• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Respectfully MOTH lets get passed 2011.....

Nah - don 't see him as anything but a 10. He's one of the best readers of the game around, deft touch with the boot, solid passing game. Improving his defence, improving his speed, getting larger, but unlikely to ever be huge - wasted at 9, not suitable LONGTERM in other spots - so he is a 10!

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I have boldly made comment re Selections and coaches etc on another thread .. look fwd to comment..

http://http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/forum/threads/8261-Selection-politics-and-bias-JGS-NTS-unfairness-etc./page4

Wasn't that bold - your suggestion re equality of timing per player just won't work - if all 23 players were 100% interchangeable maybe. The problem lies with the vested interests & political alliances of coaches & selectors all the way up the greasy pole.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just want to raise the issue of young hookers again.

Can anyone tell me that they saw an outstanding no 2 on the weekend?

CTPE,

three could come into the equation.

Coffill from West Zone was mobile and reasonably solid at the set piece. Thought he lost the battle against Donnelly from MNZ in their game, however immediately took a tight head from King (your NSW Schools first choice) when he came on, and looked better than he.

Koutsoukis from Southern was definitely the most skillful on display, and has some toe on him as well. Very solid in the set piece also. I also note you have him as your reserve for schools. Think he may have just taken the No.1 spot

Donnelly (wearing 16) from Northern, dynamic when he came on against Baa baas and started every game after. The most physical and busy of the three, however struggled hitting the targets with his throws alot of the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if all three don't feature in the nationals in September

C

cold coffee

Wasn't that bold - your suggestion re equality of timing per player just won't work - if all 23 players were 100% interchangeable maybe. The problem lies with the vested interests & political alliances of coaches & selectors all the way up the greasy pole.

I didnt say 100% equality - my message was to give the bench players at least 40mins per t/ment.....

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I didnt say 100% equality - my message was to give the bench players at least 40mins per t/ment.....

Nice - but unfortunately the TRIALS have been hijacked by coaches / zones wanting to prove that they are # 1, rather than as a proving ground for young rugby players. This has been added to by environments like this where we actively rank teams rather than try to focus on the talent on display.

M

magpie4ever

Full agree; as all these tournaments are selection trials but also agree with MOTH, 'the problem lies with the vested interests & political alliances of coaches & selectors all the way up the greasy pole.'

Bill McLean (32)
Why are you so negative?

Why are you so negative MOTH? No matter what others in this site offer by way of opinion you always have to criticise, note exceptions, or find fault!

How about you go out on a limb and offer a solution instead of finding fault in everything and everyone!

My goodness we are all searching for that egalitarian rugby utopia, so how about adding your thoughts on improving our junior system instead of re-identifying all of the problems which we all know exisit?

Seriously MOTH can anybody say anything in this room without you belittling them. Your behaviour torward CC on this occassion is unwarranted!

CC you have my agreement!!!

Newbie.

M

magpie4ever

Oh lordie, bring on Wednesday - July 6th.

What time are the squads announced?

I can see this site going into cyber meltdown. There will be some :eek:, some :(, some :) and a lot :mad:

M

magpie4ever

Why are you so negative MOTH? No matter what others in this site offer by way of opinion you always have to criticise, note exceptions, or find fault!

How about you go out on a limb and offer a solution instead of finding fault in everything and everyone!

My goodness we are all searching for that egalitarian rugby utopia, so how about adding your thoughts on improving our junior system instead of re-identifying all of the problems which we all know exisit?

Seriously MOTH can anybody say anything in this room without you belittling them. Your behaviour torward CC on this occassion is unwarranted!

CC you have my agreement!!!

Newbie.

Go Newbie, everyone seems to be getting touchie; final selections must be close:-X

Bill McLean (32)
Go Newbie, everyone seems to be getting touchie; final selections must be close:-X

LMFAO@Magpie ... no my friend just very disappointed at the lack of snow ... long queues ... however as CTPE has noted a good 40-60cm is on the way ... what he neglected to mention is that same is going to be in the form of blizzards ... '@#$%&* WHITE-OUTS' for the next three days!

Newbie.

PS: Pardon any grammar, coming from my iphone tonight!!

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Newbie - so I observe human nature. Ultimately, the solution lies with independent selectors / coaches being introduced earlier on in the food chain - ie at zone level as a minimum. The number of "curious" selection / game descisions outlined throughout this thread says that this what the majority believe. That I have a provocative style - well so what.

M

magpie4ever

LMFAO@Magpie ... no my friend just very disappointed at the lack of snow ... long queues ... however as CTPE has noted a good 40-60cm is on the way ... what he neglected to mention is that same is going to be in the form of blizzards ... '@#$%&* WHITE-OUTS' for the next three days!

Newbie.

PS: Pardon any grammar, coming from my iphone tonight!!

Sir Newbie - my good man, I have a rugby solution to your approaching dilemma; sink more p*ss and find yourself a snowbunny and do what rabbits do best.:cool:

WOW, are you telling me Post: 906 was from an iphone - you are a modern techno genius.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
In summary then you see him as a 15 ...........

Not all but he doesn't seem to get first shot at the 10 jumper when in the same team as Cale (eg Parra and MWZ). I think he's a great 10 but in his current rep teams he's making a real go of 15 which shows his great versatility.

Bill McLean (32)
Sir Newbie - my good man, I have a rugby solution to your approaching dilemma; sink more p*ss and find yourself a snowbunny and do what rabbits do best.:cool:

WOW, are you tell me Post: 906 was from an iphone - you are a modern techno genius.

Magpie,

A snow-bunny ... is that before or after my wife chops of my cojones ... lmao!!

As for #906 on the iphone ... jeez that would take a genius and that I am not! Got tired of the quers so after lunch I went back to the lodge I am staying at in the Valley and hopped on my laptop!

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Not all but he doesn't seem to get first shot at the 10 jumper when in the same team as Cale (eg Parra and MWZ). I think he's a great 10 but in his current rep teams he's making a real go of 15 which shows his great versatility.

Can you recall whether that was the case last season? I have a vague recollection of Clark being seen as a bit of a bolter at 10 for NSWJRU.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE,

three could come into the equation.

Coffill from West Zone was mobile and reasonably solid at the set piece. Thought he lost the battle against Donnelly from MNZ in their game, however immediately took a tight head from King (your NSW Schools first choice) when he came on, and looked better than he.

Koutsoukis from Southern was definitely the most skillful on display, and has some toe on him as well. Very solid in the set piece also. I also note you have him as your reserve for schools. Think he may have just taken the No.1 spot

Donnelly (wearing 16) from Northern, dynamic when he came on against Baa baas and started every game after. The most physical and busy of the three, however struggled hitting the targets with his throws alot of the time.

I wouldn't be surprised if all three don't feature in the nationals in September

Coffill also struggled with his line out throwing. Whilst he is a busy player I thought he lack real aggression and impact at the breakdown. I like Koutsoukis and he could well end up the Sydney hooker with your Donnelly becoming reserve hooker for Schools.

Jack Ulu played well at 2 for Parra at the State Champs but don't think he go that much game time for the Baa Baas over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.