• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

New Zealand vs France

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Can someone enlighten me?? Is the rule that you only one short arm penalty for early engagment a S15 rule only. French had 3 shortarms for early engagment, and no penalty.
All in all typical first up test, both teams a bit scratchy!!

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Just started watching this, and I've already seen what will probably be my favourite moment of all of these June tests: Dane Coles during the NZ national anthem, wow. That's what international sport is all about, that emotion and passion from a young bloke finally playing his first home test match.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
Just started watching this, and I've already seen what will probably be my favourite moment of all of these June tests: Dane Coles during the NZ national anthem, wow. That's what international sport is all about, that emotion and passion from a young bloke finally playing his first home test match.

I'd prefer a bit less passion and a bit more throwing-practice. But you're right, he seems like a good guy.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
A honorable mention must go to Japan who lost narrowly to Wales or what was left over to Wales. Also to Samoa beating Scotland for the first time.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Can someone enlighten me?? Is the rule that you only one short arm penalty for early engagment a S15 rule only. French had 3 shortarms for early engagment, and no penalty.
All in all typical first up test, both teams a bit scratchy!!
Dan you have to look at the offense. Charging falls under foul play which is dangerous and it can only be a long arm penalty. Early engagement is when you do not listen to the Avengers assemble command when forming the scrum which is a short arm penalty.
So from what you described Barnes was correct

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Yep Rassie, just in S15 games this year after the first early engagment short arm the refs have moved to full arm penalties on all subssquent early engagements for that team, maybe a law variation used in S15 only.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Yep Rassie, just in S15 games this year after the first early engagment short arm the refs have moved to full arm penalties on all subssquent early engagements for that team, maybe a law variation used in S15 only.
All depends if he sees it as charging or early engagement.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
All depends if he sees it as charging or early engagement.

Not really. Dan54 is right, there was a direction this year from SANZAR that for an early engage the first offence is a free kick, but any subsequent ones are penalties as they are to be considered deliberate (ie foul play under deliberate infringing law). Personally, I don't like it being so set in stone. It depends on whether they are trying to jump the call or are just a bit unsteady on their feet. If the latter, I would prefer another chance rather than straight into penalties.

I don't think there has been any such direction from the IRB, so Barnes was right. If there were 3 early engages against France, I would expect that any more would have been a penalty.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Not really. Dan54 is right, there was a direction this year from SANZAR that for an early engage the first offence is a free kick, but any subsequent ones are penalties as they are to be considered deliberate (ie foul play under deliberate infringing law). Personally, I don't like it being so set in stone. It depends on whether they are trying to jump the call or are just a bit unsteady on their feet. If the latter, I would prefer another chance rather than straight into penalties.

I don't think there has been any such direction from the IRB, so Barnes was right. If there were 3 early engages against France, I would expect that any more would have been a penalty.
Can you show me the directions because charging is foul play and its dangerous.

Again you get early engagements and charging. One is a penalty offense and other a free kick. You seem to mention two different types of law transgressions as one.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Can you show me the directions because charging is foul play and its dangerous.

Again you get early engagements and charging. One is a penalty offense and other a free kick. You seem to mention two different types of law transgressions as one.

Yes we understand that Rassie, but I'm afraid if you hadn't noticed that referees in Super XV have moved from FK to PK for simple early engages after the first one then you haven't been paying attention. It has been a talking point all year.

I can't find anything official on it, but here is one of the SA Referees video clips which explains it:
http://www.sareferees.com/laws/view/2830050/

It has nothing to do with a charge and everything to do with a policy decision.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
France lost, NZ won?
To read some of the kiwi press you might think so! Well, the half that aren't Hansen fanbois at least, theres a bit of that going round. You know some days I wonder if Hansen's real PD isn't actually media manager, and there is some rugby genius midget lurking behind the scenes doing the actual head coaching.

Seriously though, ABs won but it could have gone wrong, Frogs played well and had a shot at some serious history. We all want to be that team!

Status
Not open for further replies.