• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
Round 6
We all now know that each round is hard.
Big match at Hunters Hill as the cattle dogs await the wookie hordes.

1718533997193.png

8u0tlz.jpg

tight5

Bob McCowan (2)
I am surprised that this forum is not talking about the amazing come back of the boys from Newington. NEW backline? They should all be in the GPS backline. Their 10? One of the best if not THE BEST going around. Makasini, he made it look too easy.
Newingtons probably got the best back 3 in the comp, Granthams no slouch and has played at 15. Difference I thought was in the forwards. Not really renowned for set piece NC held it together and cancelled out the forward arm wrestle. They did have a bit of luck in the lineouts

Billy McGee

Frank Nicholson (4)
Who do you foresee changing throughout the next week or two? Would be interesting to see some other thoughts on this?
My overall breakdown of the view team so far.
Forwards: Look really, showed that once again on saturday against Joeys even with their blindside flanker out and a change in hooker (Who I believe played well on Saturday). Lineouts look good, rarely a wayward throw with either hooker.
Backs: To me the View 10's kicking game was too weak and just looked run over against Joeys fullback. I believe Newton (The current 14) should come into 10, with either a switch between the two positions or someone from their seconds side too come up and fill the position. The other wing looks to be having quite a season so far for someone who may lack a bit of size. Hartman looked to run more as a centre rather than winger which lead to more offensive build up, and Mcgrath looked very solid at 12 even setting up a try with his cheeky kick. Not too sure what too do with the fullback position if Mason has managed too pick up a shoulder injury. Other than that I think View will feel unlucky too not have come out with a win in any of their last 3 games and will hope too pick it up against shore.

Cheers,
- Fanatic
Important to note first up, @CutOutBallFanatic, that I think we’re seeing these games through a similar lens.
The View forwards have been VERY impressive and those who have been asked to step up through injury have performed. No shortage of forward momentum so not too many excuses for the backs.

I think Newton should come back into 10 and that Garling would do well to ply his trade in 2s for a while. He’s a very good footballer and will be the starting 10 next year. A big off season in the gym will help his defence.

Folkes is the smaller winger you’re referencing and has had a strong season. Give him space and earlier ball and he will show his best. Very rapid. Can make things happen through sheer grit and determination.

I’d slot Butler from 2s onto the other wing. Has plenty of speed and has played there before. Defends very well and can finish. Looked as if he was going on to replace Mason when he went down on the weekend so can’t be far off.

Have no idea if Mason’s shoulder is serious.
He did well to recover from the dropped 2nd half kick-off (mentally) and with the dominance of the Joeys 10’s kicking game, had to cover a lot of territory - testing his fitness. Would keep him there for the time being to give him a chance playing behind a 10 that can find the grass with his kicks.

McGrath’s debut, again, was excellent and he should be a lock for 12. I was sceptical and was absolutely proven wrong. Excellent selection.

Hartman is elite - good to see earlier ball his way on the weekend - but his second try was opportunistic and flattered the View team on the scoreboard.

They’ve been in every game they’ve played but 3 losses in a row means this weekend’s game against Shore is season defining.

The Chairman

Ron Walden (29)
Important to note first up, @CutOutBallFanatic, that I think we’re seeing these games through a similar lens.
The View forwards have been VERY impressive and those who have been asked to step up through injury have performed. No shortage of forward momentum so not too many excuses for the backs.

I think Newton should come back into 10 and that Garling would do well to ply his trade in 2s for a while. He’s a very good footballer and will be the starting 10 next year. A big off season in the gym will help his defence.

Folkes is the smaller winger you’re referencing and has had a strong season. Give him space and earlier ball and he will show his best. Very rapid. Can make things happen through sheer grit and determination.

I’d slot Butler from 2s onto the other wing. Has plenty of speed and has played there before. Defends very well and can finish. Looked as if he was going on to replace Mason when he went down on the weekend so can’t be far off.

Have no idea if Mason’s shoulder is serious.
He did well to recover from the dropped 2nd half kick-off (mentally) and with the dominance of the Joeys 10’s kicking game, had to cover a lot of territory - testing his fitness. Would keep him there for the time being to give him a chance playing behind a 10 that can find the grass with his kicks.

McGrath’s debut, again, was excellent and he should be a lock for 12. I was sceptical and was absolutely proven wrong. Excellent selection.

Hartman is elite - good to see earlier ball his way on the weekend - but his second try was opportunistic and flattered the View team on the scoreboard.

They’ve been in every game they’ve played but 3 losses in a row means this weekend’s game against Shore is season defining.
I would be interested to see Hartman at Fullback. Hes got the speed and athleticism. Just some food for thought.

The Chairman

Ron Walden (29)
Lacks the kicking ability needed in the modern game, if it was a viable option you would have to think they would have pulled the trigger weeks ago. He has been good at outside and is a position of consistency in their constantly shifting back-line.
Well if they are going to do it, they should do it this week. At a relatively small ground (Northbridge) in clear conditions. Ignatius like to use Grover as their main source of kicker anyways. Don't think it would have that much of an impact. Maybe Mason to 13, but then again that 13 slot would be wide open when he has been a rock their this whole season.

Billy McGee

Frank Nicholson (4)
Well if they are going to do it, they should do it this week. At a relatively small ground (Northbridge) in clear conditions. Ignatius like to use Grover as their main source of kicker anyways. Don't think it would have that much of an impact. Maybe Mason to 13, but then again that 13 slot would be wide open when he has been a rock there this whole season.
I think Hartman should stay at 13 and that those at 10 and 12 should ensure he gets the ball sooner. He’s defended very well in that difficult channel.
While I said I’d like to see him at 15 - that’s more a general comment.
There were better signs on the weekend with earlier trigger ball to him

The Chairman

Ron Walden (29)
Round 6
We all now know that each round is hard.
Big match at Hunters Hill as the cattle dogs await the wookie hordes.

View attachment 19414

View attachment 19415
Thoughts:

SJC v NC (@The Asylum/Heavens Pasture)

MATCH OF THE ROUND. Battle of the titans. Two clear favourites for the title, really an unstoppable force against an immovable object. So many fantastic position battles in this one. The ones that scream at me the most are Rodwell v Fowler at the 10. Both have proven their class, but Fowler will need to have an absolute blinder to shutdown Rodwell and New's offensive prowess. I'm also looking at Humphries v Gough in the 12 slot. Both have been in red-hot form recently and are scoring tries left right and centre. Last one that i'm looking at is Simmons v Logan in the Openside battle. Simmons has been a bit quiet recently, and Logan's form as one of the best in the comp seems to be slowing down a bit too. Both will be needing massive tackles and pilfers to keep their team in it.

At the end of the day, the Asylum residents will get over the line via home field advantage.

THE POPES DEAREST SERVANTS GET UP +5 (29-24)

SHORE v SIC (@Bassingthwaighte Park/Stirling Bridge)

May not be the biggest game in terms of the AAGPS, but most certainly the biggest for the individual teams seasons. Both SHORE and SIC are hanging onto their title hopes by a thread while hanging off a cliff, and whoever loses this will be falling from that cliff. One thing is for sure, both of these teams will be cheering for the men from Stanmore. This game will be determined by one thing. Who can shut down the stars. If SIC want to win, they will have to shut down Callaghan and Bassingthwaighte from running riot in the dry conditions, and Harvison and Le Maitre from dominating the forwards. If SHORE are to win, they need to shut down Graham and his running ability, and Hartman. They managed to contain the TSC's stars in the backs last week, which effectively won them the game.

When all is said and done, the stars of SHORE just shone that bit brighter than that of SIC.

REVENGE IS SERVED COLD BY LE MAITRE'S MEN +3 (35-32)

TKS v TSC (@Castle Greyskull)

One question. Can Scots finally string it together? Each week I am dissapointed as I think they just have too many stars too fail. A bit like if Lehman Brothers were an AAGPS Rugby team. They looked directionless last week against the Shore boys, and really just relied on individual brilliance to keep them alive. The answer for me is no. Although now that i've said that and gone against them for once, I guarantee they will get up. One more prediction here: One freakish try from Large or McKenzie due to them just being that good.

But King's, while not having the most star studded roster, have a good game plan and team synergy. Should be enough to get up in front of their comrades in their postcode.

BRAINS BEATS BRAWN ONCE MORE +13 (27-14)

The Cleaner

Chris McKivat (8)
The 2 tries Makasini set up and scored were scary good. The more he touches it, the better they look. The 10 is inventive and crafty, but I think the 9 is slightly underrated (not crazy good but just underrated), probably the best pass off the deck in the GPS. If not Joeys, they will win the premiership.
Makasini, Grantham, Rodwell game over! Will be interesting to see their game plan next week against Joey.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
Wouldn’t it be great if the GPS teams this year were picked on form instead of reputation?? You’d have to think with sides and individuals surprising on the up and downside the rep teams should look different to what was expected before a ball was kicked.
This is my GPS form picked team so far (call me an idiot, I don't keep tabs on reputation, these are the standouts for me)

1. I Sheck (N)
2. C Ghattas (J)
3. D Osborne (I)
4. T Brial (S)
5. A Greer (J)
6. C Conna (I)
7. J Logan (J)
8. I Fonua (K)
9. A Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. M Gough (J)
13. T Hartman (I)
14. J McKenzie (S)
15. J Callaghan (E)

Reserves:
16. J Warner (E)
17. C Quinn (J)
18. H Lavercombe (K)
19. P Graham (I)
20. J Taumoepeau (J)
21. C Hickey (N)
22. L Fenwicke (K)
23. T Risati (K)

Let me know your thoughts, I picked every player within their respective position at a school level and I understand that may change when Reps roll around so bear with me. Conna stands out to me as someone who could play 6 hence why I picked him there, (I know he plays 8)

The Cleaner

Chris McKivat (8)
This is my GPS form picked team so far (call me an idiot, I don't keep tabs on reputation, these are the standouts for me)

1. I Sheck (N)
2. C Ghattas (J)
3. D Osborne (I)
4. T Brial (S)
5. A Greer (J)
6. C Conna (I)
7. J Logan (J)
8. I Fonua (K)
9. A Grover (I)
10. Rodwell (N)
11. Makasini (N)
12. M Gough (J)
13. T Hartman (I)
14. J McKenzie (S)
15. J Callaghan (E)

Reserves:
16. J Warner (E)
17. C Quinn (J)
18. H Lavercombe (K)
19. P Graham (I)
20. J Taumoepeau (J)
21. C Hickey (N)
22. L Fenwicke (K)
23. T Risati (K)

Let me know your thoughts, I picked every player within their respective position at a school level and I understand that may change when Reps roll around so bear with me. Conna stands out to me as someone who could play 6 hence why I picked him there, (I know he plays 8)
IMO I think the #23 will better next year and near perfect in 2026 not quite mature yet for this year. I feel he's not quite ready for GPS 18 for U16 definitely.

ItsNotPink

Darby Loudon (17)
3rd XV Round 2 Report
We have had only two competition rounds, but already the favourites are making themselves known.
Three teams are undefeated - Scots, Shore and Grammar.
Two teams have had one win - Riverview and Kings.
Three teams have had two losses - Joeys, TAS and High.
There are still five rounds to go but the three undefeated teams are looking like premiership contenders.

Scots 50 d High 5
Well this went exactly to script, but I am pleased to see that High scored their first try of the season. No trouble for Scots as they opened their season with two wins and look to be in great form to retain the Col Windon Shield this year. They travel to Kings next week while High host TAS at Centennial Park.

Shore 13 d Joeys 5
I predicted a Joeys comeback but it was not to be as Shore dominated this fixture at Northbridge from the start. They are looking the goods in 2024 and will be tough to beat in the upcoming rounds. Joeys on the other hand have started with two losses and that is normally the end of your season in the 3rd XV competition. Still I think they can cause a lot of trouble for other teams in the remaining rounds, starting with Grammar next week at Hunters Hill and I will be there to see that. Shore host Riverview at Northbridge and I think they will be up for that challenge as they continue their quest for their first official 3rd XV premiership since 1951.

Grammar 28 d Riverview 8
A big win for Grammar at Weigall and while I tipped the result it was a much bigger margin than expected. The Grammar fortress remains intact! They now travel to Hunters Hill next week trying to make it three wins in a row and most punters would be backing them to do it. Riverview are away at Northbridge and that's a must win game for them if they are to stay in touch with the top of the table.

Kings 17 d TAS 12
A close contest as predicted and well done to the sky blue, recording an away win in Armidale which is always difficult. That gives Kings their first win, but they face an undefeated Scots team at Gowan Brae next week in what will be a season-defining match for them. I do think that TAS will be in the contest this year as they have indicated and they will be looking for their first win next week when they travel to Sydney again to face High.

It's warming up and looking like a great competition ahead.

Cheers
INP