• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dingdong

I know in junior League there is a tendancy for some players (especially islanders) to launch themselves at the lower leg of an attacking player; no arms just shoulder. I find this hideous, just like my other great p*ss-off - the shoulder charge; which I can see one day having a fatal result (shoulder - direct contact with a player's sternum - heart stops) before the d**ckheads ban it. I'm sure that the two rugby codes were invented as games of tackle. Rugby got this right years ago; whereas the leaguies believe the TV ratings go up when the 'rabbit' screams "and there's another brute big hit". I can see him one day saying that & the player doesn't get up - hope i'm wrong.

Totally agree Magpie. In fact I would say that 75% of defense in League is not what I call ( and love to see ) "tackling". Most times it's the 3rd man that comes in who performs the tackle. The rest is a mix of WWF and Grecu wrestling. It wasn't that long ago that the leagies joked about Union players not being able to tackle.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
CTPE,

If you are talking about Clarke I agree too. At lasy years State ( and Regional) there was a noticeable difference between the team with Clarke playing at 10 as oppossed to Angeloni. The latter has become to predictable in attack and good flankers that are fast off the break are now able to force errors!

I like others do have concerns with Clarke's defence, and the lad gets bounced around a bit by the bigger boys, nevertheless he is not afraisd to throw his body on the line if it requires the same. He proved this when he was playing Harold Matthews for Balmain.

However he is developing a tendency to ankle tap the bigger boys now which i hate due to the serious leg injuries it can can cause the bigger lads (notwithstanding it is legal i still dont like it).

Regards,
Newbie.

Well, If Clarke playing 10 and i'm the opposition coach, i'm running that channel all game!

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Totally agree Magpie. In fact I would say that 75% of defense in League is not what I call ( and love to see ) "tackling". Most times it's the 3rd man that comes in who performs the tackle. The rest is a mix of WWF and Grecu wrestling. It wasn't that long ago that the leagies joked about Union players not being able to tackle.

Always thought that in league the tactic was to stop the ball carrier AND deny them the offload? Yes - my observation ignores deliberatly trying to maim the opposition a la chicken wing, shoulder charge et al.

D

Dingdong

Always thought that in league the tactic was to stop the ball carrier AND deny them the offload? Yes - my observation ignores deliberatly trying to maim the opposition a la chicken wing, shoulder charge et al.

I'm aware of why they defend that way, it just doesn't appeal to me.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
What do you all think of Deegan and Lussick compared to Cale and Clark, who whould you say is the best 5/8 in NSW?

spiker

Frank Row (1)
What an interesting question Deegan and Lussick vs Cale and Clark!

I think that very question could well be answered in a few months time. I suspect that the NSW schools combo will be the first two boys and SJRU will be the second combo. What a sight and perhaps an aswer to much disussion if the final was Schools v Sydney-then everybody would get an answer for once.

However some points-D and L looked fantastic tucked in behind what I think everybody agrees is an amazing forward group(GPS).
Then the same can be said that C and C look very comfortable behind the Parra pack-as shown this last w/e.

What happens if the two packs are similar and almoat cancel each other out. Then the true skills will become apparent. My personal point -NSW is blessed to have 4 quality 5/8's who will battle each other for many years. These boys will grow and change over the next few months and this discussion I'm sure will be still going when in 2013 there has to be a 5/8 for Aus schools! One things for sure -it will be one of these 4 names.

Bill McLean (32)
I concur!

Well, If Clarke playing 10 and i'm the opposition coach, i'm running that channel all game!

Notwithstanding that fact, I would still have in the 10 jersey for his attacking creativity, you are spot on with your comment!

In fact it already occurs, however I have noticed that he has the protection of his loose forwards in defence!

Regards,
Newbie.

R

RugbyOldBoy

Best 5/8 in "NSW"

Can I encourage you to widen your horizons, when quoting best 5/8 in "NSW" and yet you only make reference to the City boys? There are some very telling statistics out there that would suggest Nic Andrews cannot be dismissed merely becasue of geographical location.

W

Wallaby Bob

Just want to raise the issue of young hookers again.

Can anyone tell me that they saw an outstanding no 2 on the weekend?

All played well at the weekend considering the time they had to form combinations. Best all round performace was either No.17 for Country or No.2 for West Zone.

D

Dingdong

Can I encourage you to widen your horizons, when quoting best 5/8 in "NSW" and yet you only make reference to the City boys? There are some very telling statistics out there that would suggest Nic Andrews cannot be dismissed merely becasue of geographical location.

Absolutely agree, a fit Nic Andrews IMO has the edge on all except Tulloch who keeps getting shifted around to suit others. Tulloch's plays best at 10 and only moved to 12 last year for Andrews to play 10 for Country. This positional change allowed for both these gifted players to be on the paddock at the same time and again is testament to Tullochs versatility. Andrews was most unlucky not to have been the NSW 5/8 last year after his dominate City v Country performance.

C

cold coffee

Nice - but unfortunately the TRIALS have been hijacked by coaches / zones wanting to prove that they are # 1, rather than as a proving ground for young rugby players. This has been added to by environments like this where we actively rank teams rather than try to focus on the talent on display.

I think you got that right--- that was perfectly evident re MWZ coaches attitude last weekend..... very poor !

C

cold coffee

Why are you so negative MOTH? No matter what others in this site offer by way of opinion you always have to criticise, note exceptions, or find fault!

How about you go out on a limb and offer a solution instead of finding fault in everything and everyone!

My goodness we are all searching for that egalitarian rugby utopia, so how about adding your thoughts on improving our junior system instead of re-identifying all of the problems which we all know exisit?

Seriously MOTH can anybody say anything in this room without you belittling them. Your behaviour torward CC on this occassion is unwarranted!

CC you have my agreement!!!

Newbie.

Thanks for the support Newbie... Im sure the MOTH means no harm ..... Im a great guy when you get to know me .... Ive always been told to HTFU anyway ! (apologies Lee)

C

cold coffee

Newbie - so I observe human nature. Ultimately, the solution lies with independent selectors / coaches being introduced earlier on in the food chain - ie at zone level as a minimum. The number of "curious" selection / game descisions outlined throughout this thread says that this what the majority believe. That I have a provocative style - well so what.

I will fill you fellas in on something from the weekend - The Baa Baa coach Richardson was asked by Sydney as to why his captain didnt take a couple of shots at a penalty. His reply - "this is a trial rugby match isnt it- or do you blokes want to see a goal kicking competition" The difference being Baa Baa vs MWZ one try a piece and a couple of penalites.. At the end of the day MWZ got the chocolates... but if you asked who was the winners - its was Country and the Baa Baa squads.. I can tell you now that MWZ werte filthy they didnt put Country away...........

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
I apologise for not mentioning anyone from the country, i was simply tossing up 4 names that are regularly disscussed on this site.

T

tzimmy

So what is everyones teams for Sydney? How much of the MWZ team do you think will be in there? A lot of people didn't get much game time as well.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I will fill you fellas in on something from the weekend - The Baa Baa coach Richardson was asked by Sydney as to why his captain didnt take a couple of shots at a penalty. His reply - "this is a trial rugby match isnt it- or do you blokes want to see a goal kicking competition" The difference being Baa Baa vs MWZ one try a piece and a couple of penalites.. At the end of the day MWZ got the chocolates... but if you asked who was the winners - its was Country and the Baa Baa squads.. I can tell you now that MWZ werte filthy they didnt put Country away...........

Does the expression - picked it like a nose - have any traction here.

It was a trial - shame about the win loss fixation (of which i am also guitly).

Everything i read makes me convinced that a major format change is needed - bbs & the country boys just appear to have got it right - i just hope that is refelcted in the final selections.

kiwi playing in Oz

Allen Oxlade (6)
I reckon selectors should b held accountable for their decisions. If they are looking at how a player does the job required of their position then maybe they have some sort of ticksheet that indicates 'yes to this or no to that'. Then to show fairness and transparency with the process the sheet should be made available for the individual player to view to help him work on any perceived weakness in his game. This system is used in another code that my son was involved in and it was useful. Sometimes people, or parents lol, think their sons are better than they are and its not till someone tells them sorry mate ur not doing this or that that they then realise they need to work on other areas of their game. Anyway good luck to those who do make it and gentlemen and ladies don't. Be too hard on the selectors lol it is only a game after all!

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I reckon selectors should b held accountable for their decisions. If they are looking at how a player does the job required of their position then maybe they have some sort of ticksheet that indicates 'yes to this or no to that'. Then to show fairness and transparency with the process the sheet should be made available for the individual player to view to help him work on any perceived weakness in his game. This system is used in another code that my son was involved in and it was useful. Sometimes people, or parents lol, think their sons are better than they are and its not till someone tells them sorry mate ur not doing this or that that they then realise they need to work on other areas of their game. Anyway good luck to those who do make it and gentlemen and ladies don't. Be too hard on the selectors lol it is only a game after all!

Totally agree - seen the same sort of process applied successfully in cricket.

M

magpie4ever

I don't believe anyone can blame the selectors when it seems to me that certain coaches made a mockery of the schools and regionals titles (trials) by not allowing the selectors to sight all players (with decent game time) in the different squads.

M

magpie4ever

Does anyone know when the different squads will be announced; and will it be placed on rugbynet.com.au?

Status
Not open for further replies.