• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

thesolicitor

Allen Oxlade (6)
Re; Daily Telegraph GPS sports article ; I don’t mind Rowing included with Rugby as the Rowers are obviously Australias best, just as many of the best Union/League players play in the GPS.

However including soccer, cricket, basketball and tennis is a joke as very few are the nations best at their respective sports and no one in those sports cares at all about GPS soccer, cricket, basketball, tennis. I played 1sts Basketball and it was a huge drop in standard from State leagues. Anyone who is talented in those sports will go overseas or AIS, and in the case of cricket play grade in Sydney 1st Division.

People only care about GPS Rugby and Rowing. Next time they’ll probably include AFL, handball, volleyball, hide‘n‘seek, Quidditch, Tiddlywinks and freesbie in the GPS sports championships table
You obviously haven’t been in touch with GPS basketball in recent years, every year the NSW state champion school comes from GPS/CAS 2022 to present newington, 2021 shore, 2019 riverview and some of the worlds best like Kings old boy and nba stud Josh green, view old boy and Sydney kings star Jordi Hunter, Australian boomers Nick Kay from newington, Isaac Humprihes from Scot’s, tyrese proctor (trinity grammar/duke university) come from the gps and private school system so to say it is a joke to you include sports like these is wrong especially considering that nsw state teams are often filled by gps/cas students and there are multiple Australian representatives and Australian selection camp athletes from multiple different gps schools in the past few years, including basketball in this graph is not to benefit Riverview as other schools have more premierships “this century” at the 1sts level but it is included because it would be wrong to not include a sport that attracts large crowds in the gps and is played at a high level

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Joker our patriarch
Just call me Godfather

BC750E9F-F481-4146-9F82-E6C35AAFBCAD.png

Last edited:

BananaMan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Why are you mentioning 16s players and last years 18s player. I was talking about this years U18 waratah games that happening in late Feb and early March.
I think you've misread what I wrote. I didn't mention last years 18s players, I said there were players playing opens last year meaning kids who were in yr 10 and 11 last year.

The President

Allen Oxlade (6)
Would it be time to put the Grammar 1st XV in the 2nd XV competition, drop SBHS 1st XV to the 4th XV comp and bring in Newington to the 3rds?
Grammar still needs to prove themselves in the 3rds comp but I like the idea. The issue with dropping SBHS to the 4th XV comp is that there will now be 4 competition teams which may be difficult to schedule all the games according to the 3rd XV comp so they have substitutes. Still not sold on Newington 3rd XV in the 3rd XV competition. They aren't dominating in the 4th XV competition so I don't think they would be able to compete with the other 3rd XV teams especially considering they are going co-ed soon which will have a huge effect on their sporting.

The President

Allen Oxlade (6)
300 pages down and we still have many matches to go. Congratulations to all who contributed in a variety of ways. There is plenty of debate kept civil. Banter aplenty too.

Special mention to all the students (many I have met) who are on here contributing in a positive way. You work allows many to learn about players and the rugby culture of schools. They are so good you can’t even pick them! Keep up the great work. The future of this thread is in your hands.

View attachment 19455
Great to see how involved everyone is with schoolboy rugby, especially the schoolboys!

Maul of Duty

Allen Oxlade (6)
GPS 1s
1. I Sheck (N)
2. C Ghattas (J)
3. F Harvison (E)
4. T Brial (S)
5. A Greer (J)
6. J logan (J)
7. M Le Maitre (E)
8. I Fonua (K)
9. A Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. H Conick (E)
13. T Hartman (I)
14. J McKenzie (S)
15. J Callaghan
I must admit that I am not fully across the backs however I would change out Sheck for Lavercombe (K) and also swap out Ghattas for Warner (E). I like Brial into 4 and keeping Fonua at 8.

Ballscollector

Herbert Moran (7)
GPS 1s
1. I Sheck (N)
2. C Ghattas (J)
3. F Harvison (E)
4. T Brial (S)
5. A Greer (J)
6. J logan (J)
7. M Le Maitre (E)
8. I Fonua (K)
9. A Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. H Conick (E)
13. T Hartman (I)
14. J McKenzie (S)
15. J Callaghan (E)
Ghattas vs Warner, Graham vs Greer, Gough vs Conick will be the main position battles in my eyes, I think Hartman is best suited in a team of this calibre on the wing, but I'm not too familiar with the selectors views on playing players out of their school position? Not too sure who I would pick to replace him but think Hartman is such a lethal finisher and would benefit from playing wing in a team full of superstars.

Footy head

Sydney Middleton (9)
Ghattas vs Warner, Graham vs Greer, Gough vs Conick will be the main position battles in my eyes, I think Hartman is best suited in a team of this calibre on the wing, but I'm not too familiar with the selectors views on playing players out of their school position? Not too sure who I would pick to replace him but think Hartman is such a lethal finisher and would benefit from playing wing in a team full of superstars.
Maybe Hartman (I) at Wing and Warner (N) at 13

-Footyhead

ItsNotPink

Darby Loudon (17)
Would it be time to put the Grammar 1st XV in the 2nd XV competition, drop SBHS 1st XV to the 4th XV comp and bring in Newington to the 3rds?
Grammar did not win the 3rd XV competition last year nor the year before (and only twice in the last decade). A bit premature to be suggesting promotion. Plus they usually have only two teams per grade in most age groups and that's an issue because it's not just about your 1st XV - its about who you play in all grades. Currently, the 1st XV and 2nd XV competitions mirror down to the age groups (If your 1sts and 2nd play a school then so do all your grades). The smaller rugby schools fit in around this structure (e.g. Grammar 16As could play Joeys 16Cs and everyone else moves down).
Regarding Sydney Boys High 1st XV, there is no official 4th XV competition. One reason that High, TAS and Grammar are in the 3rd XV comp is to allow all GPS schools to play in an official competition. But yes, if High continue to be well below 3rd XV competition standard sooner or later that decision may need to be made.

The Chairman

Ron Walden (29)
Should go along the lines of

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Harvison (E)
4. Graham (I)
5. Greer (J) (c)
6. Brial (S)
7. Logan (J)
8. Fonua (K)
9. Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Gough (J)
13. Hartman (I)
14. McKenzie (S)
15. Callaghan (E)

Tough in the back row, Graham had to fit in there, Le Maitre had to give way. No doubt he could be in there though.

FastNFurious

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Watching the replay of Joeys v. riverview match thorughout the course of yesterday I would have to say Warner would be my pick over Ghattas, whilst conditions were tough on what I imagine would be a very oily Joeys first feild his throwing was sub-par and he did not see as much involvement as I would expect from a GPS 1st hooker. As for Graham and Greer I believe that Grahams size and engine are superior to that of Greers. I believe Gough will be selected over Concick and even though he did not have a standout game against View he preformed his role to a high standard and made minimal mistakes. Whilst Hartman would be an asset at both wing and outside, watching the game I thought he held his weight well at inside and allowing him to receive the ball with space at outside will better utilise his pace.
- An Eagles Eye
Palmisani is the dark horse for 15 and I would not underestimate the chance of Tombs being in there either.

Mungo1866

Frank Nicholson (4)
Re; Daily Telegraph GPS sports article ; I don’t mind Rowing included with Rugby as the Rowers are obviously Australias best, just as many of the best Union/League players play in the GPS.

However including soccer, cricket, basketball and tennis is a joke as very few are the nations best at their respective sports and no one in those sports cares at all about GPS soccer, cricket, basketball, tennis. I played 1sts Basketball and it was a huge drop in standard from State leagues. Anyone who is talented in those sports will go overseas or AIS, and in the case of cricket play grade in Sydney 1st Division.

People only care about GPS Rugby and Rowing. Next time they’ll probably include AFL, handball, volleyball, hide‘n‘seek, Quidditch, Tiddlywinks and freesbie in the GPS sports championships table
High would probably like to add the GPS Volleyball and rifle shooting as that would give them something like 28 premierships since 2000. Only not awarded the title in volleyball once since it started in 2003 and 9 in shooting.
Rifle shooting - it’s an original sport but not sure which schools participate at TAS have collected 4 titles.
Best at sport is pretty subjective isn’t it?

CutOutBallFanatic

Allen Oxlade (6)
Watching the replay of Joeys v. riverview match thorughout the course of yesterday I would have to say Warner would be my pick over Ghattas, whilst conditions were tough on what I imagine would be a very oily Joeys first feild his throwing was sub-par and he did not see as much involvement as I would expect from a GPS 1st hooker. As for Graham and Greer I believe that Grahams size and engine are superior to that of Greers. I believe Gough will be selected over Concick and even though he did not have a standout game against View he preformed his role to a high standard and made minimal mistakes. Whilst Hartman would be an asset at both wing and outside, watching the game I thought he held his weight well at inside and allowing him to receive the ball with space at outside will better utilise his pace.
- An Eagles Eye
He played outside against Joeys.

Jim Brennan

Frank Nicholson (4)
MY GPS 1st XV
1. Sheck (N)
2. Warner (E)
3. Osborne (I)
4. Graham (I)
5. Greer (J)
6. Fanua (K)
7. Le Maitre/Logan; Toss Up (E/J)
8. Brial (S)
9. Grover (I)
10. Rodwell/Fowler; Toss up (N/J)
11. Makaseni (N)
12. Gough (J)
13. Tombs (J)
14. Hartman (I)
15. Callaghan (E)
Dear Cauliflower
I hope this message finds you well. I wish to express my keen interest in the young players Davis (I) with his point-black kicking and Weir (S) with his ruthless ball running. Both of these outstanding athletes have shown tremendous potential and skill.
In my humble opinion, I would personally select them for my "pony squad" for the GPS 1st XV. I believe they have the talent and determination to excel at this level.
I would love to hear your thoughts on this matter.

- Warm regards JB