• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Pat McCabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tranquility

It was mentioned previously that he played flyahlf for the U20s when Quade and KB (Kurtley Beale) were injured or not playing. The bloke can pass a ball. Sheesh.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I've rarely seen G&GR so unified in defence of a player. Good to see, and says a lot about McCabe.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I've rarely seen G&GR so unified in defence of a player. Good to see, and says a lot about McCabe.

It's probably because he was on one of the GAGR podcasts. Usually get a bump in loyalty points if they do appear on the website, the players are usually good lads anyway but I'm sure it helps.

Maybe Tom Carter could do with an appearance on the podcast for this very reason :fishing

Also McCabe has played well recently so it's hard to criticize him.

Spectator: The photo is from the U16 national Championships, in 2004 I think

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I have noticed as well among a lot of NH fans that they seem to rate Gits a lot higher than a lot of us. Whether they have longer memories or just less knowledge of the alternative players I don't know but I always found it a bit funny

It's not just NH posters either. Kiwis seem quite delighted that Gits is not being selected by Deans

Scotty

David Codey (61)
McCabe has got all the skills we need outside of Cooper. Cooper doesn't pass it to him to try and get the ball to the wing he gives it to him to straighten the attack and get over the ad line to set up the next play. If McCabe dies make a break in midfield I have no doubt he will offload the ball to the right support player.

Also together with AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Ioane they make a very aggressive midfield defensive combination. Something that I think is critical in test match rugby.

T

tranquility

and also something we haven't had for a very long time.

I remember watching the Lions tests again recently (god they were good!) and I just couldn't believe how much bigger how backline was in those days.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I've been on record stating some concerns about McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the midfield and the weekend allayed them to a degree. I think McCabe showed enough to warrant persisting with this combination for at least the All Blacks test upcoming and perhaps beyond.

W

Waylon

A. Fainga'a is one of the great low tacklers. he goes in low and hard and drops blokes like an axe. His attacking skills are superior to McCabe. His acceleration puts him through gaps.

McCabe is a plodder. He belts it up and gets smashed and dies with the ball. No variety, no skill, no difference, no result.

If youwant someone to run straight, hit a backrower. If Elsom is starting, he'll be standing in the centers for 90% of the game anyway.....the best way to get him of the backline is to get him to hit it up.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Fainga'a made only 4 linebreaks in the whole S15 season. McCabe made 12- that is three times as many, and McCabe played about 150 minutes less than Ant. Fainga'a was playing in a red-hot Reds backline (outside the Wallaby halves), McCabe was in a beaten Brumbies one. What does this prove?

a) Fainga'a's acceleration is not as potent as you seem to think.
b) McCabe is far from a plodder.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Fainga'a made only 4 linebreaks in the whole S15 season. McCabe made 12- that is three times as many, and McCabe played about 150 minutes less than Ant. Fainga'a was playing in a red-hot Reds backline (outside the Wallaby halves), McCabe was in a beaten Brumbies one. What does this prove?

If you're going to compare this, you gotta remember McCabe played the majority of his time in the back 3, where you'd expect a lot more linebreaks.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
afpmsr2011.jpg

source: www.rugbystats.com.au Super Rugby 2011

Not bad for someone playing in the Brumbies.

W

Waylon

McCabe learned to lose and losing is a way of life
McCabe was part of a culture of no heart and no pride in performance
Mccabe underachieved along with the rest of the ponies
Losing is habitual

It is RWC year. Pick winners

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I've been on record stating some concerns about McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the midfield and the weekend allayed them to a degree. I think McCabe showed enough to warrant persisting with this combination for at least the All Blacks test upcoming and perhaps beyond.

I think the solidity of that midfield is a steadying counterpoint to the razzle dazzle of most of the other backs. There was some headless chook stuff by the Wallaby backs on Saturday night and McCabe and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) calmed the waters.

McCabe did a lot better in his 1st starting game in 3N than A. Fainga'a did in his first (and only) start in 3N. He defended poorly - no don't tell me his tackle stats, it's not the same thing - he wasn't where he should have been twice to make tackles and that was when the All Blacks scored their two tries.

His time will come again, but maybe not this year unless there are injuries.

afpmsr2011.jpg

source: www.rugbystats.com.au Super Rugby 2011

Not bad for someone playing in the Brumbies.

Where exactly on the site are these figures - or did you go painstakingly though each game for both players and add them up?

Does anybody know of sites and the particular link on the site that lists Super Rugby stats for teams and players for the whole season, as opposed to individual games?

Status
Not open for further replies.