• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

QF1 2012 - Reds vs Sharks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Certainly not the best tackling technique, but when you make as many tackles and get through as much work as Coetzee does, you can forgive him for having the occasional rush of blood to his head. He has only just turned 21 years old after all. How ironic it is that it is Dean Mumm, one of the least effective 2nd rowers in the competition and certainly not someone who steps up when the going gets tough, who palms him off in this instance.

Hey Brisbok, got to thank you and kiap for bringing this up, as the name Coetzee is very close to the name Coetzer (Amanda) the SA tennis player who I (and no doubt thousands of other heterosexual males around the world) were "in love with", during her tennis career!
She was gorgeous!!! A good tennis player, great body, and an infectious personality!

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
..and that's a poor reflection on who? The opposition team or Reds fans?

Doesn't necessarily think it's a poor reflection on either. And I don't get why you have to make it a "us vs them" thing.

There's just been a longer and more intense rivalry with (certain) NZ teams, along with a greater expat population, and coupled with greater familarity geographically and timezone-wise so NZ teams generally get bigger attendances. It also doesn't help that, historically, SA teams were not as strong as NZ teams as a whole from about 5 - 6 years ago back to the start of the S12 (weakness of the Bulls and Cats, mostly).

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
It also doesn't help that, historically, SA teams were not as strong as NZ teams as a whole from about 5 - 6 years ago back to the start of the S12 (weakness of the Bulls and Cats, mostly).
Add the Reds to that list and probably the biggest reason for the lack of interest.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Reds haven't had a home crowd under 30000 all year. What's wrong with that?

Sent using Tapatalk

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Probably not PB.

You forget to easily that the Reds crowds were shit for years as the Reds helped those shit SA teams to prop up the bottom of the log. The Union almost went belly up before link started knocking the thing back into shape.

Sully nothing wrong. But you would seriously expect a playoff home game to sell out or go near it anyway.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Add the Reds to that list and probably the biggest reason for the lack of interest.

Reds weakness was pretty much centred around 2004 - 2009. SA super rugby teams struggled in the comp for some reason before the early/mid-2000s, and SA went some years where they got just 1 team in the top half of the comp and no teams made the finals at all.

Not the case now, definitely, but historically I can see how people with long memories are more drawn to NZ fixtures where there has been more of a rivalry during the Reds halcyon days (back to the Super 6 and so forth).

Not a broad criticism or anything, just a suggestion why historically NZ teams have pulled higher crowds than SA teams.

Honestly, I would've thought that the Reds would get about 50k to the game. They got 41.5k to their traditional rivals the Waratahs, so about 50k would be a great crowd. Will be disappointed if they don't get close.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Goodness gracious Queenslanders are a sensitive bunch. Ten years in NSW and I am starting to understand the hullabaloo of this us and them back and forwards thingamajig.

Is it something in the water up there?

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
You forget to easily that the Reds crowds were shit for years as the Reds helped those shit SA teams to prop up the bottom of the log. The Union almost went belly up before link started knocking the thing back into shape.

Sully nothing wrong. But you would seriously expect a playoff home game to sell out or go near it anyway.

Yeah, the Reds crowds were godawful to Ballymore, and barely better when they first moved to Suncorp (Lang Park) where they copped some nice beatings. So small I think they ran some games at a loss at Suncorp. Honestly, I am surprised at how quickly the Reds got themselves off the bottom of the log, similarly as to how quickly the Bulls did (although the Bulls were more puzzling, after going so well in the Currie Cup and failing so miserably in the Super 12).

Yeah, as I posted above, you'd expect close to 50k, if not more. That it hasn't sold out quickly isn't such a concern though (yet), I think.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Still plenty of tickets available. Is it second year year of finals so less interest or far fewer SA than Kiwi expats in Brisbane?

Last years semi final against the Blues wasn't a sell out either, around 45k I think.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)

Haha Paarl, good riposte :)

I don't think many of us thought we would have a home final this weekend. Lots of people made other plans.

Tickets have have only been on sale since yesterday (I think) so we'll see how it goes.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
What does going to the other codes cost? A night at the Rugby isn't a cheap exercise by any means.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
And whats the competition from other sports like there Paarl?
Well newlands have all kinds of sport going. Manchester United is playing Cape Town Ajax in CT Stadium thuis weekend, in fact if the Stormers play in the final it will be the same time as our Paarl Interschools. We'll still have 20,000+ supporters at our local Faure Stadium despite the matches at the same time. Newlands is the most supported Stadium in the world when it comes to provincial rugby, not even the NH or France can beat us. Our support runs from schoolboy level Boet, no one beats us supporting any outdoor sport.

Scotty

David Codey (61)

I don't forget at all. I was at most of the games.

PB seemed to be trying to say that this weekends crowd has something to do with how badly the reds performed in the mid to late 2000's. I strongly disagree, and I would suggest I know a little more about it than him, or you for that matter.

When the reds were a successful team late 1990's and early 2000's then didn't always pack out ballymore - and that only fits about 18k.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
For God's sake team, the past is the bloody past, which we can't control! Let's all be positive (but still parochial), and concentrate on two great teams playing the greatest game on Earth, in one of the greatest stadiums, on a great night which will give us great rugby/weather conditions, leaving one group of supporters feeling "great"!!! GO THE REDS!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.