• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Can you recall whether that was the case last season? I have a vague recollection of Clark being seen as a bit of a bolter at 10 for NSWJRU.

Clark played for West Harbour last season and was the Sydney and NSW no 10. He pipped Country's Corey Tulloch for the state 10 jumper but it must have been a very close thing.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
OPINIONS PLEASE - there is a lot of talk of boys playing out of their preferred position, J Clark being a regular example, as is A Kellaway, a natural 12 playing 11 / 14 to be in a higher team. So, is this a good way to climb the greasy pole, or a short term development ploy, and does it deliver a better player or a better team?

Bill McLean (32)
Not all but he doesn't seem to get first shot at the 10 jumper when in the same team as Cale (eg Parra and MWZ). I think he's a great 10 but in his current rep teams he's making a real go of 15 which shows his great versatility.

CTPE,

If you are talking about Clarke I agree too. At lasy years State ( and Regional) there was a noticeable difference between the team with Clarke playing at 10 as oppossed to Angeloni. The latter has become to predictable in attack and good flankers that are fast off the break are now able to force errors!

I like others do have concerns with Clarke's defence, and the lad gets bounced around a bit by the bigger boys, nevertheless he is not afraisd to throw his body on the line if it requires the same. He proved this when he was playing Harold Matthews for Balmain.

However he is developing a tendency to ankle tap the bigger boys now which i hate due to the serious leg injuries it can can cause the bigger lads (notwithstanding it is legal i still dont like it).

Regards,
Newbie.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE,

If you are talking about Clarke I agree too. At lasy years State ( and Regional) there was a noticeable difference between the team with Clarke playing at 10 as oppossed to Angeloni. The latter has become to predictable in attack and good flankers that are fast off the break are now able to force errors!

Clark is very good at getting his backline moving forward at pace when he is at 10 and is also very adroit at putting wide runners into holes. Watching Angeloni over the weekend he had a tendency to crab across laterally too much towards his 12 rather than going forward initially and taking his 12 and 13 with him. He also doesn't seem to have a strong left to right pass and certainly doesn't have Jamo's speed. Notwithstanding this he's getting the jump on Clark for the 10 position.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Coffill also struggled with his line out throwing. Whilst he is a busy player I thought he lack real aggression and impact at the breakdown. I like Koutsoukis and he could well end up the Sydney hooker with your Donnelly becoming reserve hooker for Schools.

Jack Ulu played well at 2 for Parra at the State Champs but don't think he go that much game time for the Baa Baas over the weekend.

Where does that leave King ?

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Newbie; said:
However he is developing a tendency to ankle tap the bigger boys now which i hate due to the serious leg injuries it can can cause the bigger lads (notwithstanding it is legal i still dont like it).

Regards,
Newbie.

Newbie - how do you judge the difference - an ankle tap from a dive in desperation vs j Clark style? ( other than 1 "tackler" ends up off his feet in one scenario) My bigger disgust is reserved for boys diving in front of a running player with the deliberate aim of using the body to trip the running player, that and the AFL inspired dove across the legs if the kicking / running player

M

magpie4ever

Does anyone know who the selectors are: Schools, Sydney & Country or are they faceless?

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Moth not sure which of them started at 10 in MWZ 2010 U15's but I'm sure one of the threads regular contributors can provide the answer.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Still starting hooker for Schools as per my selections at #616

Interesting... King is a much better player than he showed this weekend. I just can't see Schools picking an AICES player. More likely is Koutsoukis and King for schools and Donnelly and Coffill for SJRU

M

magpie4ever

Newbie - how do you judge the difference - an ankle tap from a dive in desperation vs j Clark style? ( other than 1 "tackler" ends up off his feet in one scenario) My bigger disgust is reserved for boys diving in front of a running player with the deliberate aim of using the body to trip the running player, that and the AFL inspired dove across the legs if the kicking / running player

I know in junior League there is a tendancy for some players (especially islanders) to launch themselves at the lower leg of an attacking player; no arms just shoulder. I find this hideous, just like my other great p*ss-off - the shoulder charge; which I can see one day having a fatal result (shoulder - direct contact with a player's sternum - heart stops) before the d**ckheads ban it. I'm sure that the two rugby codes were invented as games of tackle. Rugby got this right years ago; whereas the leaguies believe the TV ratings go up when the 'rabbit' screams "and there's another brute big hit". I can see him one day saying that & the player doesn't get up - hope i'm wrong.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Jeez I hope we never see that, but the diving tackle I initially referenced (a grass cutter), the diving player will turn as he dives so that any leg contact is with the back.

Bill McLean (32)

Agree with you wholeheartedly on the 'GRASS CUTTING' tackles. It's repugnant and potentially career ending behaviour! I have personally seen an increase in the usage of such tackles in both league and rugby!

On the other issue I have no problems with 'desperation diving' ankle tapping, I personally dislike the deliberate side step followed by an ankle tap; especially on bigger and slower lads!

M

magpie4ever

Magpie,

A snow-bunny ... is that before or after my wife chops of my cojones ... lmao!!

Before my good man, you wont be much chop (can't help myself) trying to do the job after.:lmao:

Bill McLean (32)
Not getting - deliberate side step followed by ankle tap

When coming face to face with a bigger opponent he steps to the side letting the bigger lad through, then chases behind and lifts the ankle sending the lad into orbit. At the very least he could tackle from behind.

As stated before I have seen some horrific knee injuries result from such a practice (perhaps I should have called it ankle lifting).

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
OK thanks - would be interesting if any referees seeing it & the tackled player going vertical, would see it like a traditional lifting tackle

random2

Johnnie Wallace (23)
OK thanks - would be interesting if any referees seeing it & the tackled player going vertical, would see it like a traditional lifting tackle
seen a few grasscuts this season in GPS rugby and nearly every time the ref has called it as no arms in the tackler or pretty much a shoulder charge to the ankels, sounds about right

Status
Not open for further replies.