• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goosestep

Jim Clark (26)
The issue with Scots Rugby at the moment is they are playing rugby league in a rugby union game against sides who play union very well. At the end of the day, names on the team sheets don't matter if tactically not there. On the weekend, Joeys slowed down the game, and controlled the tempo and Scots with their league approach were no match. This week will be very interesting to see both team selections and how they bounce back against View at home.
Nah - that’s just the modern game .. league and union are getting similar - reality is Joey’s just outclassed them .

Maul of Duty

Ward Prentice (10)
Anyone have a GPS 1s prediction
1 - Hayden Lavercombe (Kings)
2 - James Warner (Shore)
3 - Tom Duddy (Scots)
4 - Issac Fonua ( Kings)
5 - Ed Baxter (Shore)
6 - Luca Cleverly (Newington) C
7 - Marshall Le Maitre (Shore)
8 - Toby Brial (Scots) VC
9 - Angus Grover (Riverview)
10 - Toby Rodwell (Newington)
11- Heamasi Makasini (Newington)
12 - Matthew Gough (Joeys)
13 - Tom Hartman (Riverview)
14 - Jay Macenzie (scots)
15 - Leo Jaques (Scots)

RushingRob

Ward Prentice (10)
The issue isn't with league it's the coaching of the Scots 1stXV. The coaches are picking kids in positions they have never played before. Apologies someone needs to say it! The Elephant in the room. If the coaches dont pick kids in positions they have played for in years, it's a struggle as witnessed Saturday against an excellent very well coached Joeys team. Scots were out coached, simple as that... Congrat to all at Joeys they deserved it. Scots won only 4 games out of 30 on Saturday seems like they need shake up, maybe Brian Smith wasn't the issue!!!!
How many do other schools win V Joeys each week??? Every single Joeys' C, D, E, F, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, etc would be undefeated every single year, @Joker can you please confirm?? I don't think Joeys lower teams in each age group would ever lose a game to ANY school, Scots isn't alone.
Was a massive win for the 2nds but major lowlight was the Scots boys booing the Joeys nine as he lined up to take a penalty goal after the full-time whistle. Expect more.
Booing? Not at all. There was noise made as he kicked it but thats it, certainly no booing.
It was students Joker, the students were also responsible for the profanities screamed at players on the field throughout 1’s and 2’s.
Ok and you would know how? Stop spreading bs and lies.
I did think it might have been old boys though. In my years at Scots I never recall a time when the students did.
Thank you Joker,

Can everyone please just go back to the fact Shore had it's whole crowd screaming at full volume as the view kicker was lining up, taking his steps back and then going in for the kick. That is way too far AND it was in a firsts comp. Can always count on Shore for a scapegoat.

Last edited:

RushingRob

Ward Prentice (10)
2 - James Warner (Shore)
3 - Tom Duddy (Scots)
4 - Issac Fonua ( Kings)
5 - Ed Baxter (Shore)
15 - Leo Jaques (Scots)
Tom Duddy is in Scots seconds?

Joker

Staff member
How many do other schools win V Joeys each week??? Every single Joeys' C, D, E, F, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, etc would be undefeated every single year, @Joker can you please confirm?? I don't think Joeys lower teams in each age group would ever lose a game to ANY school, Scots isn't alone.

Don’t have my stats stuff here in bed but I can tell you that in 1981 Joeys had 42 teams. Of them 36 were undefeated. 3 lost 1 game. The others were fed gruel for a month. 81’ was Joeys centenary. Everyone wanted to win. My team went 12 games conceding only 9 points. Our coach made us run laps of the oval on Monday for every point conceded that previous Saturday.

Game_Day_Ritual

Ward Prentice (10)
I think
2 - James Warner (Shore)
3 - Tom Duddy (Scots)
4 - Issac Fonua ( Kings)
5 - Ed Baxter (Shore)
15 - Leo Jaques (Scots)
I think Duddy may be a long shot as playing 2nds at Scots. However has anyone ever played 2nds and made a GPS team? maybe Joeys may have done it back in the 1990?

Joker

Staff member
I think

I think Duddy may be a long shot as playing 2nds at Scots. However has anyone ever played 2nds and made a GPS team? maybe Joeys may have done it back in the 1990?
In 2004 the Joeys 2nds half played AAGPS 2nds. NSW 2nds and Australian A. The kid in front of him was the Joeys 1st XV half.

in 1990 16 boys made GPS teams

Joeys 1990 rep.jpg

Last edited:

Tiaan Biscuits

Bob McCowan (2)
It's a little of both - the new TSC #12 didn't play like a Union back, Joey's back row outplayed TSC (bar Brial), TSC backs need to learn to stay out in defence and trust their Centre to tackle and not step-in; literally a school boy error that so many take with them into Colts Rugby.

Joey's played high tempo, and kept hold of the ball - I lost count the number of time TSC kicked or grubered the ball away. Joey's #10 controlled the game, and kept the ball in hand with excellent running lines - the 2nd half try by Joey's #11 a great example.

TSC coaching is predictable and hasn't really changed since B Smith days - a kicking #10 and play territory - try and use the League boys to bash holes, rinse and repeat, and if that doesn't work kick again.

The player positions are also key - TSC #15 is a #14 (as long as he stays out in defence), the TSC #14 is a #12, TSC #13 is in his correct position, TSC #12 needs time to learn his trade in 2nds, and promote a 2nds player to #15. Not sure what depth TSC have at #10, but maybe a change there also.
Respectfully Brial was not anywhere near his best vs Joeys. He scored an opportunist try off a quick tap, but otherwise got driven back in several tackles, once manhandled off the ground. Arnautovic went around him with ease to score his try. He did not look to be the strongest 8 in the comp on that form.

Tiaan Biscuits

Bob McCowan (2)
Someone said this on the forum the other day about lazy selection comments. Cleverly currently injured. Brial ordinary vs Joeys. Le Maître yet to face the top backrowers in the comp eg Logan. Joeys beat both Newington and Scots convincingly, and yet in this selection Joeys get 1, and Scots/New get 7?? Nonsense. Spouting the same old names with no regard to current form.
And Tom Duddy currently playing seconds. Ridiculous.

FastNFurious

Alfred Walker (16)

Booing? Not at all. There was noise made as he kicked it but thats it, certainly no booing.

Ok and you would know how? Stop spreading bs and lies.

Thank you Joker,

Can everyone please just go back to the fact Shore had it's whole crowd screaming at full volume as the view kicker was lining up, taking his steps back and then going in for the kick. That is way too far AND it was in a firsts comp. Can always count on Shore for a scapegoat.
I know because I was there. It’s not BS, it’s not a rumour.

The Chairman

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Anyone have a GPS 1s prediction
This is the form side in the comp in my eyes at least.

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Taggart (J)
4. Baxter (E)
5. Fonua (K)
6. Logan (J)
7. Le Maitre (E)
8. Brial (S)
9. Grover (I)
10. Bassingthwaighte (E)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Conick (E)
13. Hartman (I)
14. McKenzie (S)
15. Palmisani (J)

FastNFurious

Alfred Walker (16)

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Taggart (J)
4. Baxter (E)
5. Fonua (K)
6. Logan (J)
7. Le Maitre (E)
8. Brial (S)
9. Grover (I)
10. Bassingthwaighte (E)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Conick (E)
13. Hartman (I)
14. McKenzie (S)
15. Palmisani (J)
I don’t think this is even close. How can Shore dominate the form team when as a team they haven’t been dominant? This is the form team as seen from a turret in Northbridge.

Tiaan Biscuits

Bob McCowan (2)

1. Lavercombe (K)
2. Warner (E)
3. Taggart (J)
4. Baxter (E)
5. Fonua (K)
6. Logan (J)
7. Le Maitre (E)
8. Brial (S)
9. Grover (I)
10. Bassingthwaighte (E)
11. Makasini (N)
12. Conick (E)
13. Hartman (I)
14. McKenzie (S)
15. Palmisani (J)
Pretty fair team. Ghattas (J) must be close to challenging Warner. Fittler unlucky to be stuck on a wing at Scots getting hardly any ball. Fenwicke (K) two tries last weekend and in great form, although playing at 12 not 10. Gough (J) must surely be in at 12, he is Uber strong on the carry. Palmisani has been in great form but impossible to go past Jacques (S) at 15.

Tiaan Biscuits

Bob McCowan (2)
Pretty fair team. Ghattas (J) must be close to challenging Warner. Fittler unlucky to be stuck on a wing at Scots getting hardly any ball. Fenwicke (K) two tries last weekend and in great form, although playing at 12 not 10. Gough (J) must surely be in at 12, he is Uber strong on the carry. Palmisani has been in great form but impossible to go past Jacques (S) at 15.
Greer (J) can’t be overlooked. Taumoepeau (J) comfortably better than Brial on Sat.

Showandgo

Frank Row (1)
It's a little of both - the new TSC #12 didn't play like a Union back, Joey's back row outplayed TSC (bar Brial), TSC backs need to learn to stay out in defence and trust their Centre to tackle and not step-in; literally a school boy error that so many take with them into Colts Rugby.

Joey's played high tempo, and kept hold of the ball - I lost count the number of time TSC kicked or grubered the ball away. Joey's #10 controlled the game, and kept the ball in hand with excellent running lines - the 2nd half try by Joey's #11 a great example.

TSC coaching is predictable and hasn't really changed since B Smith days - a kicking #10 and play territory - try and use the League boys to bash holes, rinse and repeat, and if that doesn't work kick again.

The player positions are also key - TSC #15 is a #14 (as long as he stays out in defence), the TSC #14 is a #12, TSC #13 is in his correct position, TSC #12 needs time to learn his trade in 2nds, and promote a 2nds player to #15. Not sure what depth TSC have at #10, but maybe a change there also.
Scots rugby are in shambles for the 1st they have dropped 3 players in form to the 2s for the clash against river view whilst players were in form but classic Scot’s rugby dropping the wrong players like in the forwards when really they should be looking at the #10 who can’t make kicks for touch or goal kicks and who has poor defence on the line also the #14 who comes of his wing because he doubts the #12s tackling abilities and let’s in 2 tries on the wing against joeys by the other winger simply running around him. for the clash against joeys rugby .4 Scot’s teams in the whole rugby program at Scot’s won against joeys I don’t know what there doing at that school but something needs to change and especially in the 1sts as you have players who played positions when they were in year 10 and in the first xv then suddenly getting changed after new coaching staff and look where that’s got them.

Rugbynbeers

Darby Loudon (17)
My review of Year 10 student (Class of 2026) Players that have been playing in the 1st XV this season

Kings- 2026 is definitely going to be there year.
Talen Risati- Has fit right in to the fullback position and has been one of kings best players this season. He is great on his feet and is an outstanding kicker. I was at the Scots vs Kings game in round 1 and it was heart breaking to see him miss the kick to win it. It must be hard being a 16 year old and having 2000 people watching you kick a goal from the sideline with a whole school screaming at you. He will get used to the pressure and will be one of the top prospects in the next few years.

Hasani Bloomfield - Been an outstanding addition to this Kings side and is a great prop. From my view he is a dominant scrummager and a very good ball carrier.

Toby Davies- Looks to be a great 7 and is very good over the ball. Did well against Scots tackling the big fellas. What worries me is his size and ability to do what a traditional #7 would do and believe kings is lacking that. With a Cleverly or Le maitre or even Dempsey Kings could be a top side.

Scots -
They seem to only have Ashton Large who has had a chance in the opens. Would love to see him come into the backline if scot’s continue to struggle and it is going to be good see him and his brother be in the same team next year!

Riverview
Isaac Perkins
- Watched him through the trial period and it seemed like he struggled to get involved. Haven’t seen him during GPS season yet so unsure of his whereabouts. Would like to hear if he’s injured or if he got dropped.

Shore -
Nick Wendt - Heard rumours that he was playing on the wing for the 1sts this year but haven’t seen him yet. Saw someone on the forum write a few weeks ago that he has a wrist injury. If anyone knows anything on his expected return I would love to know!

Newington
iliyaz Viliamu and Isiah Sheck -
Both outstanding props and this age group seems to have a strength in props with these 2 and Hasani. It’s not often we see 16 year old props in the opens let alone 3. Isiah has been coming of the bench for the past few weeks and has been making an impact. Saw on Streamer that Iliyaz hurt himself in a scrum vs Kings so unsure of his expected return but he was looking promising.

ollie smith the TKS. Hooker is also 16 from my understanding, however he may be a year 11 boy underage.

Rugbynbeers

Darby Loudon (17)
Couldn't agree more RNC,

I know last year Riverview's successful side (going 7 from 10) had the motto 'built not bought'.
I really think it takes away from the authenticity and fairness of the game.
Maybe it's time the other GPS schools took a leaf out of the Jesuit's book.

Wilty

post won’t last long, that’s for sure.

hoping this topic doesn’t re-surface as last year on the forum it came quite racially motivated as well.

TheMaulester

Ted Fahey (11)
Many weeks back on this forum we were discussing the potential for St Augustine's to replace Newington in the AAGPS because Newington is becoming co-ed (obviously that was half-hearted and just theoretical/an idea - not serious about that happening), but on the AAGPS fixtures for some reason Barker and Marist College Canberra have been listed there for a game this afternoon. Obviously that is just a slip up from someone but saw that on the fixtures and it reminded me of prior conversations here.

Status
Not open for further replies.