• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Rookie21

Larry Dwyer (12)
G'day from my home in Cardiff, Wales. A country that lives and breathes rugby. Rugby is a religion here. Very proud to be half Welsh.

Woke up this morning to an Instagram post saying Shore had beaten Scots 22-17. Could not be more happy. Shore's gameplan was executed superbly and their containment of Large was sublime. Though, I thought it was interesting they played him at 10. I wish Scots would play as a team and not as individuals. The brother of one of my best friends is in the Shore 1st XV and I know they are all very close and have great comradery. I'm wondering if possibly the Scots boys don't get on as well with each other? Or if it's simply poor coaching?

Never underestimate the power of mateship.

Will try and do some previews next week but I will be backpacking so will only have my phone on me. Let's see how that goes.

JackJill

Sydney Middleton (9)
5 played and 5 to go.

1sts are last yet their 2nds are undefeated.

Time for the Scots coaches to make some big calls regardless of the backlash (from players and parents).
Most definitely. They should look to take a page out of New's book. Newington has surprised me as their coaches seemingly have found the right formula to utilise all of their star players in a structure that gets the most out of their individual talent. Somethings clicking over there at New and it is something to watch.

Scots seem to lack direction. To be honest, they have had a bit of a fly-half crisis since the start. They get out-kicked by teams and I would suggest they need to bring in an actual 10 who plays it as his first position. Some of their 2s forwards as well ask questions of why they are not in the 1s. Disappointing from such a highly touted side, hopefully, they can make strategic swaps and get on the trot again against Kings next week.

Game_Day_Ritual

Ward Prentice (10)
Most definitely. They should look to take a page out of New's book. Newington has surprised me as their coaches seemingly have found the right formula to utilise all of their star players in a structure that gets the most out of their individual talent. Somethings clicking over there at New and it is something to watch.

Scots seem to lack direction. To be honest, they have had a bit of a fly-half crisis since the start. They get out-kicked by teams and I would suggest they need to bring in an actual 10 who plays it as his first position. Some of their 2s forwards as well ask questions of why they are not in the 1s. Disappointing from such a highly touted side, hopefully, they can make strategic swaps and get on the trot again against Kings next week.
3 of the seconds forwards were in the 1sts I think or could be 4… they were in the 1sts… poor team selections … even worse coaching .. no plan B… very one dimensional rugby.

UpnUnder

Larry Dwyer (12)
3 of the seconds forwards were in the 1sts I think or could be 4… they were in the 1sts… poor team selections … even worse coaching .. no plan B… very one dimensional rugby.
I don’t know if coaching is the issue. They have Ando who coached 1st XV premierships at Joeys and Sivo who coched the winning 2nd XV team at Joeys last year and he also coached the undefeated Gen Blue U16 team. So they have form as good coaches. Perhaps it is the program, or the cattle. Perhaps it’s the internal conflict players might feel when feel time is divided between loyalty to school and a NRL franchise. Perhaps it is a lack of cohesion and a sense of resentment that must be natural when the next greatest player is parachuted in and put on a pedestal. Perhaps it is the coaching and all of the above and perhaps injuries have played a role. Either way Scots has been red hot favourites or at worst second favourite for at least 6 years and haven’t really bothered the record keepers.

Last edited:

Cauliflower Ear

Stan Wickham (3)
Joeys v View:
I don't how Riverview do it; always playing out of their skins when it comes to this game, came in with a clear game plan and made a statement in that first half, but just lacked the execution to go on with it. Joeys tightening their grip on the GPS, showing they can absorb the pressure and pounce on the opportunities when they arise. Don't see any holes in this team with a physical pack and shifty backs, firmly the favourites.

Best Players (Unsure on names; doesn't say on streamer):
View: 8; Went head to head against probably the most imposing foward in our competition, workhorse. 12; Set up the first try with a kick and bruising in defense. Front Row: Dominant scrum and high work-rate.
Joeys: 10; Kicking game won them the game in the second half. 15: Electric with ball in hand, reads the game very well. 5: Clear leader of the pack, always getting dirty in defense and running hard in attack.

Cauliflower Ear

Stan Wickham (3)
I believe in View the boys named were
12 - Mcgrath, previously fullback.
8 - Conna
And the front rower that I believe you were talking about is Tancred.
- Something interesting to note is that all of these boys are year 11, Future is looking bright for ignatius, with 9/15 boys in the team being either year 10 or year 11.
Will we see an Ignatius prem next year? Would like to hear some thoughts.

Cheers,
- Fanatic
I thought the entire View front row played well. I also believe Joeys has plenty of year 11s in their team, a scary thought given how well they are playing this year.

Where's the beef

Allen Oxlade (6)
I thought view played as well as they could yesterday. Their 4 was epic, the front row was great. They had more than enough ball to win. As for Joeys, I thought the 7 was very important. The steals took alot of heat out of view attack.

I am not yet convinced that this joeys side is as lethal as others may think. I was WOW after Scots, but I think the loss against Kings is still being felt. They had to work very hard yesterday, and got the job done, but it was far from comfortable. Remember they have New at Home but then Scots away, Shore away and View away. So I think Kings and New at home will be so important to them. If they play like they did against scots they win. The question is when will that return. There is only 1 game in this at the turn.

Balmain Subbies

Watty Friend (18)
I don’t know if coaching is the issue. They have Ando who coached 1st XV premierships at Joeys and Sivo who coched the winning 2nd XV team at Joeys last year and he also coached the undefeated Gen Blue U16 team. So they have form as good coaches. Perhaps it is the program, or the cattle. Perhaps it’s the internal conflict players might feel when feel time is divided between loyalty to school and a NRL franchise. Perhaps it is a lack of cohesion and a sense of resentment that must be natural when the next greatest player is parachuted in and put on a pedestal. Perhaps it is the coaching and all of the above and perhaps injuries have played a role. Either way Scots has been red hot favourites or at worst second favourite for at least 6 years and haven’t really bothered the record keepers.
It's clearly coaching. Why have Brial in the second row and filter and 14..........makes no sense at all

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
It's clearly coaching. Why have Brial in the second row and filter and 14..........makes no sense at all
3C401867-EA50-474B-8607-8F2BCC05035D.jpeg

The Chairman

Alex Ross (28)
Yeah some of those positions are questionable…

I do agree that putting Johnson at 15 was the right move, but Sopeono wasn’t doing that bad at 10, and if they did want an alternative to him, Sinclair has been playing very well in the 2nd XV. Further to that, initially building the backline around Lemoto at 12 then moving him to the back row doesn't make much sense to me. Just seems bizarre.