• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW JRU State Championships & Representative Teams 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Got it now quick hands. Getting flogged is no excuse, it’s the kids fault for not ‘looking for the ball’. Sounds fair

My 2nd point was in response to using the condition of the ground as an excuse for MNZ losing to MSZ. (why do Northern supporters have so much trouble accepting defeat?)Had nothing to do with champs, you’re creating and discrediting an argument I never made.

I do think your train-on squad scenario has merit, does that mean you agree the current set up can be made fairer?

I am certainly not a supporter of Northern Zone, couldn't care less who wins the zone championships. I don't even think they should exist, they represent nothing.

Boys with ability will stand out in a beaten side and should gain selection if the selectors are competent and impartial. But in your scenario, if the boy hasn't touched the ball at the State Championships, he's not going to get into the zone team, so the zone team will be no better vehicle for selection. (I'm yet to see a game in which players who aspire to the next level of representation don't even touch the ball)

A train on squad is the only fair way to do it. The current system of selecting district rep teams is riven with nepotism, unfairness and horsetrading and as the zones are a product of the district teams they are tarred with the same brush.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
My comment re the Northern zone was not aimed at you or everyone within the zone of course, perhaps some diplomacy on my part may not go astray.

I do however stand by the belief there is an unhealthy aspect to the SJRU (including things I’ve witnessed in my son’s villiage club) and agree the train on squad scenario is a much better process.

Fat Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
Its started already Rd 5 Chatswood AKA Gordon forfeit, 4 rounds qualify for reps now they don't give a stuff.

SJRU should just disband the team and make all their players ineligible for reps. That would fix the empire builders.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
There may be legitimate reasons for the forfeit, but your point remains valid.

SJRU and NSW JRU should monitor the situation post JSC, and if there appears to by cynical manipulation of the eligibility rules for a rep jumper or State title, then amend the rules to require a certain number of post Championship games to be played by the "eligible players" as well. Failure to do so, without reasonable excuse, could result in a title being awarded to the runner up.

The rules, as they currently are, allow for this particular loophole, so in many respects there is little that NSW JRU and SJRU can do about it this season.

Fat Cat

Sydney Middleton (9)
I don't think there is a lot of interest post state champo's for the Gordon 16's in regard to Sydney teams, they just want to give it to North's and retain the title.

Chatswood / Gordon up to their usual tricks players from every district but the Chatswood area, and contracted to other codes.

The Hunters Hill's 15's seem to be worse, you need a passport from western Sydney to get into the team. And I think the HH coach is coaching MNZ, try and tell me he won't have his favourites !

I will be barracking for Penrith in the 16's. How good would that be to see them win a state championship ! Great for rugby !

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
I don't think there is a lot of interest post state champo's for the Gordon 16's in regard to Sydney teams, they just want to give it to North's and retain the title.

Chatswood / Gordon up to their usual tricks players from every district but the Chatswood area, and contracted to other codes.

The Hunters Hill's 15's seem to be worse, you need a passport from western Sydney to get into the team. And I think the HH coach is coaching MNZ, try and tell me he won't have his favourites !

I will be barracking for Penrith in the 16's. How good would that be to see them win a state championship ! Great for rugby !

I have a mate who had a go at those behind the Gordon caper. He informs me that they they were quite open with him as to their intentions. Total contempt for the kids that missed a game on the weekend (assuming there was not a legitimate reason but if it quacks like a duck...) and the competition.

With you all the way Fatcat, Penrith v the Woods final would be great (although I prefer Woods by a whisker)

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Suites me fine Hugh Jarse, this merry go round ceased being about rugby a while ago.

As for State Champs it looks like Gordon, Norths, Woods, Parra and Penrith are the contenders.

Does anyone know when the draw is out?
Gordon Norths and Eastwood all look like they have lost players. Penrith look strong. ACT is coming up but with a different line up to last year. If Vic are involved this year they could be the ones to beat

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Gordon Norths and Eastwood all look like they have lost players. Penrith look strong. ACT is coming up but with a different line up to last year. If Vic are involved this year they could be the ones to beat

Eastwood lost a couple but they also picked up a few, What's more they're from their district! Am I allowed to say that :)

I think they will be very competitive

10to12

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Eastwood lost a couple but they also picked up a few, What's more they're from their district! Am I allowed to say that :)

I think they will be very competitive
Yes you can, but sounding like a broken record. Looking fwd to a good SC

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
There may be legitimate reasons for the forfeit, but your point remains valid.

SJRU and NSW JRU should monitor the situation post JSC, and if there appears to by cynical manipulation of the eligibility rules for a rep jumper or State title, then amend the rules to require a certain number of post Championship games to be played by the "eligible players" as well. Failure to do so, without reasonable excuse, could result in a title being awarded to the runner up.

See post #182

rugbynut2010

Bob McCowan (2)
Does any have any background on southern zone 16's coaches?

Interested see what level/experience coaches will have compared to other rep pathways.

Azzuri

Trevor Allan (34)
I know two they picked up from the Illawarra which is nowhere near that district!

To be fair both of the Eastwood U16's that came from Illawarra/NSW Country are now at Kings and are registered and playing their club rugby with Beecroft and Dural respectively.

Slugga

Ted Fahey (11)
Oops. Don't let the truth get in the way . How do you explain it to the two long serving boys who miss out on the rep team because you've stacked your team.

As Azzuri mentioned there are two boys boarding at Kings and playing (I mean actually playing not just registered) with Dural and Beecroft. They approached the clubs for a game not the other way round.

<edited: Stay on footy please. Rule 6 >.

Status
Not open for further replies.