• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
"The most recent U19s Super Rugby showed why the Brumbies remain the best Australian side.
I’m saying they recruit to success though… they need too.

The ones they recruit now aren’t the ones looked over by other states these days but rather kids looking to go to success.

I’ve said on other threads that the pathway to success is:
NSW16s>NSW18s>ACT19s>Brumbies>Wallabies

moa999

Ted Thorn (20)
let the players that athletically suit both play both with appropriate funding until 25,
NRL clubs say No.

And I don't blame the kids for taking the money. Top 30 in each of the NRL teams is on minimum $130k under current cap, and you've got a much better chance of being in the main squad at 18-20 in league than union.

Particularly when the reality is you are one unfortunate injury away from retirement.

Last edited:

BananaMan

Allen Oxlade (6)
For Joeys there were a few 16 year olds playing 'regularly' in 2023, Taumoepeau (1sts), Fowler (1sts/2nds), Hart (2nds) & Palmisani (2nds) (excluding Gough who played the last couple of games in 2nds due to an injury sustained in a trial match playing for the 1sts).

You can add Hartman (I) and Fonua (K) to that list of 16 year olds playing 1sts last year. There may be a few others from other schools that I may have missed.

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)
Aah there you go, my mistake mate so there were more 16 year old's in 2023. Taumoepeau debut for 1st XV at 15 years of age. I am certain majority of the boys you mentioned all made the NSW Waratahs U16 in 2023 too. Still, there are more 16 year old's in 2024 playing 1st XV than last year was my point.

Last edited:

sundayeightpm

Allen Oxlade (6)
You are right - Kings, New and Scots have multiple 16 year olds this year...which is both good and bad. Why do we think the number is higher this year? Is it an anomaly i.e. a talented group, or are issues with depth in the Opens (Yr 11-12)? Keen to hear some thoughts.

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)
I don't know why that is, I can only provide this info; In 2022 at the Waratahs U15 Cup held at Camden. The 16 yr olds that I mentioned (14 yrs old at the time) beat the U15 sides (There were 4 x U15 teams) and they won the U15 Waratahs Cup. That U14 team went undefeated by the way. There were 4 boys from this team that were selected in the Waratahs U15 side that went up to QLD that year, Justice Taumoepeau (#8), Jarryd King (Winger), Hasani Bloomfield (THP) and Iliyaz Viliamu(LHP). IMO though they are a year young, they definitely can match boys born in 2006&2007 boys.

I have attached a list of boys played in that U14 side in 2022. You will see MANY familiar names.

Attachments

• 2022.png
    2022.png
    75.9 KB · Views: 368
Last edited:

sundayeightpm

Allen Oxlade (6)
Thanks - yes, very close to that bunch. I was actually at that match where the U14 boys beat the U15 group. They are in the same grade at school as my son, but he plays an age group down. Let's hope they are just a talented group. There are several young boys who have been debuted in the front row for their respective Opens teams - and I worry about there development and readiness for that level. Time till tell - great to see many of those names still in the game at a high level.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)
My personal opinion, boys who play in the Tight 5 should not be rushed to play Opens. Some boys that plays front rowers may have the frame of lets say an 18 year old but it does not mean that they are properly conditioned like a 18yr old prop. I don't know the science behind the bones & muscles development but I could imagine there would be a difference between a 16yr old and a 18yr old. Or perhaps I'm wrong. But facts has proven this year that front rowers should not rush to play Opens. 2 of the finest 16 yr old front rowers that we have in NSW are now injured ( Iliyaz Viliamu (LHP), Isaiah Sheck (THP, LHP) from playing in the Opens. Viliamu has not played this year since he injured himself in a scrum in the TKS vs Newington trial game and Sheck who has been phenomenal for Newington also hurt his shoulder in a game against TKS. Both will not return this year and will not play the NSW U16's, their OWN AGE GROUP. I suppose, 'injuries' is all part of the rugby journey and it could happen at any time BUT...There is no need to RUSH

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
My personal opinion, boys who play in the Tight 5 should not be rushed to play Opens.
Completely agree with this. A problem that is creeping up into older ages though is uncontested scrums which may force some good prospects to play up and then get belted by a boy who is far more developed.

Iv'e seen games in the 15Bs that have been uncontested. How do we develop genuine front rowers if they don't get the reps in at younger ages. I understand safety concerns to a point but it will come at the expense of the game in a major way. There's also secondary issues such as sides just throwing more backrowers into the front row and call uncontested. We then wonder why our youth rep sides don't match up to the argentinian kids... We probably had the big kid who could be a monster tight head sitting in the Ds at no.8 because he wasn't fast enough to be in the As.

The Chairman

Cyril Towers (30)
Well that is the million dollar question. Probably impossible to answer without writing an essay. To put it short, I feel like the representative program is far too complicated, there should be a much easier system that is streamlined with the ultimate goal being playing for the U18 Wallabies. Also, the brand exposure is practically non-existent beyond the Private School system, which limits the talent pool by a s*** ton, and just gives league the leg-up it doesn't need. Thats putting it short, i'm sure some others will have something to say about it.

TheGPSBloke

Herbert Moran (7)
Amen, feel like both QLD and NSW representatives sides are way too disconnected. The focus should be placed upon building a stronger international side.

Mule

Sydney Middleton (9)
My personal opinion, boys who play in the Tight 5 should not be rushed to play Opens.
HEAR BLOODY HEAR!!!N Also players that might be 'predicted' to have a prop body shape in a few years get rep honours, then have a growth spurt, become lean or lazy, and get munched.....and the kids who had a great prop physique the whole time have been left to wallow without higher level opportunities.... and we wonder why our set piece is ordinary!!

Last edited: