (Gee Hugh, I hope the Saffers reading this thread don't get the wrong idea)!!! The Sharks squad is here on the GC, as I type! Cheers.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm glad QC (Quade Cooper) won't be appealing against the 1 week holiday if there was a chance of him getting "extra time" if the appeal was unsuccessful!

T

TOCC

I reckon the Reds knock the Sharks over and then bring Quade back for the Chiefs... All sweet bruz

Status
Not open for further replies.