• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Chairman

Cyril Towers (30)
Most of the quality players already have strong ties to league. You’d assume thats why most of them are missing. Some connections include

Warner, Rodwell, Bassingthwaighte - Roosters
Makasini - Wests Tigers
Le Maitre - Rabbitohs (not sure about this now but certainly in the past)

I’d assume most were given the option and said no, but Callaghan said yes to get more union experience under his belt as it has been very recent since he switched codes.

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Going back into the mists of time CHS have beaten both GPS and CAS at a time when the spread of talent was different - I don't think ISA existed at that time or if it did it was very small and uncompetitive.

1719999149113.jpeg

Maul of Duty

Sydney Middleton (9)
Not all boys who leave and go to a GPS school do so because of scholarships. In a lot of cases they choose to move without being offered or considered for anything. It is easy to use that as an excuse however I have seen it time and time again where it is the child that wants to got to a GPS school. Sometimes there is a family connection, friendships and then also what some would consider to be the highest tier competition they can play in week in week out.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Would have thought that Walsh is (was given NRL signing) PONI given prior U18 Australian selection.
He would have been considering he's a returning Aus U18s player. With the recent news of his signing a few of the boys currently playing have a lot on the line now to win the 10 jersey even though I'm not sure they won't select Walsh if available. Hopefully we can Tom Wright him and get him back to Rugby but there's a very good chance he's got a contract paying more than a lot of Super Rugby players.

The Cleaner

Ward Prentice (10)
Not all boys who leave and go to a GPS school do so because of scholarships.
Hasani Bloomfield is one of those kids. He is NOT on a scholarship at Kings. His parents pays full fees. I know this because I am a very close family. I know his dad and also Cyrus Bloomfield dad. Hasani wanted him to compete in the highest level of school competition which is GPS. Hasani was already signed with the Waratahs before he joined Kings anyway.

sundayeightpm

Peter Burge (5)
This squad will be completely revised over the next few weeks. BTW, Walsh played 15 in the last few matches of the U18 tournament n NZ. There are several quite serious injuries among those players, and a few have also strong connections i.e. signed with NRL clubs....and a few might even drop out of the race - given the result against NZ and the rise in form of several new players ;-) .

Last edited:

sundayeightpm

Peter Burge (5)
Yep, I am very close to several families in the same boat. My own son has had similar opportunities with cricket. He is at GPS, and we play full fees...but do have offers of reduced fees, which we declined. The only issue with this is that the talented boys do find it easier to get into GPS schools. If you are not a talented athlete, deciding to switch to a GPS school in NSW to play in the strongest comp, and front up in the Ds is not really an option.

Maul of Duty

Sydney Middleton (9)
My top players from NSW 1 & 2 in the recent games in QLD so far: (I think that the weather has had a big impact on these games and the best of each player may not have been seen so far.

#1 - Lavercombe (NSW 1) - High work rate both on and off the ball and also strong in the scrum and on defense
#2 - Ghattas (NSW 2) - Great lineouts in some terrible weather and solid defense. Great ball security as well
#3 - Clatworthy - (NSW 2) - Some strong carries in and generally makes good post contact metres
#4 - Baxter (NSW 2) - All round good performances in each game thus far. )Closely followed by Greer. Very hard to split these two)
#5 - Graham - (NSW 2) - Plenty of quality involvements both in attack and defense
#6 - Ulcoq and Haslam (NSW 1 & NSW 2) - Can't split these 2 however Haslam's pick and goes close to the ruck have been good
#7 - Aboud - (NSW 1) - Good carries and post contact metres. Probably not the best weather to show his skill
#8 - Gallagher - (NSW 1) - Good carries when had had the ball and plenty of good involvements
#9 - Brown - (NSW 1) - Has done well getting the ball out of the scrum quickly and good passing
#10 - Fowler - (NSW 1) - Solid across the park and great kicking and passing game. Weather hasn't helped show more of his skill
#11 - Caswell - (NSW 1) - Great speed with ball in hand and getting back into position for incoming kicks
#12 - Filter - (NSW 2) - few good carries and good intent with all his involvements. Not the best weather to showcase his talent
#13 - Fenwicke and Watters (NSW 1 & NSW 2) - Can't split these two over the games so far.
#14 - Tombs (NSW 2) - In general played well without any errors that I have picked up on.
#15 - Callaghan (NSW 1) - Had plenty of involvements and has done well being the last line of defense and saved a couple of tries. Has done well under pressure

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Walsh played 15 in the last few matches of the U18 tournament n NZ.
Played 15 but he's a 10 and looked best when he moved up into 10. Good young player I'm sure will be successful wherever he ends up.

Next big name to wait and hear about is Large. I know he had been playing with Wests in League but he's a special talent i'd be spending what money Rugby have on. Centre is a position we aren't killing it with nationally when you look around.

BananaMan

Allen Oxlade (6)
...Jai, the FB for the NSW 1s? Great news for Jai, he will make a great league player... is it just a rumour that they were "already committed to Rugby League?"
I assumed he chose rugby because he didn't make the final CIS Rugby League team. Looks like he was in the initial training squad but didn't make the final team. I could be wrong.