• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

magpie4ever

Ok, anyone want a shot at naming the Schools, Junior & Country Squads

R

rockon

I'll give the Sydney team a go with:
1 J.Matairavula
2 G.Coffill
3 P.Ma'a
4 C.Orr
5 M.Matson
6 G.Taufa
7 J.Mccalman/ P.Tasker
8 M.Afele
9 B.Whicker
10 J.Clark
11 Niu Tupou
12 Trent Winterstein
13 Jack Redden
14 Robert Taufa
15 Harry Jones

spiker

Frank Row (1)
I thought we were asked for a Sydney team ,rockon-not the Para team!
Were you at the games this w/e?

R

rockon

i was in fact spiker, and its obvious through the play that we've seen against the other zones that these players shone above the rest. Regardless of a few extras that should be put in such as B.Amosa, J.Satui, D.Morris, M.Docker, I.Taiki, N.Koutsoukis, C.Quinn and C.Finn. i haven't seen enough of these players this weekend too put them in my starting line up.

M

magpie4ever

I'll give the Sydney team a go with:
1 J.Matairavula
2 G.Coffill
3 P.Ma'a
4 C.Orr
5 M.Matson
6 G.Taufa
7 J.Mccalman/ P.Tasker
8 M.Afele
9 B.Whicker
10 J.Clark
11 Niu Tupou
12 Trent Winterstein
13 Jack Redden
14 Robert Taufa
15 Harry Jones

That takes a few players out of Schools

R

rockon

still don't understand the system, because from what i've heard is that sydney have precedence over all player disputes. Hurt to write a few of those names in the sydney team as i imagine some of the boys would rather play in a blue strip

spiker

Frank Row (1)
Fair comment rockon,my changes are all your loosies 6,7 and 8.Would clearly have Milaki in-has to be as he's one of the most impressive U16's-but stress not as a numb 8-have to put him front row.Morris and Amosa clear best 7 and 6,and although I've said to move Milaki struggled to find another good 8.
Also think Angeloni has to be in the mix,and felt he often plays a stronger and safer game than Clark,but both quality and would both be on squad.Also not convinced with Orr in front of Williams-he was picked CAS opens in front of Orr.Matson should be in mix,but Schools could grab him....
Also Docker as winger-gosh thought there were plenty in every team better than him.Really the MNZ backs were substandard and missed the big Norths boy Wolfgramm clearly.

M

magpie4ever

still don't understand the system, because from what i've heard is that sydney have precedence over all player disputes. Hurt to write a few of those names in the sydney team as i imagine some of the boys would rather play in a blue strip

Is it possible that Country selectors can select players who represented CCC or CHS at the School Titles, but not at the State or Regional titles?

From what Newbie wrote - players who are on the initial list of all or two squads go into a ballot and Juniors get 1st pick then either country or schools, then they horse trade to get or seek combinations.

R

rockon

Orr was selected in CAS opens as well but declined due to his injury, also as a prop not a second row. Williams played 6 this weekend and from what i saw, he is better in 2nd row , could see him in the mix though regardless of where he played on the weekend, but all great versatile players. I noticed that as well with him missing, Wolfrgramm would have made a huge impact.

M

magpie4ever

Given that system above - no wonder it takes until July 6 to finalise the squads.

M

magpie4ever

Orr was selected in CAS opens as well but declined due to his injury, also as a prop not a second row. Williams played 6 this weekend and from what i saw, he is better in 2nd row , could see him in the mix though regardless of where he played on the weekend, but all great versatile players. I noticed that as well with him missing, Wolfrgramm would have made a huge impact.

Sorry, but at a trial & the School titles was the 1st time I had seen Robbie. From what I had previously heard I was disappointed, having been told about Robbie making the U15s league & union merit lists last year. I believe if he wants to remain a rep centre he needs to take about 15kgs off, I also noticed he was selected in the front row in the league side. He also seemed to have hamstring problems maybe this could be a reason for the fitness issues.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Country U/16's

They will struggle bigtime. Last year's team was very competative with Sandell,Penissi,Hardy,Davis.Tulloch and Crossely. Without these boys I reckon they'll be flat out beating a zone team.

OK Dingdong & CTPE - I'm going to have to call you on this after the weekends games!:)

A great result for the Boy's from the Bush - One loss from four games, beat the eventual winners ( and tournament favourites ) MWZ, points differential of +3!

I think it goes a long way to answer the question we considered about the depth in Country rugby - those newbies ( apologies to the contributor of the same on this forum :) ) did stand up! Well done to the Boys!

A couple of observations from the weekend :

Tulloch at fullback (22) was outstanding. Every time he was NOT playing it made a huge difference. The comment has been made on this forum - how versatile is this guy!

Andrews was good as well, and consistently so!

The most pleasing thing after those 2 was that individuals didn't standout as much across the 4 games - these guys really played for each other and gave it everything!

Finally - fantastic rugby played by all the Boys over the weekend! No real "blow outs" and some great skills on display. Congrats to MWZ and to all the participants. Congrats also to the Boys who are selected to go further.

All the Best, Wreckless

M

magpie4ever

I reckon it is time for silence until the squads are announced, then I believe this thread will go blastic. Good Luck to all the boys.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
How well awesome were Country? The team gets brought together from all over the state and the played with great understanding and cohesion. Very well drilled, in my opinion. The full back broke every first tackle versus Parra. Awesome to see the 15s and 16s working together, great rugby values.

MNZ, I had heard all these huge things about them. Passing in the backs, definitely needs to be worked on. Forwards, big no.4 came on at the end versus MWZ and totally pwned versus MSZ - why leave him so late? Cannot workout what can I have gone wrong, didnt these guys beat Parra at the last level?

Parra - tepai, malaki, worth the price of admission just for these 2. What an awesome game versus country. Bad luck boys.

Baa Baas, how good are these guys? How didnt they get selected for other teams, great teamwork and commitment.

MSZ, so unlucky versus MNZ. A kick on the final whistle. Was it 18 to 17? Desperately unlucky. 22 was great.

I think an important issue is the coaching of line out, timing seemed all wrong, lifters didnt know wehre to go, throwing was off. Is this the league influence? Do kids train for this area anymore?

Parra - I love this post! Positives all round ( mostly! :) ) and food for thought!

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Before the Westies get too excited about bashing Northern Zone guys... Although Northern Zone only won one game all weekend, they only lost one. They held Country to a draw who beat West and Baa Baas to a draw who beat Country. In the game they lost against West, up until the last 10 or 15 mins they dominated possession. Seems to me that all sides involved in this weekend could have beaten each other on a given day, which is a credit to the process.

Northern Zone also rocked by the late pull outs of Wolfgramm, Goodearl and Cannell (and the absence of Kellaway).

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
Before the Westies get too excited about bashing Northern Zone guys... Although Northern Zone only won one game all weekend, they only lost one. They held Country to a draw who beat West and Baa Baas to a draw who beat Country. In the game they lost against West, up until the last 10 or 15 mins they dominated possession. Seems to me that all sides involved in this weekend could have beaten each other on a given day, which is a credit to the process.

Northern Zone also rocked by the late pull outs of Wolfgramm, Goodearl and Cannell (and the absence of Kellaway).

Malcsy, up until now your posts have contained points of merit, however this one seems to be full off frustration and anger. I suggest you pick up your dummy, rattle and little red truck and put them back in the cot and ask yourself how come the "westies" did so well and why MNZ didn't finish off and win the games, that on paper they should of.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Malcsy, up until now your posts have contained points of merit, however this one seems to be full off frustration and anger. I suggest you pick up your dummy, rattle and little red truck and put them back in the cot and ask yourself how come the "westies" did so well and why MNZ didn't finish off and win the games, that on paper they should of.

Like I said before - it will be very interesting to see what the repercussions are. Commentary on here has been rife since teams were picked that MNZ had made some duff choices, and the quality that the baa baas had to play with (unexpectedly high). No one expected much of MSZ - and they delivered. But MNZ - shockers - despite their protests of close games, and no Kellaway.

D

Dingdong

OK Dingdong & CTPE - I'm going to have to call you on this after the weekends games!:)

A great result for the Boy's from the Bush - One loss from four games, beat the eventual winners ( and tournament favourites ) MWZ, points differential of +3!

I think it goes a long way to answer the question we considered about the depth in Country rugby - those newbies ( apologies to the contributor of the same on this forum :) ) did stand up! Well done to the Boys!

A couple of observations from the weekend :

Tulloch at fullback (22) was outstanding. Every time he was NOT playing it made a huge difference. The comment has been made on this forum - how versatile is this guy!

Andrews was good as well, and consistently so!

The most pleasing thing after those 2 was that individuals didn't standout as much across the 4 games - these guys really played for each other and gave it everything!

Finally - fantastic rugby played by all the Boys over the weekend! No real "blow outs" and some great skills on display. Congrats to MWZ and to all the participants. Congrats also to the Boys who are selected to go further.

All the Best, Wreckless

Only too happy to be wrong on this occassion wreckless. Yes, country were committed and played well and if not for one more try against Baa Baa's, would have finished 1 instead of 3. Can't help but think what would have happened if Sandell,Pinnisi, Hawkins,Crossley,Davis,Jennings and Delore all played.

The ridiculous thing about NSW Country is they themselves eliminate the possibility of being very competative or even winninig the Nationals by ruling out any kid who didn't play at their Country Championships. They do this despite all the above metioned boys having played right thru the age groups as Country reps. Sydney Juniors and Schools worked out years ago that some of their best players might not be availale to play at their respective age championship but they DON'T rule them out.

If Country took lets say a country origin team to the Nationals every year, I'ld say they may have well won one or two and finished in top 3 reguarlly. The flow on effect of this is, Schools would come back to the field a bit and a whole lot of Schools players good enough to be at the Nationals would be at the nationals. If the bone heads at NSW Country had of done this years ago, no one would be talking now about dismantling the Nationals format and taking just 2 NSW teams. We would have 3 very competative NSW teams every year. NSW Country don't just shoot themselves in the foot, they self inflict one between the eye's as well !!

Status
Not open for further replies.