• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Whatsthatcall

Bob McCowan (2)
I think you’ll find the players of national interest list will refresh after these lads play Tonga etc?
Nope these boys play the PONI squad before they fly out to Fiji in September (according to the Facebook post announcing the team). The pathways page of NSWRU says this side is a barbarian team.

Attachments

• IMG_7226.jpeg
    IMG_7226.jpeg
    270.1 KB · Views: 315

moa999

Billy Sheehan (19)
Not that selections should necessarily follow team results, but interesting to see the breakdown of the 23.

1st - NSW II - 7
2nd - NSW J - 1
3rd - NSW I - 6
4th - QLD I - 6
5th - QLD II - 1
6th - VIC - 1
E.7th - ACT - 1
E.7th - Comb - 0

Rudderless

Bill McLean (32)
From a bit of research I've done I want to clear up some stuff.
There are 7 players selected in the PONI squad from GPS this year:
Angus Grover (I)
Toby Brial (S)
Luca Cleverley (N)
Issac Fonua (K)
Tom Hartman (I)
Marshall Le Maitre (E)
Jay Mckenzie (S)

This was selected from the 2 Academy games v Queensland at the beginning of they year. These players above were not selected in the NSW schools side as they will have their own training camps with the rest of the NSW PONI players while the schools side are playing in Queensland.
For the likes of Makasini, Rodwell, Bassingswaite. Because of their tight affiliation with league clubs, they will particiapate in no further REP rugby.

A lot of the comments on this forum are based on the 'form' players not getting picked and the PONI players not 'progressing' as much throughout the year, since they already nationally recognised.

My rebuttal to this, is that there are 2 further announcements for the 'form' players to join the PONI squad. Right now the squad is at 25, and the 2 further announcements will make it 40. From this, the 40 best U18 players in the country will go to camp in canberra. On september 25 or 26th they play an internal trial against each other called 'Green vs Gold'. After this trial, the coaches select 25 boys to fly to NZ and send 15 boys home.

So for those PONI players not 'improving' in their game, the 'form' players will have an opportunity against them if they make the PONI squad, so they make the Aus u18s team.

I tried to make this as clear as possible but feel free to reply with any questions you may have.
Moa999

this might answer your question regarding the date of the Canberra game.

Last edited:

Rudderless

Bill McLean (32)
The team announced yesterday (Friday) will now play RA’s Australian U18 team in Canberra in September and, the following day, will depart for Fiji for a two-test tour against Fiji Schoolboys.

(reposting the team FYI)

Australian Schoolboys Rugby Union Team 2024

1 Nate Hepi QLD 1
2 Cyrus Suniula QLD 2
3 Keegan Daly NSW 1
4 Edward Baxter NSW 2
5 Phoenix Graham NSW 2
6 Oscar Cleary NSW 2
7 Charlie Blank NSW 2
8 Nat Gallagher NSW 1
9 Grady Woolley ACT
10 Jackson Drury VIC
11 Max Roach NSW 1
12 Zac Nichol QLD 1
13 Cooper Watters NSW 2
14 Blake Miller QLD 1
15 Jye Callaghan NSW 1
16 Charles Ghattas NSW 2
17 Cameron Paull NSW 2
18 Felix Harvison NSW Juniors
19 Saxon Thompson QLD 1
20 Charles Ul coq NSW 1
21 William Graham QLD 1
22 Troy Patea NSW 1
23 Nat Thompson QLD 1

FastNFurious

Bill Watson (15)
Is this a list of kids kids that are playing in the carnival? I would be very surprised if Joeys kids were even able to trial for CIS.
That’s kinda of my point. Joeys tells the boys that are 1’s and 2’s candidates to prioritise school. If memory serves Pat Young played CIS last year, that was an exception and also a year when Joeys underperformed (even considering all the injuries).