• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
This information is for those of you who want to know both sides of the argument. The present 16s at chatswood has been one of the strongest teams in this age group since the Under 10s winning club champs a few times, up against other strong teams in Mosman, Hunters Hill and Wahroonga as well as others. The back line which other teams have so much trouble with (since 10s) all grew up within a couple of kilometers of each other. typically as they got older and bigger Chatswood lost some good players and gained a few good players.
Lindfield has at least 5 ex Chatswood players who didn't want to play A grade.
Two families have joined Chatswood from out of district because it suited them. I was told by one of the families their son wasn't enjoying his rugby at his previous club because of the politics. The other boy his dad worked nearby.
At the beginning of 2014 Team management worked very hard to combine the chatswood team with another club team in the district, as Penrith, Norths Warringah and Randwick and others have done but to no avail.

We started with 14 players and through injury and school we are down to 12 players. If you read the sign on lists the extras are friends of friends who have helped out but have no interest in a complete club season. With the start of school rugby the extra injuries and lack of helpers has meant we were unable to field a team.
Having been involved in 16s before, a squad of 25 is the bare minimum needed.
The chatswood boys have all played (No reserves).
Can I ask in a squad of 25-30 players how much game time have your better players got and will they get in the next two months, especially those ones who are playing school rugby as well.

So about a dozen rugby players who want to play club are going to miss out. Rather than making up arguments and facts to suit your political bent or hidden agenda, I would love to hear your pearls of wisdom on solving the issue.

This is not the first time a club team has folded because it didn't get its expected numbers!!!!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The boy and parents who moved to Chatswood to get away from politics sounds like he's moved from the frying pan into the fire.:)

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Having an educated guess as to who you are 10 to 12 (the avatar helped!) I know that neither you nor your son are in this to build an empire or chase higher honours.
I'm still keen to find out who is the super team that so worries slugga, though.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
The boy and parents who moved to Chatswood to get away from politics sounds like he's moved from the frying pan into the fire.:)
QH, You've obviously had some run ins with some previous Chatswood managements and like all clubs there have been some doozies . this is a pretty competitive but relaxed age group. The boys are just getting to the age, that, through rep, they have lost that tribal instinct and are making some great friends. Thats what it is all about when you walk off the field

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Having an educated guess as to who you are 10 to 12 (the avatar helped!) I know that neither you nor your son are in this to build an empire or chase higher honours.
I'm still keen to find out who is the super team that so worries slugga, though.
IS, Been involved in SC for close to fifty years, Coached at several clubs and schools and the avatar kids aren't mine.
Im guessing the super team is Raptors because they have a local Manly boy in it. Mind you I think it is great they have got it up and running not complaining.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH, You've obviously had some run ins with some previous Chatswood managements and like all clubs there have been some doozies . this is a pretty competitive but relaxed age group. The boys are just getting to the age, that, through rep, they have lost that tribal instinct and are making some great friends. Thats what it is all about when you walk off the field

I've had no run ins with Chatswood management, I was just noting that they (boy and parent) seem to have found themselves in another political situation.

I have coached a 16s teams in the past (the last time was about 1999) and I know how difficult it was/is to keep things together.

I have no involvement with the age group concerned, which is why I prefaced a number of my posts with "if the information is correct" etc.

I do remember back when they were 13 or 14 a couple of Manly Roos players were enticed to move to Wahroonga to play in the Gordon rep team. I don't know if they are still there.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I've had no run ins with Chatswood management, I was just noting that they (boy and parent) seem to have found themselves in another political situation.

I have coached a 16s teams in the past (the last time was about 1999) and I know how difficult it was/is to keep things together.

I have no involvement with the age group concerned, which is why I prefaced a number of my posts with "if the information is correct" etc.

I do remember back when they were 13 or 14 a couple of Manly Roos players were enticed to move to Wahroonga to play in the Gordon rep team. I don't know if they are still there.
Sorry QH misunderstood you. Yes , been blown up alright. I don't know the details of the Roos but in the V young years they were a force to be reckoned with then slipped out of the top four and the following year totally folded IIRC. 99 i was coaching at Snives i think

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS, Been involved in SC for close to fifty years, Coached at several clubs and schools and the avatar kids aren't mine.
Im guessing the super team is Raptors because they have a local Manly boy in it. Mind you I think it is great they have got it up and running not complaining.

OK - one of them is (I think) unmistakable once i know of your chatswood connection.
On the Raptors side of things this an area of Sydney that has been starved of rugby. It sounds like they had the same experience as Chatswood, Mosman, Hunter Hill and Newport. Maybe their fit was better and they have a good side as a result.
I would have thought it would be good for rugby for them to do well at state champs.
On the basis disclosed above as to how they came into being it is hard to see that they are a super club formed in pursuit of glory - just a club giving some u16s a game of rugby.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sorry QH misunderstood you. Yes , been blown up alright. I don't know the details of the Roos but in the V young years they were a force to be reckoned with then slipped out of the top four and the following year totally folded IIRC. 99 i was coaching at Snives i think

13s or 14s they lost their 2 best players to Wahroonga, had a tough year and then folded as a stand-alone team the year after. They're now in B or C division as an amalgamation of Roos, Raiders and Harlequins.

The only Gordon team in the age group I had were from Lindfield - all kids from local schools, I think the guy who coached them was John - a great bloke who did a herculean effort holding the team together. (He lost half his team in 13s or 14s when the Riverview contingent went en masse to Norths Pirates.) I think that Lindfield team made the GF in the 16s and ran the star studded Newport team close. (Josh Holmes, Pek Cowan et al)

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
OK - one of them is (I think) unmistakable once i know of your chatswood connection.
On the Raptors side of things this an area of Sydney that has been starved of rugby. It sounds like they had the same experience as Chatswood, Mosman, Hunter Hill and Newport. Maybe their fit was better and they have a good side as a result.
I would have thought it would be good for rugby for them to do well at state champs.
On the basis disclosed above as to how they came into being it is hard to see that they are a super club formed in pursuit of glory - just a club giving some u16s a game of rugby.
IS. I ascribe to the subbies mantra before money got involved. In the 16s and above, good coaching, good fun and good mates will give you a fair share of wins and a strong club

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
This information is for those of you who want to know both sides of the argument. The present 16s at chatswood has been one of the strongest teams in this age group since the Under 10s winning club champs a few times, up against other strong teams in Mosman, Hunters Hill and Wahroonga as well as others. The back line which other teams have so much trouble with (since 10s) all grew up within a couple of kilometers of each other. typically as they got older and bigger Chatswood lost some good players and gained a few good players.
Lindfield has at least 5 ex Chatswood players who didn't want to play A grade.
Two families have joined Chatswood from out of district because it suited them. I was told by one of the families their son wasn't enjoying his rugby at his previous club because of the politics. The other boy his dad worked nearby.
At the beginning of 2014 Team management worked very hard to combine the chatswood team with another club team in the district, as Penrith, Norths Warringah and Randwick and others have done but to no avail.

We started with 14 players and through injury and school we are down to 12 players. If you read the sign on lists the extras are friends of friends who have helped out but have no interest in a complete club season. With the start of school rugby the extra injuries and lack of helpers has meant we were unable to field a team.
Having been involved in 16s before, a squad of 25 is the bare minimum needed.
The chatswood boys have all played (No reserves).
Can I ask in a squad of 25-30 players how much game time have your better players got and will they get in the next two months, especially those ones who are playing school rugby as well.

So about a dozen rugby players who want to play club are going to miss out. Rather than making up arguments and facts to suit your political bent or hidden agenda, I would love to hear your pearls of wisdom on solving the issue.

This is not the first time a club team has folded because it didn't get its expected numbers!!!!

10to12 I’ll have to give you the benefit of the doubt on that one and that’s some doubt. I’ll tell you why.
At the start of the season I posted a comment in relation to a conversation my friend was privy to which included someone very close to the Chatswood team, and I do mean close. Unfortunately for them they were not aware of who my friend was. The person in question was quite open about Chatswood’s intention to play the four games to qualify for reps and then forfeit (stupid as well as cynical, eh)

Anyway, I thought it was a good idea to mention it at the time in expectation that it was exactly what would happen – and here we are.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
10to12 I’ll have to give you the benefit of the doubt on that one and that’s some doubt. I’ll tell you why.
At the start of the season I posted a comment in relation to a conversation my friend was privy to which included someone very close to the Chatswood team, and I do mean close. Unfortunately for them they were not aware of who my friend was. The person in question was quite open about Chatswood’s intention to play the four games to qualify for reps and then forfeit (stupid as well as cynical, eh)

Anyway, I thought it was a good idea to mention it at the time in expectation that it was exactly what would happen – and here we are.
OK i'll accept that but your little mate probably told on all his mates at sunday school as well, but you have the right to choose your friends. Worse than the Russian cold war whispers
Chatswood had 14 players (now 12). A lot of the energy pre season was directed at their district clubs to get a combined team to get everyone a game. wahroonga was a natural fit but there was huge animosity from some of their parents whos boys were not selected in zone and the fact that they got towelled in the semis by chatswood. This was only one or two people but the power lay with them . Lane cove were approached as was lindfield but both teams were true B and C grade teams so it was understandable that the fit was not good. Truth is each club has the right to have the team they want.
Chatswoods 12 players would love to continue playing if they were in a squad of 25 -30 players. As you know from your eastwood boys it allows boys to play when they can and not be relied on week to week. Having coached 16s over the years I feel for the team management of any 16s and above team. Your two Illawarra boys can be part of your squad and realistically play every other week or less to appear again after school footy has ended and the club finals are on. Not complaining just pointing out what happens when you have a squad of 25-30 players.
So my point Slugga is rather than whinging about things you heard from a friend of a friend and suggesting this team has been assembled as a super team of glory seekers rather than a team that has evolved since the under 10s (and earlier) like most other teams. What do you suggest these 12 players do. All other Districts seem to have got it right and created A B and C teams in a very difficult age group to manage.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
OK i'll accept that but your little mate probably told on all his mates at sunday school as well, but you have the right to choose your friends. Worse than the Russian cold war whispers
Chatswood had 14 players (now 12). A lot of the energy pre season was directed at their district clubs to get a combined team to get everyone a game. wahroonga was a natural fit but there was huge animosity from some of their parents whos boys were not selected in zone and the fact that they got towelled in the semis by chatswood. This was only one or two people but the power lay with them . Lane cove were approached as was lindfield but both teams were true B and C grade teams so it was understandable that the fit was not good. Truth is each club has the right to have the team they want.
Chatswoods 12 players would love to continue playing if they were in a squad of 25 -30 players. As you know from your eastwood boys it allows boys to play when they can and not be relied on week to week. Having coached 16s over the years I feel for the team management of any 16s and above team. Your two Illawarra boys can be part of your squad and realistically play every other week or less to appear again after school footy has ended and the club finals are on. Not complaining just pointing out what happens when you have a squad of 25-30 players.
So my point Slugga is rather than whinging about things you heard from a friend of a friend and suggesting this team has been assembled as a super team of glory seekers rather than a team that has evolved since the under 10s (and earlier) like most other teams. What do you suggest these 12 players do. All other Districts seem to have got it right and created A B and C teams in a very difficult age group to manage.

It was a first hand account. I might add the person went on to predict Chatswood would claim that a few boys have dropped out and despite the willingness of the team to continue, circumstances beyond their control have left them no option but to withdraw from the comp - just like you said.

So given what has occurred was predicted before a ball had been kicked and the fact that as soon as the four qualifying games were played the forfeits started, I think it is reasonable to be suspicious of their intent.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So given what has occurred was predicted before a ball had been kicked and the fact that as soon as the four qualifying games were played the forfeits started, I think it is reasonable to be suspicious of their intent.
On that basis you should be withdrawing your assertions about the formation of super teams, including the scatter gum character assassinations, since that hasn't been borne out by the results and the raptors position has been amply justified.

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
It was a first hand account. I might add the person went on to predict Chatswood would claim that a few boys have dropped out and despite the willingness of the team to continue, circumstances beyond their control have left them no option but to withdraw from the comp - just like you said.

You'd have a lot more credibility if you mentioned all this before I did. Mate I'm not trying to turn you or your make believe mate into Gordon/chatswood lovers. Your dislike of these teams is your business. I trully hope your boy makes one of the rep teams and you learn that the power of rugby is the mates you make from all over. If this is your first boy trying to make it good luck. Most selectors and coaches truly want the best teams and over many years I have been at odds with some selections as I'm sure parents have been at odds with teams I have helped select or coach. I have made it a principle not to be involved in rep teams that have family involved. At the lowest level ie SC and it really is alow level this can be hard as it really is a parent run level.You stick to your story and your make believe friends story. I'm just trying to put a more balanced view fwd not convert you. Some of the disgruntled gordon people you have spoken to might also have an axe to grind

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

Can they find a club outside the Gordon area to link up with? Seems a waste to have 12 boys without a team because a few adults are persuing some sort of personal agenda. Some grown up somewhere should be welcoming these boys aboard. There aren't too many 16 year old players around that we can afford to lose 12 of them.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Can they find a club outside the Gordon area to link up with? Seems a waste to have 12 boys without a team because a few adults are persuing some sort of personal agenda. Some grown up somewhere should be welcoming these boys aboard. There aren't too many 16 year old players around that we can afford to lose 12 of them.
I'm sure they'd be welcome at hunters hill/mosman

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Funny you should mention this. I had this dicussion with the manager today. Unfortunately if you go through the sign on sheets all teams have 25_30 boys in their squads. They will go back to there 16a and bs at school

Status
Not open for further replies.