• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)
Congrats to all!! Should be a good battle for spots in the NSW Waratahs U16. 1 Player I would keep an eye on is Country #15 Kden Carter. He was phenomenal all weekend.

Attachments

• 1720354864762.png
    1720354864762.png
    133.9 KB · Views: 1,000
  • 1720354887254.png
    1720354887254.png
    134.8 KB · Views: 986
  • 1720354915222.png
    1720354915222.png
    118 KB · Views: 974
  • 1720355010291.png
    1720355010291.png
    94.9 KB · Views: 1,002

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)
Few U16 names missing from list so assuming they have gone straight to the next stage.
CYRUS BLOOMFIELD - ISA
DARCY FELTHAM - ISA
SAMUEL POLLEY - ISA
FLYNN FARRELL - ISA
HASANI BLOOMFIELD - GPS
OLIVER SMITH - GPS
TALEN RISATI - GPS
TAJ SMITH - CAS
*JEREMY RATH - CAS
*JOSHUA FESOLOAI - AICES

***Edit - Added 2 x additional names

Last edited:

Rudderless

Trevor Allan (34)
Thanks TC

The next step for the Under 16s

The NSW Invitational is a round robin selection tournament on the 12th & 14th July where CRU U16s, SJRU U16s and the NSW Schools I & II U16s all compete for selection into one of the two NSW U16 Waratahs teams that will compete in the U16 National Academy games starting on Sun 28th September

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
Were they even considered, given their connections to league? Are RA (now the Waratahs) applying similar principles to the open boys, where they wont continue to invest in boys who are clearly committed to League?

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)
My understanding is as long as the boys are not signed to Rugby League beyond YR 12, they can still play represent NSW Waratahs. That is why the likes of Makasini, Large were able to play NSW Waratahs U16 last year. They have now committed to Rugby League beyond Year 12, therefore Waratahs will no longer consider them for their development programs (U18 etc). Do correct me if I am wrong, but that is my understanding.

runningrugbyrules

Larry Dwyer (12)
Saturday night is the perfect example why they should pick schoolboy League contracted players. Tom Wright couldn’t get the regular first grade spot and contract he wanted in the NRL. Came back to rugby with open arms and look how he’s going. Some players may want to play NRL but aren’t suited, but their skill set is a better fit in rugby.

TriggerBall

Herbert Moran (7)
Remember seeing Tom Wright do the same for Joeys - from memory 2015….
Expansive play - early ball to the outside backs - the game is so much more entertaining when it’s played that way.

Agree - the skillset for league and union has crossover but not suited to all.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Theres definitely a culture difference...I am actually a Queenslander, so I plead not guilty. However, more seriously - it has a lot to do with simple numbers...NSW has the most players....most athletes etc, and the most depth.
The number difference arent as drastic as the results though. Go back 10-15 years ago and across the 16s - Opens rep games NSW would probably win 60% v QLD and always a contest. It's seemingly one way traffic now which isn't good for Australia.

Just had a look through the last three seasons results of all NSW v QLD games in the Academy (U18s) and ARSU Champ games from U15s - U19s and there has been 28 games between NSW and QLD sides in that time. 26 NSW wins, 1 QLD win (2022 U18s 2nd game 28/26) and 1 Draw. Average margin is 20 points.

Has there been another reason for it? I know QLD shifted the season timing right?

The most recent U19s Super Rugby showed why the Brumbies remain the best Australian side. They aren't getting the rejects, they identify need and get what they need to fix it. They build the chip on the shoulder culture in the 90s which now means when you show up you better be ready to win.

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
The number difference arent as drastic as the results though. Go back 10-15 years ago and across the 16s - Opens rep games NSW would probably win 60% v QLD and always a contest.
This is bang on mate i.e. you have identified a huge problem - our game has become disconnected at so many levels. A large part of the RA agenda is to bring the game together and align the states etc. There's all this talk about fixing the grassroots game. How about we just admit that the GPS and private school system isn NSW and Qld are essential cogs in the wheel for national success (and not the problem). How many of our clubs and Shute Shield (NSW) sides are ex Indy school boys (and girls)?. If we accept this - getting the state schoolboy and school girl comps aligned and broadly on the same page can only have upside, no? For example, the end of season Top NSW School v QLD school could be into a damn fine contest and event.

sundayeightpm

Herbert Moran (7)
"The most recent U19s Super Rugby showed why the Brumbies remain the best Australian side. They aren't getting the rejects, they identify need and get what they need to fix it. They build the chip on the shoulder culture in the 90s which now means when you show up you better be ready to win."

Settle down big guy - 8 of the 15 of their forwards in the squad are not originally from the ACT, and I reckon 3-4 of their backs are not from the ACT neither?

The Cleaner

Ted Fahey (11)
Is this a new thing they have added this year, correct me if i'm wrong i don't think they did this last year
I know, the ISA boys, GPS boys and Taj Smith all play 1st XV for their school respectively so they are already competing at a higher level than U16? It make sense that they do not need to play the 16 Invitational. I think there's more U16 playing 1XV this year than last year. Justice Taumoepeau was probably the only one that played 1st XV in 2023? Well only one that played 'regularly'

Last edited:

Mule

Ted Fahey (11)
How about this for an idea - let the players that athletically suit both play both with appropriate funding until 25, then make a call on big contracts .... BUT invest more union development into the kids that are athletically only Union suited - 200cm + second rowers, 115kg front rowers, freakishly fast but maybe smaller wingers etc..... that's where IMHO we miss a beat in Aus and come unstuck at Super/International levels as we've tried to shoehorn too young (18-24yos), similar body types (6'-6'4" ~105kg athletes) into all positions and we lose games through not being able to match performance in key critical positions (front row, second row, x factor wingers)

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
"The most recent U19s Super Rugby showed why the Brumbies remain the best Australian side.
I’m saying they recruit to success though… they need too.

The ones they recruit now aren’t the ones looked over by other states these days but rather kids looking to go to success.

I’ve said on other threads that the pathway to success is:
NSW16s>NSW18s>ACT19s>Brumbies>Wallabies

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
let the players that athletically suit both play both with appropriate funding until 25,
NRL clubs say No.

And I don't blame the kids for taking the money. Top 30 in each of the NRL teams is on minimum $130k under current cap, and you've got a much better chance of being in the main squad at 18-20 in league than union.

Particularly when the reality is you are one unfortunate injury away from retirement.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.