• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

New Zealand vs France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Yes we understand that Rassie, but I'm afraid if you hadn't noticed that referees in Super XV have moved from FK to PK for simple early engages after the first one then you haven't been paying attention. It has been a talking point all year.

I can't find anything official on it, but here is one of the SA Referees video clips which explains it:
http://www.sareferees.com/laws/view/2830050/

It has nothing to do with a charge and everything to do with a policy decision.
But in the laws early engagement have always been a free kick!

(g)The referee will call “crouch” then “bind”. The front rows crouch and using their outside arm each prop must bind. A loose head prop must bind on the opposing tight head prop by placing the left arm inside the right arm of the tight head and gripping the tight head prop’s jersey on the back or side. A tight head prop must bind on the opposing loose head prop by placing the right arm outside the left upper arm of the opposing loose head prop and gripping the loose head prop’s jersey with the right hand only on the back or side. The props must not grip the opponent’s chest, arm, sleeve, or collar. Following a pause the referee will then call “set” when the front rows are ready. The front rows may
then engage. The “set” call is not a command but an indication that the front rows may come together when ready.
Sanction: Free Kick

And Charging have always been a penalty

(i) Charging. A front row must not form at a distance from its opponents and rush against them or pull them.
Sanction: Penalty kick

But its not a order or rule change. They just applied law 10.3 with repeated infringements which is a penalty kick.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I don't think you even bother to read my posts or the link I included, which is disappointing. Last try.

There was a specific directive to SANZAR referees in the Super 15 to deem a second early engagement as repeated infringing. Such a directive was not issued by the IRB but by SANZAR. In general it is up to the referee to determine repeated infringing, but Super XV refs were specifically told that after one early engage it would be considered intentional and/or repeated and should be a PK not a FK. Before this season, referees in Super XV had to use their discretion to determine this issue but not anymore. This was a pretty big discussion point in the early rounds and I am surprised you missed it.

Hence Dan54's question about why one team in the NZ v France game were awarded FK's 3 times for early engaging. Barnes wasn't operating under that directive and so did not choose to go down that route. He could have, and perhaps should have awarded a PK on the third occasion.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I'm just happy to see that Mr Barnes was able to leave NZ intact. :)

Unchanged Run on team. 3 changes on the bench.

New Zealand: Israel Dagg, Ben Smith, Conrad Smith, Ma'a Nonu, Julian Savea, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Kieran Read (captain), Sam Cane, Liam Messam, Brodie Retallick, Luke Romano, Owen Franks, Dane Coles, Wyatt Crockett. Reserves: Andrew Hore, Tony Woodcock, Ben Franks, Jeremy Thrush, Victor Vito, Piri Weepu, Beauden Barrett, Rene Ranger.

- See more at: http://www.courierislander.com/spor...hanges-on-bench-1.319693#sthash.Il7TLV9o.dpuf

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think Hansen is desperately trying to get Dagg into form before The Rugby Championship.

Whilst I'm sure he (along with everyone else) would be thinking that Smith at fullback and Ranger on the wing provides a more threatening back three in the immediate future, Dagg in form at fullback is a more threatening option than Smith in form.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I'm just happy to see that Mr Barnes was able to leave NZ intact. :)

On a slightly lighter note, I'll bet when Barnes went over a tape of the game he paused and gave a silent thanks to god that the Frenchman dropped the ball with the line in sight. Had he caught the ball and France gone on to win, Barnes would have had to endure 6 more years of replays of the forward pass the pass before the drop. :oops:

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I think Hansen is desperately trying to get Dagg into form before The Rugby Championship.

Whilst I'm sure he (along with everyone else) would be thinking that Smith at fullback and Ranger on the wing provides a more threatening back three in the immediate future, Dagg in form at fullback is a more threatening option than Smith in form.
Hell Braveheart, I thought the way Dagg defused the high bombs, and the number the French put up his selection is a no brainer.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Geez, a bit of a worry with Retallic having to pull out of training with Hammy prob, are we going vto see Thrush starting??

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Nonu, kicks down there for territory, then kicks for a try. Who needs a first five?

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
That's one expensive water boy.

And Wyat Crockett concedes the first of his customary 3 scrum penalties a match

Status
Not open for further replies.