• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HarveyColon

I would like to take this moment to confirm that yes, david vea does have a shattered testicle.....

I would also like to propose a new law for this competition: a SALARY CAP. by that I mean limiting the number of people playing in the comp who aren't intending to sit the hsc.....lets face it: are tepai, taane, big willie and fob 1 and fob 2, 3 ,4 and so on are at school to play rugby. could you imagine how good other schools would be if they had players souly devoted to rugby. there should be a quota system whereby each school can have the same amount of blow ins from our pacific counterparts. We have to be open about these issues no matter how touchy or un politically correct they might seem. For example sydney grammar has a long tradititon of having exchange cstudents from europe......instead of this they could have this quota of players from either nuku'alofa or walgett and it would even the comp out......thoughts anyone........

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
I would like to take this moment to confirm that yes, david vea does have a shattered testicle...

I would also like to propose a new law for this competition: a SALARY CAP. by that I mean limiting the number of people playing in the comp who aren't intending to sit the hsc...lets face it: are tepai, taane, big willie and fob 1 and fob 2, 3 ,4 and so on are at school to play rugby. could you imagine how good other schools would be if they had players souly devoted to rugby. there should be a quota system whereby each school can have the same amount of blow ins from our pacific counterparts. We have to be open about these issues no matter how touchy or un politically correct they might seem. For example sydney grammar has a long tradititon of having exchange cstudents from europe..instead of this they could have this quota of players from either nuku'alofa or walgett and it would even the comp out..thoughts anyone....
Nice intent but probably easier challenge to justify the carbon tax.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I would also like to propose a new law for this competition: a SALARY CAP. by that I mean limiting the number of people playing in the comp who aren't intending to sit the hsc...lets face it: are tepai, taane, big willie and fob 1 and fob 2, 3 ,4 and so on are at school to play rugby...........
There already is a rule to stop this, there is a separate thread that discusses this topic,but in any self regulated environment, rules are dependent entirely upon the goodwill of the participants.
Rules are clearly pointless with this association.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
I would also like to propose a new law for this competition: a SALARY CAP. by that I mean limiting the number of people playing in the comp who aren't intending to sit the hsc...lets face it: are tepai, taane, big willie and fob 1 and fob 2, 3 ,4 and so on are at school to play rugby.

How do you know they aren't intending to sit the hsc and they are at school just to play rugby? To be honest with you my son is there to study and to do his hsc because I don't buy a house but I invest my money on my son's education. It's not my intention just to put him at this school just to play rugby not at all. If that is the case as you have said - I have the option of putting him in a sport school and let him play colts at club football.

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
I would like to take this moment to confirm that yes, david vea does have a shattered testicle...

I would also like to propose a new law for this competition: a SALARY CAP. by that I mean limiting the number of people playing in the comp who aren't intending to sit the hsc...lets face it: are tepai, taane, big willie and fob 1 and fob 2, 3 ,4 and so on are at school to play rugby. could you imagine how good other schools would be if they had players souly devoted to rugby. there should be a quota system whereby each school can have the same amount of blow ins from our pacific counterparts. We have to be open about these issues no matter how touchy or un politically correct they might seem. For example sydney grammar has a long tradititon of having exchange cstudents from europe..instead of this they could have this quota of players from either nuku'alofa or walgett and it would even the comp out..thoughts anyone....

As a Shore supporter, this has been a topic in the shore community for years. But personally I think it's the best thing for the competition, as it raises the standard of play significantly, and can only increase the skills of the players playing against them. I also think its great that these players are rewarded for their talent and get a once in a lifetime opportunity to attend some of the most prestigious schools in the southern hemisphere.

supporter

Sydney Middleton (9)
For example sydney grammar has a long tradititon of having exchange cstudents from europe..instead of this they could have this quota of players from either nuku'alofa or walgett and it would even the comp out..thoughts anyone....

I am happy to assist Sydney Grammar to make arrangement with any school at Nuku'alofa hahaha. Are you the headmaster? please private me hahaha.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
As a Shore supporter, this has been a topic in the shore community for years. But personally I think it's the best thing for the competition, as it raises the standard of play significantly, and can only increase the skills of the players playing against them. I also think its great that these players are rewarded for their talent and get a once in a lifetime opportunity to attend some of the most prestigious schools in the southern hemisphere.

Actually I agree with quite a bit of this. Although back in the day, attending Shore used not to be a "once in a lifetime" opportunity - I seem to recall BH Travers giving some boys several opportunities at Year 12.

CTPE

Nev Cottrell (35)
Any predictions for this weekend? Kings vs Newington to be an extremely close game, with Kings hungry after a loss and Newington perhaps slow to start after an easy run against Grammar.

Whilst Scots backline could step up on any given day, I believe their forwards won't be able to contain the Joeys pack, and thus won't get enough ball. If their game against Kings anything to go on, the Scots pack also seem to lack discipline, which could cost them in the long run. Joeys by 20 or so.

View to run over Grammar by 40 +

Scots V Joeys:
It will be interesting to see whether the two Scots forwards who were red carded in their trial game against Kings are on the Scots team sheet? I'm sure Scots will be keen to rectify the hiding they copped on the scoreboard in that game and start their GPS season off on a positive note after their bye in the first round. Despite having the home ground advantage they'll face a very a difficult task against a Joeys side no doubt buoyed with confidence after their great win against Riverview last weekend. For Joeys the same formula as last week applies - take control in the forwards and then send it wide. For Scots to be any chance they've got to do everything possible to deprive Joeys of possession, try and play the game as deep as possible in Joeys half and then utilise their potent backs in Horwitz, Kellaway and Stewart to put points on their opposition. They'll have no hope unless their forwards can compete on an equal footing at the breakdown and especially at scrum time where Joeys will have some ascendancy. Horwitz's kicking is going to play a vital role if they are going to be any chance - as Scots have a pretty good lineout he's got to try and put the ball deep and over the touchline as often as possible to turn Joeys forwards around and allow his own men to compete for the ball in the air - it will be a waste of time though unless his outside backs chase every kick as if their lives depended on it to limit Joeys back three making plenty of metres on their kick returns especially from quick lineout throws. I expect a Joeys win but Scots can make it hard for them.

Riverview v Grammar
I expected that Grammar might have performed better than they did last week against Newington as they're usually at their best at the start of the season before the big number losses and injuries kick in but the scoreboard told a different story. Riverview to win well.

Kings V Newington
Kings lost 19-12 away to Newington in their trial match but had next to no possession and suffered from a fairly lopsided penalty count. Their loss against Shore in last weeks first round was unexpected and no doubt they'll be seeking atonement in this game especially in front of what will be a fair sized home crowd. I've stated a number of times in this forum that I think that Newington have the best all round team in the GPS competition and rightly deserve favouritism for the premiership - they have a very good scrum and their loose forwards work very hard with and without the ball. In Moeroa and Milne they have two hard running and talented centres who can often blow their opponents off the park - they are ably supported by a good back three who spend a lot of time lurking around them ready to run off any tackle bust or line break. Kings have greater depth in their backline though and won't be expected to repeat the case of the "droppsies" they had against Shore - they also defend very well. All they need is a fair share of the ball. For Kings to win their forwards have to deliver in this area and as their pack is more mobile than New's they need to use this to their advantage around the field and be absolutely fanatical about their commitment in their carries, at the contest and in defence. Kings can win what is likely to be a tight contest and no doubt the match of the round.

Shore v Bye
They'll be sitting back at the end of the day either sharing the competition lead or depending on results will be all alone at the top of the table.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Actually I agree with quite a bit of this. Although back in the day, attending Shore used not to be a "once in a lifetime" opportunity - I seem to recall BH Travers giving some boys several opportunities at Year 12.

I heard the same stuff about Joeys back in the day. The old saying used to be "Year 12 at Joeys: the best three years of your life".

Warwick

Peter Burge (5)
Reminds of a similar story about a young boy running up and down the sideline at a Joeys game shouting out "Not come on Joeys" but "Come on Dad". A superb Joeys winger who played in 1975, 1976 and 1977 was reputed to have turned 20 in 1977 but was still 19 in during the Rugby season allowing him to still play GPS rugby, so the story goes.It was also the reason why he was not selected in that Australian schoolboy side that toured the UK undefeated in 19977/1978. Friends at Uni who were went to Joeys said it was true and that some of these repeats studied gardening, lawn mowing and other subjects outside the NSW HSC course, so the story goes.
And yet some Joeys supporters complain about Newingtons Tongans.You won't find any of our Tongan boys studying lawn mowing and typing. How memories last long hard in GPS rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Reminds of a similar story about a young boy running up and down the sideline at a Joeys game shouting out "Not come on Joeys" but "Come on Dad". A superb Joeys winger who played in 1975, 1976 and 1977 was reputed to have turned 20 in 1977 but was still 19 in during the Rugby season allowing him to still play GPS rugby, so the story goes.It was also the reason why he was not selected in that Australian schoolboy side that toured the UK undefeated in 19977/1978. Friends at Uni who were went to Joeys said it was true and that some of these repeats studied gardening, lawn mowing and other subjects outside the NSW HSC course, so the story goes.
And yet some Joeys supporters complain about Newingtons Tongans.You won't find any of our Tongan boys studying lawn mowing and typing. How memories last long hard in GPS rugby.

i can tell you that a bloke who should have left Shore in my year returned the next and was "doing the gardening" in preparation for footy....and there was a rumour that over at New the stroke of a winning 1st VIII returned only for 1 term to row in the VIII again.
While over at Grammar I recall a bloke returning and punting someone from the VIII (they came last): he didn't get into medicine or didn't get into the "right" uni and so repeated 6th form as it was in those days.

Snort

Nev Cottrell (35)
i can tell you that a bloke who should have left Shore in my year returned the next and was "doing the gardening" in preparation for footy...

I remember a Shore prop (with whom I later played in Colts) who repeated year 12 as school captain. Jika Travers believed that the school captain should be older than the rest of year 12 so that he could command respect and, of course, he could not imagine for a moment that a boy who didn't play Rugby could command respect. This particular player was chosen to tour Europe with an Australian Schools team, but he had to drop out (or so the story goes) when it was discovered that he had been born a couple of minutes before midnight on December 31, and so missed the Under-19 cut-off by seconds. If his mum had just held on for a bit...

Mind you, this bloke wasn't "doing the gardening" - he's now a doctor.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Scots V Joeys:
Ben Starkey in backline.Ollie K in. Hooker out for 2 weeks I hear. Mr Kellaway may make some people eat their words but it will be tough

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
It happened a bit when I was at Kings but generally only to the guys who were young for the year.....i.e. those that were playing in the 16's in '5th form' and they usually got the ball rolling early and got them to repeat 5th form for 'academic reasons'.....there were 3 in my year at least, all good sportsmen funnily enough.

THE REF 94

Frank Nicholson (4)
My predictions

Kings vs. Newington
Game of the round no doubt. Kings are right back in the hunt for a premiership if they win whereas Newington look to capitalise on the chance to possibly eliminate who they thought would be their toughest competitor for a premiership. Newington's pack will dominate the game in the early stages. There just isn't enough size in the kings pack to contain them early on. Whilst Kings may be more mobile, last week Shore seemed to dominate the breakdown in the second half, so I don't think they can bank on the fact that their forwards will necessarily have more left in the tank at the end, because they certainly didn't last week. The line out is another major concern. If they haven't fixed that then it could get ugly early. Kings are seriously missing Randell. It's not necessarily that the Kings pack is week, just that from what I've seen of Newington, I think there pack is outstanding.

A great contest in the backs however. The class of Ferris, Foketi and Jones to compete against the strong running of Moeroa, Milne and Vlahos. Enticing match ups, with both back lines containing players who can score from anywhere. Kings to present a stronger and smarter performance in front of their home crowd after last week's disappointment. But I think Newington will slowly take start to dominate through the forwards laying a stronger platform than Kings for their back line. Newington in a close one, but won't be surprised to hear if Kings win.

Joeys vs. Scots.
Going out on a bit of a limb and calling an upset here. Definitely closer than some people think. Scots to come out firing to prove the critics wrong. The match depends on the first 10 minutes. If Joeys controls the ball and works their way up the pitch through the forwards and then sends it wide, they will be too strong for a Scots team lacking in confidence up front. However if Scots start well, I could see their forwards getting a role on, and with Horwitz, Kellaway and Stewart, it only takes one second of brilliance for Joeys to find themselves behind. Think Scots have seriously under performed but will turn it around this week. Scots to win as long as they don't let Joeys hold the ball in the forwards, and take their opportunities when presented.

View vs. Grammar
Hearing reviews about last weeks game, View must use this excellent opportunity to find a game plan that works and get the team working together against a team lacking in quality, but abundant in ambition of beating a team with 3 Australian schoolboys. Still, View to win by 40 or more.

As I said before, Shore will recover this week and use next weeks game against Grammar to get back into the swing of things, with a chance of being the only undefeated team at the end of round 3. Although I admit it's all uphill from there playing Newington and Joeys away in the last two matches.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I remember a Shore prop (with whom I later played in Colts) who repeated year 12 as school captain. Jika Travers believed that the school captain should be older than the rest of year 12 so that he could command respect and, of course, he could not imagine for a moment that a boy who didn't play Rugby could command respect. This particular player was chosen to tour Europe with an Australian Schools team, but he had to drop out (or so the story goes) when it was discovered that he had been born a couple of minutes before midnight on December 31, and so missed the Under-19 cut-off by seconds. If his mum had just held on for a bit.

Mind you, this bloke wasn't "doing the gardening" - he's now a doctor.

Know whom you mean...I actually played against him whilst at school so know that story...and can vouch for Jika's reasoning, he did it again with the 5/8 in my year, and that guy later repped NSW cricket as a 'keeper...reason why Adam Gilchrist moved to WA and the rest is history!

Status
Not open for further replies.