• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Pat McCabe

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

H...

Anyone that doesn't get a hard on from the 12:2 advantage line made ratio needs to get their gear checked by the doc.

He'll make a mistake or two, but after not having had a 12 in the gold jersey that actually made people take him head on since Nathan Grey, I'm chuffed about this guy.

I don't know how many times people need to see "Gits" dance around going sideways, more often than not losing metres, before they decide it isn't working, but thank fuck the coach fnally figured it out.

Edit: It also looks like McCabe doesn't have a (public) twitter account. Another tick for him, in my book.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
There seems to be quite a bit of pro-Tapuai sentiment around at the moment. Are we really considering promoting him over JOC (James O'Connor), for example, as a potential 12?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There seems to be quite a bit of pro-Tapuai sentiment around at the moment. Are we really considering promoting him over JOC (James O'Connor), for example, as a potential 12?

I don't think anyone seriously considers Tapuai outside of one eyes Reds fans...

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I was never really much of a Nathan Grey fan and that may be why I am not a huge McCabe fan. In saying that I also was spoiled by watching a lot of Tim Horan and judge everyone against him. I am willing to give McCabe the benefit of the doubt and hope he rips it up against SA on the weekend.

H

H...

I was never really much of a Nathan Grey fan and that may be why I am not a huge McCabe fan. In saying that I also was spoiled by watching a lot of Tim Horan and judge everyone against him. I am willing to give McCabe the benefit of the doubt and hope he rips it up against SA on the weekend.

There's a lot more Horan in Grey and McCabe than there ever has been in Giteau. All I personally want is someone who can carry a defender over the advantage line whilst running hard and straight. I don't mind if he hasn't got a Frans Steyn boot on him or can't juggle 3 rugby balls whilst running backwards down a ski slope, I just want him to cross the advantage line. If we can get that occurring on a regular basis, much of the rest will fall into place naturally*, IMO.

*by which I mean, when the defence are constantly having to retreat to stay onside, that's when the likes of Cooper and Beale can cause all sorts of havoc.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)

Me either. I never felt that he offered anywhere near as much as Horan, though frankly who ever did. He always seemed to be a crasher and basher and not a lot more. That's fine if the game plan allows for it and there are other creative players in the back line, however. To me, a centre has to be able to do more than carry the ball into contact and tackle.

H

H...

So, H.... Just to be clear: you don't like Matt Giteau?

I know, I need to stop beating the dead horse.

But honestly, I've been so damn frustrated for so long over this. I feel he was earmarked as the golden boy that the ARU wanted for the front of Weetbix packets etc all the way back in 2002 (they now have O'Connor for this). And I feel like we've been waiting for him to come good ever since. Rugby is the sport least understood by the Australian (mainstream) media so the country knows him as Rugby "superstar" Matt Giteau but what has he ever done to deserve that title, or continued selection? A real standout at Super Rugby level, certainly, and more than capable of killing it against Japan and Italy etc. But seems to go missing when it counts in the gold (yellow?) jumper.

In 2008 the Sydney press went as far as suggesting he may be Dan Carter's equal (at fly half) - now the consensus is that he isn't fit to carry Carter's jock. Has he lost all those skills in that time or were we all just drinking the kool aid when it tasted good (a couple of victories in the ELV era)?

There seems to always be a method for explaining away a poor, or mediocre performance of his. The forwards were shit. The service was shit. It was wet. He he had an off night but so did everyone. He had an off night but we're sure he'll come good eventually. He really should be at 10 (generally this one comes after a shitty performance at 12), he really should be at 12 (vice versa), he's a 90% kicker in Super Rugby, he played so well for the brumbies this year. He brings a lot of experience to the side (it comes with a bad attitude, sense of entitlement and all that experience was gained on other shitty wallaby sides that didn't win anything either, but hey). Fuck, all I ask is that they try something else for a bunch of tests.

Pat McCabe may end up being Timana Tahu part 2, and bomb spectacturly. Ant Faainga may well do the same. But how do we know if we don't give them a proper shot?

Even if it's your view that Giteau was, at some point, a genuine test caliber *insert number here*, you still need to acknowledge that he's had numerous chances to to redeem himself after multiple mediocre performances. Yet there are people who will tell you that a debutant should never get another shot because they made a mistake or 3 on their first night? Figure that out.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Quality rant! I like it.

I agree with a fair amount of what you're saying, but maybe not to the same extremes. I think Gits (despite the money and plaudits and everything else) has been poorly served by Oz rugby in certain aspects of his play. Moved around too much, lauded and pushed to be a 10 when he's not, in particular. He has also had some spectacular seasons, both at Super and Test level.

It's unfortunate that for whatever reason he has never managed to reach his potential. But that doesn't make him the culprit for Australia's woes -- now or over the last three years.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Giteau was good until we started effing him around with changes to halfback and flyhalf. The coaches have as much to blame in this as the player himself.

Clawhammer

Herbert Moran (7)
It's unfortunate that for whatever reason he has never managed to reach his potential. But that doesn't make him the culprit for Australia's woes -- now or over the last three years.

Completely agree with this. For whatever reason he isn't the player he once was. What really pisses me off though is the constant vitriol directed at him personally (eg after the Reds/Brumbies match) - it's all a little juvenile.

In any case - go phat Pat McCabe!

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
Giteau was good until we started effing him around with changes to halfback and flyhalf. The coaches have as much to blame in this as the player himself.

Agree Scotty. We can easily forget his good games in the gold jersey and recall his shit games. He has been in more positions than our favourite at the brothel. It is also hard to feel sorry for him as he was also earning more per hour than she was

T

The_Riddler

Extract from Greg Gowden's article in SMH this morning:

"The selectors are eager for McCabe to make the Test No. 12 jersey his, believing he and fellow Brumbies midfielder Ashley-Cooper against Samoa ''combined well, particularly defensively, and we are looking for a little bit more in terms of our attack. But a lot has to happen in front of them first,'' Deans said. ''He [McCabe] is well suited to the midfield. He has played most of his Super Rugby on the edge, either wing or fullback. He's got speed, size, and is a good decision-maker.''

Unless they play poorly or are exposed, looks like they will stick this combo for at least the short term.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...with-mccabe-20110719-1hnb7.html#ixzz1SbKydjuS

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
So he seems to be the most divisive of the Wallabies squad to be picked for the weekend. Thought I'd open the debate up with a video. Here's everything he was involved in at inside centre on the weekend, and some stats:

• 14 runs for 105m (averaging 7.5m per run)
  • 12 runs over advantage line, 2 failed advantage line
  • 2 tackle busts
  • 5 passes
  • 4 tackles (1 dominant)
  • 14 breakdown involvements (excluding involvements after own runs)
  • 1 Turnover - Knocked on in tackle
  • 1 Ineffective tackle (Kane Thomson offload)

He was solid enough, but he won't set the world on fire. He looked a little lost at IC to be honest. I wonder if Deans plans to persist with him should Barnes not be available?

Having just watched the video the stats that you have provided are a bit misleading. Of his 14 runs I saw maybe 3 of them made it past the gain line. That is he moved the ball further up the field than where the last ruck was, as opposed to the advantage line that is halfway between the defence and attack, and it was only a matter of meters past this line. I would want a player of McCabe's style to be making at least one clear linebreak a half but he made none. Also his needs to improve his work at the breakdown. A couple of times I think he could have been penalised for going off his feet.

On a positive note I didn't notice some of the passes he made during the game and I can see some potential in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.