• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Pat McCabe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Has anyone seen the picture of McCabe in the Match Program on rugby heaven? Clearly it is his majestic mo that got him the nod over other 12s

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I'll go with this one (and take a few liberties along the way) The Crusaders culture which Deans inherited and continued and his player selections suggest that "big", "strong" personalities that challenge the coaches aren't viewed so well.

Deans selections offer some support to those who think that he does not always pick the best, but the good player that will conform to the way he wants the team to play. ... Giteau is an outspoken player, not quite the introverted Elsom. Elsom is more Reuben Thorne. Deans certainly is prepared to take risks, but less so on players that have that maverick, independent streak that Giteau may possess.

I reckon it is just a case of other options doing him over. Is Gits better than QC (Quade Cooper) at 10, Genia at 9, or JOC (James O'Connor) (similar playstyle) at 12? Nope. He might push JOC (James O'Connor) close with his immense experience but JOC (James O'Connor) also brings more reliable kicking (maybe), and would free up a wing slot we need. More to the point, for now, Deans strat is calling for a defender 12 who can complement QC (Quade Cooper). That leaves Gits with being a very good bench player. I can't see him being dropped from the squad tho.

If Deans decides he wants two playmakers in midline, Gits is again gonna lose IMO - Deans will switch JOC (James O'Connor) in, making space for Mitchell.

All bets off if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) doesn't show some spark tho, as McCabe likely to get pushed to 13 I think in that scenario?

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Personally, I think Deans believes that Aus needs to have mid-field runners who can straighten the line, hold the defense and bang it up if his outside backs are to have the space in which to operate. QC (Quade Cooper) can find those midfield runner with the correct pass if they run the right lines and angles. Off slower ball, he needs strong ball carriers across the park who can set a target for his forwards to build phase play and get across the gain line. It's only when the Wallabies get a forward role on and generate quick ball, that they can be considered the best in the game.

G

gladiator

personally , i believe that australia currently doesnt have the right candidate to be playing inside centre and outside centre . pat mccabe is not the complete number 12 , but he's the closest to it , this is why robbie deans favour him , i too think that pat mccabe is the best 12 in australia . i dont agree with alotta poster's here seeing pat as an outside centre , he's no outside centre . ........ so who should be playing outside centre ? ... to be quite honest , this is the missing piece of the puzzle , australia just doesnt have that special someone , who fit's into this role perfectly . ... this position surely does robbie's head in .

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I think everyone will be very surprised with how well McCabe will go at 12. Im more worried with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13, his distribution skills are much worse then McCabes. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is also a bit of a ball hog, which was fine when he was in form and getting over the advantage line but now that he is playing poorly he really needs to give the ball to the back 3. If u have a look at McCabe's interview in the smh, he says something like "with the back 3 of Digby, JOC (James O'Connor), Beale It would be criminal not to throw the ball to them and let them play". He also says his focus will be finding good lines to run. He is clearly in the right mindset. But is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?

heres the link to article in smh http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...o12-is-ready-for-anything-20110721-1hqwo.html

U

undercoverkiwi

I'll go with this one (and take a few liberties along the way) The Crusaders culture which Deans inherited and continued and his player selections suggest that "big", "strong" personalities that challenge the coaches aren't viewed so well. Umaga is the 2003 RWC is a good example. Umaga wrote that ""Despite being a senior player, I got no feedback at all - just: 'No, you're not in this week'. That was pretty typical of the Mitchell/Deans man-management style, which wasn't what I was used to," and "Mitchell and Deans had a core group of players whom they valued and listened to, and it didn't include me."

Deans selections offer some support to those who think that he does not always pick the best, but the good player that will conform to the way he wants the team to play. And frankly, there is nothing wrong with the coach exercising his prerogative. Giteau is an outspoken player, not quite the introverted Elsom. Elsom is more Reuben Thorne. Deans certainly is prepared to take risks, but less so on players that have that maverick, independent streak that Giteau may possess. (Posters that point out that Elsom is a maverick, or that I have chosen to neglect personalities such as Spencer, Justin Marshall and even Mehrtens are blatantly ignoring the fact that I am being selective in support of my narrative and quietly looking the other way when presented with evidence to the contrary).

Christian Cullen and Anton Oliver also have some views on Deans' man-management and inability to deal with certain personalaties.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
There is nothing introverted about Nau, Robinson, Horwill, Pocock, Genia, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Mitchell, Beale or Ioane. I'd suggest that Deans is molding his game plan around these people, not the other way round.

V

villafella

In a side that had no forward momentum, they are pretty good stats. Although I see him becoming a world class 13 in the long term, probably in the mould of a Daniel Herbert. Seeing that he has played 3 games in his career at 12, it was always going to be a steep learning curve. But he looks up to task. If he has a strong game on Saturday, I suspect he will be at 12 until Barnes comes back.

Daniel Herbert wasn't a world class 13. He never passed the ball! How the hell Jason Little was moved to the wing for Herbie still amazes me.

How you can pick Mc Cabe as an inside centre is mind boggling. I thought Dingo wanted two playmakers at 10 and 12!

V

villafella

personally , i believe that australia currently doesnt have the right candidate to be playing inside centre and outside centre . pat mccabe is not the complete number 12 , but he's the closest to it , this is why robbie deans favour him , i too think that pat mccabe is the best 12 in australia . i dont agree with alotta poster's here seeing pat as an outside centre , he's no outside centre . ........ so who should be playing outside centre ? ... to be quite honest , this is the missing piece of the puzzle , australia just doesnt have that special someone , who fit's into this role perfectly . ... this position surely does robbie's head in .
How can you say he's the best 12 if he's hardly ever played there?

V

villafella

There is nothing introverted about Nau, Robinson, Horwill, Pocock, Genia, Cooper, JOC (James O'Connor), Mitchell, Beale or Ioane. I'd suggest that Deans is molding his game plan around these people, not the other way round.
Genia and Pocock are quite mild-mannered off the field, as is Cooper. JOC (James O'Connor) has the biggest head in the universe.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Genia and Pocock are quite mild-mannered off the field, as is Cooper. JOC (James O'Connor) has the biggest head in the universe.

I don't think mild mannered is the same as introverted. Introverted means inward looking. I doubt any of those blokes are inward looking. A person can be quite reserved and yet impose himself very effectively on his surroundings.

T

The_Riddler

Daniel Herbert wasn't a world class 13.

I think if you were named in the "Team if the World Cup 1999" and also won the "L'equipe International Player of the Year" award in 1999, you can be characterised as world class.

I simply don't agree with you. He was an outstanding player that served the Wallabies and world rugby with distinction.

T

TOCC

I don't think mild mannered is the same as introverted. Introverted means inward looking. I doubt any of those blokes are inward looking. A person can be quite reserved and yet impose himself very effectively on his surroundings.

An introvert isnt a person who is 'inward looking', that term can be somewhat misleading and insinuate that a introvert is someone who cares more about himself then his surrounds, which couldn't be further from the case.

An introvert is a person who doesn't speak unless something needs to be said, he would rather sit back and listen to other peoples opinions before pressing his own, a person who would rather consider there options in depth before speaking, a person who revels in quiet time because it gives them time to think at depth.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/30/introverts-good-leaders-leadership-managing-personality.html

T

TOCC

He's still got nothing on Geoffrey Boycott.

obviously not, unlike Boycott there is no evidence to indicate that Elsom is disliked by his team mates...

BTW, im not defending Elsom, im just debating the misconception of what a introvert it.. But this thread is now digressing away from the original topic of McCabe.

Reactions: DPK
Status
Not open for further replies.