• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dingdong

Thought my post last night would be my last for a while, then I decided bugger this; I have a better system then the present one. So here it is, your comments are welcome. Especially from those who believe the present system is r**ted.

As most of you know I’m one of the most vocal critics of the present system that sees favouritism, nepotism, politics and out right amateurism at the forefront of selections at least for Schools & (I believe) Sydney Juniors: examples; GPS coach sees 14 GPS players selected in schools & CAS coach sees 8 plus CAS players selected in Sydney Juniors., that sees CCC play so well at schools yet only get 1 player in Schools (the 2 in country was more to do with their selection to play for country at the regionals then playing for CCC at schools), that doesn’t and will never recognise a brilliant individual player in ACIES or country schools (maybe the next Cooper, Genia, Eales or O’connor) due to the teams’ overall lack of strength.

This result, I believe, at times in the wrong players going forward or future champion players being overlooked.

What I prepose below, is left of centre and outside the box but I believe is a possible solution (the logistics can be worked out if this forum believes there is some merit in it) to the extremely imperfect system that presently exist.

DD, you will need to read slowly as parts of it will be fairly complex but overall it is a fairly simple proposal.

1. Each school association run there selection trials (GPS, CAS, IAS, CCC, AICES, CHS and Country Schools) and then selected their squads of 23 players.
2. Players who are not selected in these squads above, but play club rugby (from overall NSW) on weekends then have a second chance by playing in selections trials for two more squads to be selected, lets call them Probables and Possibles. These squads are then selected.
3. So, there are now 8 squads & 8 lots of team coaches and management.
4. Now, sometime before the NSW selection trials, the 8 lots of team coaches/management come together. (this is the complex, out of the box part but stay with me)
5. They select a number from 1-8, to see who will get first pick out of the barrel. As an example, lets say it falls this way – 1: AICES, 2: ISA 3: CCC, 4: GPS, 5: Probables, 6: Country Schools, 7: CAS and 8: Possibles.
6. Ok, the first and only players to be drawn are the no:1s (Prop).
7. In this example, the AICES coach/management draws say CCC, ISA draws Possibles, CCC draws GPS, GPS draws AICES, Probables draws CAS, CAS draws Country Schools and Possibles draws CHS.
8. They now have their first players in their new combined ‘equal in talent’squads.
9. The 2nd player onwards rotates from the first draw upwards. So the new AICES (obviously change the squad name to say squad A) squad accepts the Possibles hooker as their number 2, ISA gets the GPS number 2, CCC gets AICES hooker, and so on and on until all squads have their 23 new squad members.
10. From this system, no new squad can have more then 3 players from their original squads.
11. Now it gets tricky, but lets say set aside a week during the July school holidays. University campus with on-site student accommodation would be best suited for logistics.
12. All players arrive on the Monday and train with their new squads under the guidance of the respective coaches/management until the competition starts on the Thursday.
13. Competition – 8 teams, 2 groups, 4 teams per group.
14. Round Robin Situation: Thursday – 2 games and Friday morning – 1game.
15. Finals: Friday afternoon: Depending on the results of the preliminary games.
16. 1st Place team (Group 1) v 1st Place team (Group2) etc.
17. Every team or squad plays 4 games.
18. True independent selectors (say 1 from ARU, 1 from Waratahs, 1 additional) watch all games.
19. At the end of the finals – NSW 1, NSW2 and possibly NSW3 are selected.
20. Here is the icing on the cake & gets rid of the nepotism and other crap.
21. The coach/management from the winners of the Final 1 v 1 becomes the coach/management of NSW1; the coach/management from the losers of the Final 1 v 1 becomes the coach/management of NSW2.
22. And if there is a NSW3, the coach/management from the winners of Final 2 v 2 becomes the coach/management.

Positives:

• all squads would have relevant equal ability; therefore every player would have game time to shine
• the true ability of coaches to bring a team together would be tested and this ability would be rewarded.

Yeh, I read it slowly..... twice in fact.....it's crap !!

R

rara10

Yeh, I read it slowly..... twice in fact.....it's crap !!

DD
Here’s a thought it might not be crap. I too witnessed the GPS trials and saw a lot of very good boys miss out, actually they could have sent a second team that more than likely would have finished second under the current system. So using Maggies system even more GPS boys could go to the Nationals
Who said Maggie wasn’t a good bloke.

D

Dingdong

Scared are we DD, GPS players to have a true test.

What are you on about ?? Seriously Maggy, GPS players who missed out on selection for the GPS team MADE the SJ team. If you think the shools selectors sre biased toward GPS kids, you must think the SJ guys are in on the same conspiracy. Come on mate, wake up !!

D

Dingdong

DD
Here’s a thought it might not be crap. I too witnessed the GPS trials and saw a lot of very good boys miss out, actually they could have sent a second team that more than likely would have finished second under the current system. So using Maggies system even more GPS boys could go to the Nationals

You're an ideas man rara!!

R

rara10

You're an ideas man rara!!

DD
Just had another thought maybe if Country held their selections after the GPS trials the boarders that missed out on GPS could make Country and do to the Nationals it just gets better.

M

magpie4ever

DD

Just what i expected from the GPS old boys. As you guys like to say, "give us the name of a player who should replace this GPS player"; I say, use some intelligence and tell me why it wouldn't work or do you intend to remain abusive. As I said, it would be a real test of every players ability and a coach's ability,

R

rara10

Just what i expected from the GPS old boys. As you guys like to say, "give us the name of a player who should replace this GPS player"; I say, use some intelligence and tell me why it wouldn't work or do you intend to remain abusive. As I said, it would be a real test of every players ability and a coach's ability,

As i said the ARU wanted to try something similar and all in sundry want to whinge about it

R

rara10

GPS old boy mate you could not be further from the truth. Have a look at my singlet and dog.

M

magpie4ever

As i said the ARU wanted to try something similar and all in sundry want to whinge about it

This has zero to do with the ARU. These are full on selection trials, just a different concept to the present one. NTS & JGS members would need to trial like anyone else.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Magpie, you seem so angered that GPS had so many more players selected than other associations, yet you havn't given any names of boys who were unfairly left out or the names of boys they should have replaced you simply assume that because they have such high numbers that the system is corrupt when perhaps you should face up to that fact that all those 14 GPS players selected were thouroughly deserving of there selections?

M

magpie4ever

Magpie, you seem so angered that GPS had so many more players selected than other associations, yet you havn't given any names of boys who were unfairly left out or the names of boys they should have replaced you simply assume that because they have such high numbers that the system is corrupt when perhaps you should face up to that fact that all those 14 GPS players selected were thouroughly deserving of there selections?

Not at all mate, I could put forward a dozen names to replace certain GPS, CAS, CHS players & the agrument would go on. I stand by my comment that my proposal would open up the field, let the best players rise to the top and if that is same GPS, CAS, CHS players so to be it. There would no talk of bias etc.

D

Dingdong

GPS old boy ay !!! O.K maggot , you've gone too far.... You are sooooo wrong mate !! I m proud of my stae school edumacation and would love to see nothing more than a strong CHS team. Unless you can give me names....names !!, I'm going back to my beer !!

Status
Not open for further replies.