• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rara10

NO

It should be about having a system that protects the child from themselves – they are ill equipped to make informed decisions about what is right and then to protect the player from being improperly influenced by parents or other adults who do not necessarily have the child’s GENUINE best interest at heart.

The ARU / IRB have done about 25% of the job by placing limits on a daily basis – and the examples of that being thrown in the pan at the first opportunity is legendary.

For U16s think about it – they all play intense games at school &/or club. The majority will have played at State Junior champs on the long weekend, they just played 3 big games at school titles / selection trials, and are about to go around at the regionals this weekend – that is a huge workload for a 16 year old!

The big problem with burnout is that by the time you recognize that you are experiencing it – it’s too damn late!

I agree with what you are saying but if not the parents who is going to control the cross over with league? Our system can only do so much.

HiTh

Stan Wickham (3)
how does the issue of players named in both SJRU and NSW schools teams work? as i understand sydney gets preference. and if so, which players named in CTPE's squad will be in line for selection?

D

Dingdong

Man on the hill

You make it sound like the players have to play via schools and club.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
I agree with what you are saying but if not the parents who is going to control the cross over with league? Our system can only do so much.

unfortunately it has to be the parents (or the player themselves) - the kids are just having fun.

The systems (particularly when two codes are involved) will likely only look out for themselves.

But ask a tubby kid about McDonalds - I was just eating! The parent has to say NO occasionally.

D

Dingdong

I'm just having a look at the teams for this weekend and are wondering how many do you think are realistic contenders for both Schools and Sydney Juniors. Here is a starting list of players who schools might be looking at( after last weekend), that are also playing this weekend. Am I missing any ?

Michael Docker - Gordon
Dylan Goodearl - Northern Suburbs
Harry Jones - Warringah
Nathan Kelly - Gordon
Jack King - Gordon
David Morris - Northern Suburbs
Jack Redden - Gordon
Harrison Williams - Northern Suburbs
Rob Wolfgramm - Northern Suburbs
Malaki Afele - Parramatta
Cale Angeloni - Parramatta
Jamieson Clark - Parramatta
Benjamin Cotton - Eastwood
Jarod Matairavula Parramatta
Matthew Matson - Parramatta
Tepai Moeroa - Parramatta
Nicholas Reid - Eastwood
Jake Roberts - Parramatta
Peter Semaan - West Harbour
Brent Whicker - Parramatta
Jim Ah Cheung - Parramatta
Eric Aukofolau -Penrith Barbarians
Oliver Kamp - Gordon
Puipaa Maa - Parramatta

B

beaver

Man on the Hill has a good point. Some of these boys train mornings & afternoons at school, train & play club rugby, train for reps rugby and then back up & play on the weekend up to 2 to 3 games. Then they have the State Champs, selection trials and now regionals ... and are expected to play outstanding rugby 24/7. Let's not forget they are only 16 and we don't want them to burnout not only physically but mentally.

D

Dingdong

Man on the Hill has a good point. Some of these boys train mornings & afternoons at school, train & play club rugby, train for reps rugby and then back up & play on the weekend up to 2 to 3 games. Then they have the State Champs, selection trials and now regionals ... and are expected to play outstanding rugby 24/7. Let's not forget they are only 16 and we don't want them to burnout not only physically but mentally.

You may have noticed that quite a few boys have chosen one code and one pathway to get where they want to be. Again "horses for courses", players (and parents) need to work out how much is too much.No one is forceing ( I hope !!!) you boys to play in the 2 pathways and/or other codes.

Bill McLean (32)
Dingdong - My Additions!

With the exception of Ollie Kamp, Harry Jones (emphasis added to this lad), Malaki Afele, Brent Whicker, and Harry Williams none of the others lived up to the expectations I originally had of them. They were perhaps stand-outs for many last year, however at the Schools I found them severly lacking especially in games of adversity, and for mine did nothing spectacular or exceptional for me on the weekend!

I will qualify my above statement by noting the that Moeroa was nowhere his best as a result of injury; that Jake Roberts was not at Schools (great in attack but was exposed in defence at State); that Aukofolau was not at Schools (and is a very hard runner and defender who represented the Parramatta HM team this year).

I am surprised not to see the names of George Taufa (a SJRU and NSWJRU U/15 rep from 2010 who goes hard); Iona Taiki (a very under-rated player who works tirelessly who is also a powerful runner and great defender); Brandon Paenga Amosa (one of the few CHS forwards who never gave up in the game against GPS at Schools who was also a SJRU rep from 2010); and Michael Morgan (for reasons previously stated).

On a final note here are two smokeys; Hector Titterton (MSZ Lock); and Alofosio Tatola (MWZ if he doesn't sustain an injury).

Regards,
Newbie.

Bill McLean (32)
My Understanding!!

how does the issue of players named in both SJRU and NSW schools teams work? as i understand sydney gets preference. and if so, which players named in CTPE's squad will be in line for selection?

If there are those who are more knowledgeable of this process please correct me if I am wrong, however this how the same was explained to me.

On the 6th July (being the conclusion of NSW Regional) the SJRU, NSWJRU and NSWSRU meet. At this meeting the SJRU and NSWSRU table their respective team lists for the National Championship. At this stage it would be better to call the initial team lists 'WISH LISTS' because it always the case that certain names appear on both lists. This is where it gets interesting!

Players appearing on both lists then go into a 'Ballot' (which is where I may come unstuck). From my understanding of the 'Ballot' and how it works is as follows. All the players go into a pool where each association takes alternate turns selecting a player until all of the players have been divided up between the two associations.

It doesn't end here because both associations engage in what they call 'HORSE TRADING' (i.e. trying to keep working combinations of players together and the like) until both associations are relatively happy with the team the respective teams they have formed! This whole process is acknowledged through a 'Memorandum of Understanding'.

It is my understanding that it is NSWSRU's turn to have first pick in the Ballot this year, and if it happens to be the case that the number of players in the Ballot is uneven they will get the extra player!

Like I said, I will stand corrected if I am wrong, but this is how it was explained to me!

Regards,
Newbie.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
CTPE, I also note you have David Morris as a reserve. Would be interested to hear your take on him. I find him to be a top quality player and also a leader.

Malcsy I saw him in all of his games over the weekend and thought he was very impressive. Very high work rate both in attack and defence and was always invoved at the breakdown. From the socks he was wearing he goes to Newington... does he play 16s there or Opens? I note that he also plays for Norths Pirates.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Dingdong

I don't think that Harrison Williams, Nick Reid, Jake Roberts and Peter Semaan played over the weekend at the Schools champs so they'd only be eligible for the Sydney team if selected after this weekends Regional games.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Why not Morgan?

I know most have moved onto to Regionals now, however I have just finished perusing these pages and have a question for RT concerning CTPE's team selection after the School Champs, in particular the preference of Moeroa over Morgan (but not even giving Morgan a spot on the bench). Moreover I have made some comments about elite juniors and injuries sustained by them as a result of excessive game-time. I would appreciate others feedback concerning the same!

Newbie not sure if you were looking for a response from me on Morgan but you'll see from the team that I posted at #616 that I actually had him in my starting side at 13. I didn't have Moerea in the squad at all.

Bill McLean (32)
No Need!

Newbie not sure if you were looking for a response from me on Morgan but you'll see from the team that I posted at #616 that I actually had him in my starting side at 13. I didn't have Moerea in the squad at all.

CTPE,

No my friend I wasn't. I was actually surprised he didn't agree with your team at #616 (or more to the point the selection of Morgan). As a result I was wondering why he didn't!

Regards,
Newbie.

D

Dingdong

If there are those who are more knowledgeable of this process please correct me if I am wrong, however this how the same was explained to me.

On the 6th July (being the conclusion of NSW Regional) the SJRU, NSWJRU and NSWSRU meet. At this meeting the SJRU and NSWSRU table their respective team lists for the National Championship. At this stage it would be better to call the initial team lists 'WISH LISTS' because it always the case that certain names appear on both lists. This is where it gets interesting!

Players appearing on both lists then go into a 'Ballot' (which is where I may come unstuck). From my understanding of the 'Ballot' and how it works is as follows. All the players go into a pool where each association takes alternate turns selecting a player until all of the players have been divided up between the two associations.

It doesn't end here because both associations engage in what they call 'HORSE TRADING' (i.e. trying to keep working combinations of players together and the like) until both associations are relatively happy with the team the respective teams they have formed! This whole process is acknowledged through a 'Memorandum of Understanding'.

It is my understanding that it is NSWSRU's turn to have first pick in the Ballot this year, and if it happens to be the case that the number of players in the Ballot is uneven they will get the extra player!

Like I said, I will stand corrected if I am wrong, but this is how it was explained to me!

Regards,
Newbie.

My understanding is the same Newbie, except NSW Country are also involved in a 3 way Ballot. From what I can tell only 3 country players may be affected. They would be Adrian Delore, Sam Hefron and Angus McDougal.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
My understanding is the same Newbie, except NSW Country are also involved in a 3 way Ballot. From what I can tell only 3 country players may be affected. They would be Adrian Delore, Sam Hefron and Angus McDougal.

Any thoughts on how NSW Country will go this weekend? There seems to be a rich vein of talent coming from Country when you see the boys who were running around last weekend ( across all teams ) who played in last years Country U/15's!

Cheers!

D

Dingdong

Any thoughts on how NSW Country will go this weekend? There seems to be a rich vein of talent coming from Country when you see the boys who were running around last weekend ( across all teams ) who played in last years Country U/15's!

Cheers!

They will struggle bigtime. Last year's team was very competative with Sandell,Penissi,Hardy,Davis.Tulloch and Crossely. Without these boys I reckon they'll be flat out beating a zone team.

Status
Not open for further replies.