• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I reckon Manly at full strength would put other NRC teams under the pump - i.e. final against Sydney Uni (with their Super Stars / Coves) last year. I cant wait to see some players step up and get a real chance to show their wares.

Do you know if you guys are getting access to Pat Leafa this season?

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
I think if you do the maths some club, S15 and Wallaby players will be assigned to NRC teams that have no relationship to the club teams they currently play for. If not, some of the teams (eg the country teams) won't be competitive. I would hope that whoever does the allocation of players at least tries to come up with a balanced competition. Frankly I'm not that worried about how or where the Wallaby players are allocated as it's unlikely they will play much if at all.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
As for the make-up of the teams/squads I suppose it depends on what we want out of it. Is it a competition where winning it is the most important thing and gives some bragging rights. If so then the make-up of teams would be those already identified, tried and experienced grade players. the late 20's to 30 year olds.

If the competition is to develop players to step up in future to Super and Test level then some thought must be given to selecting a fair sample of 21-25 year olds in your squad and relying on the returning Super players to give experience and mentor these players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the fact that the EPS players will be likely to get starting spots in this comp will mean that a fair portion of the players are young to begin with.

It is likely that some of the club only players who get a run will also be young.

I doubt there'll be a need to specifically pick young players. I think there'll be plenty of them in the teams regardless.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Just an anti-Uni. rant, then.

Carry on.
Thought I posted this but can't find it.
It is quite clear that people don't want the Sydney Stars to have Folau, and see that he would provide better value to the west.
Pretty sure there is even more resentment with the way Mortimer came across in the media today. It was not good.

The investment in Folau - can anyone say what it is?
Uni, a team in the Shute Shield made that investment - not Sydney Stars.

Now all that being said, is there a starting Uni player currently player for the Wallabies? Media and Mortimer definitely stirred the pot this morning, having thought about it maybe Izzy at the stars, KB (Kurtley Beale), TPN, at the Rams.
As much as we can all hate Uni, they have lifted the game IMO.

I don't know Mortimer, and often doubtful of the media - but he caused a lot of haters this morning. Let's hope Uni are taken down on the paddock this year.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As anyone following the Rams will know already - I have offered to scrum everyone for the right. They can sell tickets and donate that in addition to my payment.

I feel a costume is in order once I start attending games.

images

I will be the High Wizard of Rugby.
I see you more like this "High" Wizard.
high wizard.jpg

T

TOCC

Wallabies will be playing in the Rugby Championship and then the Spring Tour which is running at the same time as the NRC..

NRC Dates will be from the 30th August - 8 Nov running for 11 weeks, Wallabies kick off the Rugby Championship on the 16th August and play their last Bledisloe match again New Zealand on the 18th October. The first Spring Tour match is likely to be on the weekend of the 1st of November.

There are 3 Bye rounds through the Rugby Championship, but given injury tolls and player fatigue, Ewen isn't going to release first choice players to the NRC. I'd suspect that the match day 22 will be completely isolated unless some players on the bench aren't getting much game time.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Well it's a bit like suggesting Brian O'Driscoll for the NRC isn't it?
No Brian has hung up his boots, and hasnt played here.
Benji, do we really know what he's doing post super?
My tip is he may target the Olympic sevens.
but putting the thought out there never hurts as I think there would be a lot of people keen to see him, and he'd be a playing marquee player.

And any way all I said was intuitive thinking, and I like the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.