• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Player Burn Out

Now here’s a thought – with the discussion about players over extending themselves [burn out] by playing too many high quality games - school, club, reps for district & region – reps for school system & potentially also playing some serious league HM cup etc, it’s obvious that self (or parental) regulation just won’t / can’t work.

If we address the “why do they do it?” part of the equation we can start to see potential solutions that sidestep the flawed self regulation route.

Remember – by the time you realise burn out is occurring it’s too late – it’s like dehydration – the damage is done!

Each boy that is playing this standard of rugby and appearing in what might be argued as too many teams - is trying to work their way up the selection ladder – there is a handsome living to be made in professional rugby; so the big risk, big reward scenario is in play.

Issue 1 – is there a policy on how much of a good thing is too much, save for IRB / ARU mandated 100 (?) minutes per day.

Issue 2 - IF NSWRU or ARU – not juniors or schools took this issue seriously (or perhaps even thought it was an issue), someone would have a database showing what each higher level participant’s annual rugby commitments were and then managed it, either through education or by prohibition i.e. non selection – players have to be told!

Issue 3 – but what about the leaguies? I think you’d find that a joint approach to a common problem in these circumstances would be easier to negotiate than many would think.

Issue 4 - What about the NTS I hear you call from the cheap seats?

Yes an ideal place to start, but as has been argued elsewhere, there is no guarantee that all aspirants to the highest levels are involved in NTS programs and in truth, a few of the younger boys I see getting around at NTS level, are not 1st pick players with any of the 3 metro zone squads in U16s this weekend. Also, to my mind NTS has a definite club flavour and has a TENDENCY to miss out the boys who are only doing schools.

In the end – if you want to understand the curious situation that is junior rugby (including schools) in NSW – have a read of the Garling report http://www.nswrugby.com.au/NSWRugby/Competitions/Juniors.aspx. Can’t recall precisely, but Garling was a 1st grade referee through the 70s and 80s and I think is a retired judge or magistrate or something and I imagine has a life long tie to the code.

After you’ve read it, read the response from NSWRU – a curious piece of writing.

Maybe the answer for the U16s to balance out the NTS argument is to have a game between the NTS boys and an all-comers (non NTS) XV – might throw a few cats into the pigeons.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
You're right - that's an impressive list of "outs"! They do have the boys you mentioned in your previous post #718, and I think you mentioned Mill (23) and Hawkins (4) from AICES in another post from the weekend, plus the CCC No.21 (Chapman?) - but still it's a lot to cover. Maybe will give some idea of the real depth with all those boys having moved on.Thanks.

HiTh

Stan Wickham (3)
if these players are picked in the sydney side, which players do you guys believe would replace those picked in CTPE's side; e.g Harry jones, malaki Afele, Oliver Kamp

D

Dingdong

You're right - that's an impressive list of "outs"! They do have the boys you mentioned in your previous post #718, and I think you mentioned Mill (23) and Hawkins (4) from AICES in another post from the weekend, plus the CCC No.21 (Chapman?) - but still it's a lot to cover. Maybe will give some idea of the real depth with all those boys having moved on.Thanks.

Totally agree, this will test the depth of country. Hopefully a few players will rise to the occasion. Just heard Adrian Delore is a long shot to play this weekend. That'll be a huge blow if correct. On a bright note, new half back Chapman had a really good schools championships and looks to have done a lot of work on his game. Lokking forward to watching the new look side run around.

Bill McLean (32)
Is that not the $10 million question ... ... lmao!!!!

if these players are picked in the sydney side, which players do you guys believe would replace those picked in CTPE's side; e.g Harry jones, malaki Afele, Oliver Kamp

Alright Hith spill it out, you came in here wanting to start another divisive debate eh ... lmao? You just couldn't let me have all the glory with the 'INJURY AND PLAYER BURNOUT' debate I created could ya ... lmao ... bloody upstart ... lmao!!!

Alright all you experts this is by far the best question I have seen in the last two weeks! Ding Dong, MOTH, CTPE, LEE, MALCY, MAGPIE, RT, and DERMO please enlighten the less experienced ... I'm going to sit back and watch this one enfold with much anticipation ... Sydney v NSWSRU ... very tidy indeed ... lmao!!!

Regards,
Newbie.

Rugby Tragic

Chris McKivat (8)
Alright Hith spill it out, you came in here wanting to start another divisive debate eh ... lmao? You just couldn't let me have all the glory with the 'INJURY AND PLAYER BURNOUT' debate I created could ya ... lmao ... bloody upstart ... lmao!!!

Alright all you experts this is by far the best question I have seen in the last two weeks! Ding Dong, MOTH, CTPE, LEE, MALCY, MAGPIE, RT, and DERMO please enlighten the less experienced ... I'm going to sit back and watch this one enfold with much anticipation ... Sydney v NSWSRU ... very tidy indeed ... lmao!!!

Regards,
Newbie.

This is going to be hilarious.Could end up the TIAGS v The Orange Men lmao hahahaha.

D

Dingdong

Quoting HiTh

Below is CTPE's team. I've taken out the players Hith has metioned and added in a few suggestions

1. Matt Sandell (GPS) (vice captain)
2. Jack King (GPS)
3. Jackson Mclean (CCC)
4. Josh Schwager (GPS)
5. Tom Cutler (GPS)
6. Sam Hefron (chs) ****
7. Angus MacDougall (CCC)
8. David Morris (GPS)*****
9. Rory Davis (GPS) (captain)
10. Andrew Deegan (GPS)
11. Jimmy Ah-Chung (CHS)
12. Corey Tulloch (GPS)
13. Michael Morgan (CCC)
14. Oscar Pople (GPS)
15. Will Davies (CCC)*****
16. Jarrod Matairavula (CHS)
17. Cam Orr (CAS)
18. Anthony Vasillis (CHS)******
19. Nick Pennisi (GPS)
20. Cale Angeloni (ISA)
21. Joey Lussick (GPS)
22. Nick Koutsoukis (CAS)
23. Doug Streeter (GPS)
24. Alex Lyons (GPS)
25. Ben Cotton (ISA)

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Well if Harry Jones was to play Sydney, the ISA fullback looked solid, he scored a great indivdual try in 1 game from about halfway where he broke a few tackles, i didnt have a program so i didnt catch his name, but he was an Auggies boy.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Also does a player who is picked for both Sydney and Schools have the right to choose which team they want to play in?

D

Dingdong

Well if Harry Jones was to play Sydney, the ISA fullback looked solid, he scored a great indivdual try in 1 game from about halfway where he broke a few tackles, i didnt have a program so i didnt catch his name, but he was an Auggies boy.

Hayden Cochrane

Bill McLean (32)
This all too perplexing for me ... maybe we should leave the selections to the respective SJRU, NSWCJRU, and NSWSRU brains trusts ... lmfao!!

Sorry Mr Garling I was only joking ... disregard my last statement ... i had a brain snap ... lol!!

Keep 'em rolling in gentlemen!!

Bill McLean (32)
Below is CTPE's team. I've taken out the players Hith has metioned and added in a few suggestions 1. Matt Sandell (GPS) (vice captain) 2. Jack King (GPS) 3. Jackson Mclean (CCC) 4. Josh Schwager (GPS) 5. Tom Cutler (GPS) 6. Sam Hefron (chs) **** 7. Angus MacDougall (CCC) 8. David Morris (GPS)***** 9. Rory Davis (GPS) (captain) 10. Andrew Deegan (GPS) 11. Jimmy Ah-Chung (CHS) 12. Corey Tulloch (GPS) 13. Michael Morgan (CCC) 14. Oscar Pople (GPS) 15. Will Davies (CCC)***** 16. Jarrod Matairavula (CHS) 17. Cam Orr (CAS) 18. Anthony Vasillis (CHS)****** 19. Nick Pennisi (GPS) 20. Cale Angeloni (ISA) 21. Joey Lussick (GPS) 22. Nick Koutsoukis (CAS) 23. Doug Streeter (GPS) 24. Alex Lyons (GPS) 25. Ben Cotton (ISA)[/QUOTE said:
I am salivating at the prosect of the above centre combination being fed by the like of Deegan ... choice team DD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.