• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

moa999

Billy Sheehan (19)
Is field 7 streamed?
Confirmed today's games are being streamed. Though it is a sideline camera, and no commentary on the earlier games.

Combined 15 Vic 10 in the 10am game
Qld I 22 ACT 0 in the 11.30 game

Commentary back for the afternoon games. Still very windy today but only a small amount of rain.
Qld II 3 NSW Juniors 0 at HT.

Last edited:

moa999

Billy Sheehan (19)
Early try out wide to the Is through Baxter-Warner (N) in the right corner after spreading from a penalty on the left side.
NSW I 5 NSW II 0 @7

Conditions deteriorating with rain setting in. NSW II been doing a lot of attacking but no points.
And a Yellow to Baxter (E) from the IIs as the IIs were attacking. not clear what for.

And just before HT try to Watters (STAN) after a kick ahead by Berryman- Duff (AUG).
NSW I 5 NSW II 5 @HT

Last edited:

moa999

Billy Sheehan (19)
Breakaway try to I by Harder (Pittwater HS) under the posts after a charge down.
Fowler (J) converts.
NSW I 12 NSW II 5 @32

And after good forward play by the II try to Simmons (N). Conversion by Watters (STAN)
NSW I 12 NSW II 12 @48 with 12min left.

Last edited:

moa999

Billy Sheehan (19)
And IIs go wide, second try to Watters. Lucky bounce off the post and it's converted.
NSW I 12 NSW II 19 @53

And Ulcoq gets a YC after a few penalties against the Is. Penalty kick missed.

And after going side to side the Is can't score.
Game over IIs win by 7.

(For anyone watching the replay, scoreboard was incorrect much of the game)

So NSW IIs play NSW Juniors in the big game on Friday.

Last edited:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In this case is the starting 15 for the 2s a better player than the bench for the 1s? Or are they just picking the best possible 23 in the 1s
Historically that's how it worked - they would pick the best 15 players in 1sts, next best 15 in 2nds and then fill the bench in 1sts and then 2nds bench.

Not sure if that's how it still works.

Last edited:

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
So, um, ISA lost by 5 points against GPS in a very close battle and was pumped by CAS later that day, but ISA is closer to CAS than GPS????
Sigh, firstly I was talking in general terms over time rather than one specific game.

But, I'll indulge you if you like - I'd hardly call 24-7 being "pumped", particularly when one considers that ISA had (by your own observation) a tough game in the morning against GPS while, CAS had a slightly easier game against CHS. One would expect that their morning game would have taken more out of ISA than CAS - a variable that can't really be quantified, which most would appreciate. (although other results suggest that it had a significant impact)

In this tournament, a holistic look at results suggest that there isn't much between the 3 teams at all. If for example we look at how ISA and CAS performed against GPS and CHS we might get a clearer picture, rather than looking at 1 game in isolation.

ISA def CHS 33-7
CAS def CHS 31-5
(identical for and against)

GPS def ISA 19-15
GPS def CAS 17-15
(one missed conversion the difference either way)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Since the NSW Rugby Schools Union has been subsumed into NSW Juniors, all of the archived results have disappeared into the ether.

The AAGPS website used to also have many of these results in the archived section of their website, but they must have done a website upgrade and it only goes back a couple of years now.

The big 3 used to be GPS, CAS and CHS (who used to play 1sts, 2nds and 3rds against each other), and ISA was grouped with CCC, AICES etc.

If ISA haven't beaten GPS or CAS in the last 5 years then they've never beaten them.

sundayeightpm

Peter Burge (5)
Ok brains trust - I thought I understood all of this pretty well...and even agreed with one of the members here who pointed out that several players were overlooked for selection at the recent NSW Schools Selection Trials because of their existing links and commitment to Rugby League. Then I see this about Jai, the FB for the NSW 1s? Great news for Jai, he will make a great League player - but do we understand why certain players were overlooked, or is it just a rumour that they were "already committed to Rugby League?"

Attachments

• IMG_3409.jpeg
    IMG_3409.jpeg
    371.3 KB · Views: 182

Syd

Allen Oxlade (6)
This is more of a problem than I think we’re happy to admit. All of our school as are happy to consume talent for the ‘status’ of a win or whatever we think is happening there. It would be for the greater good of Rugby if the AAGPS turned their considerable resources outwards rather than inwards and did what they could to help build programs in the public system, at least in a community service perspective. Old boys coaching or something…

sundayeightpm

Peter Burge (5)
I like some of you ideas re: re-focusing resources. However, schools with a lot of tradition, history, track record, and powerful networks will always use this to attract talent...it happens everywhere in the world, in every sector every day. If we don't like it - re-assign and identify as an amoeba.

Syd

Allen Oxlade (6)
You’re right, it’s true. I also think it’s the plague that retards RA at every level. It’s probably more of a problem at the state and National level, but until people are willing to give some power and status away for the greater good, RA will remain a relatively uncoordinated and unsuccessful entity compared to other nations. I believe the current CEO is trying to get a more coordinated structure in place. Imagine if the houses inside each of our schools had their own teams and the school couldn’t centrally run the rugby program. It’s what we’ve got in Aus as a National equivalent.

sundayeightpm

Peter Burge (5)
I don't disagree - but doesn't every central organisation face this issue i.e. Fed Gov v States v councils in Aus, Fed v States in USA, FIFA v National Football orgs, etc etc. In my mind, less of a plague, and more of a bacteria..which we all need to survive, and the balance of good v bad bacteria is what keeps us alive (HG Wells covered this relationship pretty cleverly in 1895).

Reactions: Syd