• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Doing my HSC

Peter Burge (5)
The 2 interesting points that I have taken out of this
- Scots 1st in the 2nds Comp but Last in the 1sts Comp
It's interesting to see that Scots are excelling in the 2nds comp at 5-0 but are struggling in the 1sts comp at 1-3-1. This must mean that the 1sts and 2nd teams at Scots must be very even which is something we normally don't see in schoolboy rugby as there is normally a decent sized gap between 1sts and 2nd
- Joeys Winless in the 3rds Comp
This has come as a big surprise for myself and I assume others as well. Joeys are known for their depth so to see them struggling is a big surprise
Scots is a tough one

Easy to understand why they are doing well in the second competition with players such as Finlay Bartlett Max Sopeono and Will Adlam

Finlay Bartlett dominated in the 2XV in year 10 and 1XV in year 11, hence why he has been playing very well, interested to see if still eligble he is picked in a GPS team (IMO he deserves it)

Grubblin

Frank Row (1)
I was very surprised to see the shore crowd last Saturday. I was expecting a massive crowd, as that's what's been talked about on this forum by more than bias Shore students. But, the Scots crowd was probably the same size as the Shore crowd. I'm not trying to talk up Scots, I'm just saying that I've seen the Shore boys so praised for loud and big crowds, but that wasn't what I saw last Saturday. Maybe something else was on?

Also, @Joker my tips:
New +2
Scots +5
View +7
I had similar thoughts Rob. The crowds sure were loud but it didn't look like they had a big turnout in numbers. Maybe students lost faith after the last couple losses after being potential favourites for the prem?

I still think the student section showed some real loyalty against Joeys two weeks back when they came to The Hill in the torrential rain. Great game that was.

With a game against View this week at The Bridge after losing to them at the start of the season at the Swamp (unable to break the streak of losses at The Swamp since 2007), I'm expecting some revengeful hopes from the boys on the field and in the stand.

Time will tell. Cheers. Grubblin :D

The President

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hearing rumours out of Shore that year 11 Bede Clout has earned a spot in the 1st XV after a series of strong performances. Good on him. Unfortunately, Gus Reardon has been dropped to the 2nd XV. This will mean that he will get will play with his brother Hugh Reardon. It will be interesting to see how they perform together

Last edited:

MaulMasterMind

Bob McCowan (2)
Scots is a tough one

Easy to understand why they are doing well in the second competition with players such as Finlay Bartlett Max Sopeono and Will Adlam

Finlay Bartlett dominated in the 2XV in year 10 and 1XV in year 11, hence why he has been playing very well, interested to see if still eligble he is picked in a GPS team (IMO he deserves it)
From my view the Young Scots 10 Oliver Sinclair (2nd XV 2024) is a must to be brought in this week. Shift Onitoni to a position he feels comfortable. The great kicking game of Sinclair is what will do it for them this week as they take on Kings out in Parramatta. Hopefully we can see the boys from Bellevue Hill back to their winning ways.

MaulMasterMind

Bob McCowan (2)
Hearing rumours out of Shore that year 11 Bede Clout has earned a spot in the 1st XV after a series of strong performances. Good on him. Unfortunately, Gus Reardon has been dropped to the 2nd XV. This does mean that he will get will play with his brother Hugh Reardon. Which will be interesting to see how they perform together
What a great sight to see Hugh Reardon (Year 11) and Angus Reardon (Year 12) the brothers from Moree will run out together this weekend against View. Will they create some Moree madness on the field?

Last edited:

PROPaganda

Herbert Moran (7)
3rd XV to 1st XV is a credit to his hard work and determination; a very physical and energetic player. Credit also to the coaches for rewarding consistent good performances, a statement to the playing group and the sign of a building program in Shore.
Was then really in the 3rd XV due to his abilities, was merely coming back from injury. Should've been in the mix for 1st all year.

wisemaan

Banned
Post-Match Analysis: Shore vs Scots at Stirling Bridge

Due to my time I will only be posting 1 post game review. ( Only game I watched this week ). Will still be doing previews later on for this Saturday..

It was electric as both teams took the field to Stirling Bridge last Saturday. This was a match in a season in which defeat would very much mean Chernobyl—it would be over.

Bellevue Hill boys came seeking expectation, nervous even though their 2nd XV had been having a successful season. The Shore boys knew this was a key game to get redeeming premiership sights in view. Here's how things went down:

UNDERPERFORMED OR PERFORMED?

Bassingthwaite and Callaghan: New Hope

The addition of Bassingthwaite and Callaghan to the Shore program this year has been monumental. Bassingthwaite stood out with great footwork and game sense for a performance that hints at even greater things next year. His partner, Callaghan, showed remarkable agility and speed to become one of the most exciting players in schoolboy rugby over the next year.

Fitler: Hero or Letdown?
Fitler, on paper, just seems to have so much potential. Performance on Saturday, however, was underwhelming. This really had to be one of those games in which he stepped up and came out visibly not quite to expectations. Where the season depends on it, I look forward to him rising to the occasion against King's and really turning things around for his team.

Le'Maitre and Warner: Hole-in-One Performance
Again, it was Le'Maitre who picked the team up, playing a really great game himself with an excellent try. Warner, who had vomited at halftime, turned up for the entire second half—a true attribute of his workhorse mentality—and his perseverance and tenacity must be commended.

Who Knows...
From a Scot's point of view, they did not play badly. But after Shore defended some of their key players, Scots found themselves in trouble. The game had been so close, and Scots may still have a lot to do as they gear up to take on King's for a second time. For Shore, not all is lost just yet. There is this thin veil of hope. The Shore boys edged past their rivals by a whisker on Saturday last, however.

Crowd Performance

This energy, very impressive for an away game, was matched by the Scots supporters. Back-and-forth chanting between the schools heated things up even more. Notably, the Shore boys stood for the entire second half—now that's how you support a basketball team. That type of engagement needs to be mandated; it really enhances this culture and atmosphere for these games. That culture needs to be elevated across all schools to this level.

The game became full-activated, keeping everyone on their toenails. Each team shows promise, and it will be interesting how they come out in the remaining games. For now, Shore can celebrate a hard-won victory, while Scots need to regroup and prepare for their next challenge.

However only time will tell...

Yours in sporting reason, A sane observer

- wisemaan

Last edited:

George Anderson

Bob McCowan (2)
Kings came back from a big margin in the first half and brought the game back to almost being in a winnable situation. On the other hand, Scots have been a punish to watch, scraped a win against View when the field was a giant puddle and haven't thrown a punch since. The noise surrounding their team is more like a reality TV show rather than a professional/successful sporting team. Can't do power rankings on what they might in to turn into when they get a full team, only based on their output thus far.
Although kings did come back, it was not without the assistance of the referee. They look to be quite a strong side, however Newington seemed to have the upper hand until a yellow card (questionable at best) and a penalty try (deserved) brought them back in the game.

Backintheolddays

Watty Friend (18)
Although kings did come back, it was not without the assistance of the referee. They look to be quite a strong side, however Newington seemed to have the upper hand until a yellow card (questionable at best) and a penalty try (deserved) brought them back in the game.
I'll bite. Penalty try and yellow were in the last minute so little impact on the game. And both were warranted. After being warned on the previous maul the guilty party came around to the wrong side of the maul and collapsed the ball carrier. Was absolutely blatant. Obvious on the video and live. Kings were dreadful in the first 20, didn't turn up and looked like they were expecting to win without putting in. Gave too much of a lead up but looked much better once they got into the game. New were too good to chase down but Kings did an admirable job.