• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW U16 Trial Games and Selections 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Other Qualifications: BAppSc(SpMgt), LLB, GDLP, L1 ARU Coach. And last of all, and my proudest acheivement, my QBE! (I wont tell you what I work as because as stated before in this room I want to maintain my anonimity).
What the eff do all those abbreviations mean..

M

magpie4ever

And please no lawyer jokes, I've heard them all ... lmao!!!!

Trying to line up the sports management with the legal qualifications.

Quick question: Do you have a boy who was in the Regional Gold Talent Squad/s? If so, might be getting closer to your identity.

M

magpie4ever

Hey Dingdong,

Heard on the grapevine the only reason the CCC No:9 got a run in the 2nd half of the final game was the selectors demanded it. He was told so and was also advised by the coaching staff that because he was only 15 years old he had taken the spot of a 16 year old (someone who would only have one shot) where he was getting two because he can go back next year.

How's that for treating a player and imagine the pressure he was under - 25 minutes to show what other players had up to 130 minutes to do. Nice, hey.

Bill McLean (32)
Why not Morgan?

I know most have moved onto to Regionals now, however I have just finished perusing these pages and have a question for RT concerning CTPE's team selection after the School Champs, in particular the preference of Moeroa over Morgan (but not even giving Morgan a spot on the bench). Moreover I have made some comments about elite juniors and injuries sustained by them as a result of excessive game-time. I would appreciate others feedback concerning the same!

RT most in this site think Morgan played well and I agree with them. Why do you not think he deserves a spot in the team? If so why (what is your opinion based upon)? For mine he played very well all week-end, especially in the game against ISA on day 2 (where the CCC backline finally received some decent ball). Essentially Morgan had the wood on all of his opposing centres (in fact in the ISA game they were Cotton and Wolfgramm who you might know are ARU JGS members and were also selected in the NSWJRU U/15's last year).

Essentially the lad is a decent player, however I will emphatically agree with you that Moeroa is playing well below par as result of an injury. In doing so I too have noticed that he is carrying a debilitating knee injury; in fact I believe i seen him sustain (or at least exacerbate) the same at the State Champs. With respect to his injury did his mother happen to mention to why she (or Tepai’s coach) was allowing him to even play! For mine Tepai has already played a dangerously high amount of combined League and Rugby games so far this year and needs to rest out of fear of sustaining something more serious (or permanent)! This year he would have played approximately 13 games for his Parramatta HM team (which is inclusive of trials); 6 for his Rugby team, Hills; and possibly 10 or so games for his school, Newington. Add to this the State Champs, 4 games; and the School Champs just gone, 4 games. This is a combined total of approximately 37 games of football and we are only just over half way through the season!

To put what I have stated into context I had a meeting with a very experienced assistant coach from a leading NRL club couple of weeks ago and part of our discussion concerned junior elite players and the amount of football they played during the course of any given season. He subsequently informed me that it was a rule of thumb at his club that no junior elite player should be playing over 30 games of league in a year (and this was inclusive of rep, club and school). According to this man (who has served under Wayne Bennett during his coaching career) anything over 30 games a year for a junior elite player was encroaching upon the ‘VERY DANGEROUS’. It was his experience that anything in excess of 30 games a year often resulted in junior players sustaining injuries which gradually worsened if the junior did not rest, cut back, or stop playing altogether! In the end he was able to recite a list of young lads (who were touted as the next ‘Benji Marshalls’) who were not able to finish their journey to the NRL!

I know some of you will suggest that it is not a proper comparison (i.e. League vis a vis Union), however by way of analogy I believe it highlights the point I am trying to make, that is we need to look after are talented and gifted junior players and try and deliver the same to the finishing line; the ‘WALLABIES’. This then begs the following question, “is there someone within the ARU or NSWRU (or SJRU, NSWJRU, NSWSRU) monitoring the amount of game time our junior elite players a accruing?” Maybe not, and given my earlier post about their being to many self-servient rugby structures within NSW, I would not be surprised!

And now onto the Regionals. Baa Baa's to kick ass, and MSZ to be the whipping boys is my prediction!!!

Regards,

I

International Badboy

you aren't by any chance the CCC number 9 are you dermo?

Bill McLean (32)
No my friend I don't! However I have professional ties to indivuduals/groups that manage some of the boys within the ARU Gold Squads, if that gets you any closer ... lmao!!

Regards,
Newbie.

Man on the hill

Alex Ross (28)
Newbie - the players assoc'n for rugby negotiated a cap on the number of games to be played per annum for wallabies and others which is why so few wallabies turn out at club level - it would just be too much rugby! So now we have the juniors trying to scramble to the top of multiple trees in both league & union - Schools & NSW juniors, & the path to the top in both strands requires quantified MINIMUM participation criteria to be met.

If the participation requirement were removed, there would be a howl of protest that teams were even less "representative" than they already are & that the change entrenched the few selected.

What is missing in this argument is the role of the parent. What are they doing to safeguard the well being of their offspring?

Bill McLean (32)
For your info newbie, ben cotton wasn't in NSW last year

TB,

I am sure that he was; nevertheless I stand corrected! Did he perhaps make the SJRU U/15's then? I do know that he is in the ARU's JGS though! Thanks for the heads up!

Regards,
Newbie.

M

magpie4ever

Why not Morgan?

I know most have moved onto to Regionals now, however I have just finished perusing these pages and have a question for RT concerning CTPE's team selection after the School Champs, in particular the preference of Moeroa over Morgan (but not even giving Morgan a spot on the bench). Moreover I have made some comments about elite juniors and injuries sustained by them as a result of excessive game-time. I would appreciate others feedback concerning the same!

RT most in this site think Morgan played well and I agree with them. Why do you not think he deserves a spot in the team? If so why (what is your opinion based upon)? For mine he played very well all week-end, especially in the game against ISA on day 2 (where the CCC backline finally received some decent ball). Essentially Morgan had the wood on all of his opposing centres (in fact in the ISA game they were Cotton and Wolfgramm who you might know are ARU JGS members and were also selected in the NSWJRU U/15's last year).

Essentially the lad is a decent player, however I will emphatically agree with you that Moeroa is playing well below par as result of an injury. In doing so I too have noticed that he is carrying a debilitating knee injury; in fact I believe i seen him sustain (or at least exacerbate) the same at the State Champs. With respect to his injury did his mother happen to mention to why she (or Tepai’s coach) was allowing him to even play! For mine Tepai has already played a dangerously high amount of combined League and Rugby games so far this year and needs to rest out of fear of sustaining something more serious (or permanent)! This year he would have played approximately 13 games for his Parramatta HM team (which is inclusive of trials); 6 for his Rugby team, Hills; and possibly 10 or so games for his school, Newington. Add to this the State Champs, 4 games; and the School Champs just gone, 4 games. This is a combined total of approximately 37 games of football and we are only just over half way through the season!

Regards,

Fully agree about Morgan and elite junior player burnout (there would be a zillion examples, say in he last 15 years - union goes professional and the league - union battle for juniors). I believe Parramatta advises their contracted SG ball players to only play school footie after that comp finishes - no club footie.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Fellow U16 watchers... Work commitments meant I couldn't make any of the games at the weekend at Knox...

However a few questions for those of you who were there

GPS appeared to totally dominate. Is there a specific reason for this ?

CTPE, your team list looks very impressive. This would suggest to me that you actually know what you are talking about. Would be interested in some feedback on the young lads I know who don't feature in your list. Namely, Harrison Williams from CAS, Max Cook from ISA, Robbie Wolfgramm from ISA, Dylan Goodearl from CAS, Jack Slack-Smith from CAS, and the Pitbull from AICES... I'm told he got the only card of the weekend which made me chuckle...

Bill McLean (32)
Newbie - the players assoc'n for rugby negotiated a cap on the number of games to be played per annum for wallabies and others which is why so few wallabies turn out at club level - it would just be too much rugby! So now we have the juniors trying to scramble to the top of multiple trees in both league & union - Schools & NSW juniors, & the path to the top in both strands requires quantified MINIMUM participation criteria to be met.

If the participation requirement were removed, there would be a howl of protest that teams were even less "representative" than they already are & that the change entrenched the few selected.

What is missing in this argument is the role of the parent. What are they doing to safeguard the well being of their offspring?

MOTH,

You hit the nail on the head mate! Some of the stories I could tell you about the parents! Disgraceful some of them! They live the vicariously through their children in terms of their child's sport!

On another subject, what is your prediction for Regionals based upon the published 'Player Lists' (or 'BALANCE SHEETS' as I have now come to synically refer to them ... lmao).

Regards,
Newbie.

T

theboss

TB,

I am sure that he was; nevertheless I stand corrected! Did he perhaps make the SJRU U/15's then? I do know that he is in the ARU's JGS though! Thanks for the heads up!

Regards,
Newbie.

Yes he made the sydney side, great runner with the ball.

Malcsy

Sydney Middleton (9)
Newbie, I think you will find that the games between North, West and Baa baas will be close.... Should be a very interesting weekend. I think North Zone could have the edge due to dilution of the West Zone in MWZ and Baa baas...

M

magpie4ever

Fellow U16 watchers... Work commitments meant I couldn't make any of the games at the weekend at Knox...

However a few questions for those of you who were there

GPS appeared to totally dominate. Is there a specific reason for this ?

CTPE, your team list looks very impressive. This would suggest to me that you actually know what you are talking about. Would be interested in some feedback on the young lads I know who don't feature in your list. Namely, Harrison Williams from CAS, Max Cook from ISA, Robbie Wolfgramm from ISA, Dylan Goodearl from CAS, Jack Slack-Smith from CAS, and the Pitbull from AICES... I'm told he got the only card of the weekend which made me chuckle...

CHS blew any chance by their backline trying to play to fancy too early; inside passes, run arounds, cut out passes, this led to drop ball - GPS break outs and the score blew out. Left at half-time.

Robbie Wolfgram - sorry, seems badly overweight for a boy I heard so much about.

Pitbull - goes ok but hard to have a real opinion due to the AICES team struggling.

Status
Not open for further replies.