• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Battalion

Allen Oxlade (6)
Ewen isn't going to release first choice players to the NRC. I'd suspect that the match day 22 will be completely isolated unless some players on the bench aren't getting much game time.

will agree to disagree on fta. still think fta-foxtel hybrid has to be where rugby needs to be long term. would love to see a trade off study on a suite of options.

that said. i think you might be onto something with the benched players. damn right give benched wallabies some game time. maybe move a few nrc games to sundays. saturday - wallabies fixture. sunday - nrc fixtures

could also look into nrc-wallaby double headers also.
perth v north harbour rays ;) wobs v boks.
queensland country v brisbane city, wobs v pumas
and yes first game would be foxtel. second game fta. o_O

to green and gold rugby. when can we get some 'proudly supporting nrc team' up?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
There's was a bit of a rumour that SJK no longer sees Marshall as the solution for the Blues and they may mutually part ways, with Benji seeking a gig elsewhere (possibly France).

Caputo

Ted Thorn (20)
I did my break up differently with the Brumby contingent being 10 forwards and 6 backs. I believe there will be 10 Brumbies in Wallaby 30. I may be accused of warehousing but the aim was to keep younger players to develop.
My squad for Canberra Vikings could look something like this

Scott Sio
Allan Ala'alatoa
JP Smith
JP Praudad
Silivia Silivia
Josh Mann-Rea
Karl Elliot
Sam Carter
Jack Whetton or Leon Power
Tom Staniforth
Dave McKern
Jarrad Butler
Jordan Smiler
Ben Mowen or Lochie McCaffrey depending on Mowen's ARU
Tim Cree
Michael Smith
Rohan Perry
Conrad Hoffman
Michael Dowsett
Christian Lealifano
Lionel Cronje or Stefan Van der Walt
Rod Iona
Matt Hawke
Andrew Smith
Andrew Robinson
Robbie Coleman
Ben Johnson
Jason Tomane
Mitch Connolly
Jerome Nuimata

Brumbies contracted and EPS players in the pool
Ruan Smith
Ruaidhri Murphy
Leon Power or Jack Whetton
Fotu Auelua
Tom McVerry
Clyde Rathbone
Stefan Van der Walt or Lionel Cronjie
Lochie McCaffrey depending on Mowen release

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Caputo, a few issues with that potential squad........

While I still maintain that having a strict quota number will cause more issues, we still need to be sensible about what players stay in Canberra and who goes to Sydney to minimise relocation hassles........

I did my break up differently with the Brumby contingent being 10 forwards and 6 backs. I believe there will be 10 Brumbies in Wallaby 30. I may be accused of warehousing but the aim was to keep younger players to develop.
My squad for Canberra Vikings could look something like this

Scott Sio - on current form will be in the Wallaby squad
Allan Ala'alatoa - Came from Norths in Sydney, and before that was at West Harbour. Could easily go play for the Rays, Rams or even NSW Country
JP Smith
JP Praudad
Silivia Silivia
Josh Mann-Rea - played for NSW Country against Lions
Karl Elliot
Sam Carter
Jack Whetton or Leon Power - both have relocated from overseas so they should stay in Canberra
Tom Staniforth
Dave McKern
Jarrad Butler
Jordan Smiler
Ben Mowen or Lochie McCaffrey depending on Mowen's ARU - regardless of Mowen's status McCaffrey is from Sydney
Tim Cree
Michael Smith
Rohan Perry
Conrad Hoffman
Michael Dowsett - Another EPS player from Norths in Sydney
Christian Lealifano - Wallabies
Lionel Cronje or Stefan Van der Walt - again, both have relocated from overseas
Rod Iona
Matt Hawke
Andrew Smith - another Norths man from Sydney
Andrew Robinson
Robbie Coleman
Ben Johnson
Jason Tomane
Mitch Connolly
Jerome Nuimata

Brumbies contracted and EPS players in the pool
Ruan Smith - why split up the Smith twins?
Ruaidhri Murphy - heading back to Ireland
Leon Power or Jack Whetton - see above
Fotu Auelua
Tom McVerry
Clyde Rathbone - Has been a Canberra resident since relocating from South Africa all those years ago
Stefan Van der Walt or Lionel Cronjie - see above
Lochie McCaffrey depending on Mowen release

That's why my 16 would be:

S Siliva
JP Smith
R Smith
S Carter
L Power
J Whetton
J Smiler
J Butler
F Auelua/Mowen
C Hoffman
L Cronje
Tatekawa
Rathbone
Coleman
Van Der Walt
Mogg (or whoever is the next best player not to make the Wallabies eg. Sio, McCabe, etc)

Also, when you consider injuries the Super Rugby talent could be thinned out even further........

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
as others above have alluded to, i think the biggest problem facing the NRC is how to share out the talent, especially the contracted players in melbourne and perth. it might (probably will) get very messy.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
So Dwyer and Poidevin have begun the destabilization of the east/country/Randwick venture by announcing their intention to go it alone in due course.
Something about throwing the toys out of the cot
This confirms my fear that Randwick would attempt to put their interests first and undermine the Country franchise with the intention to take it over eventually. I repeat it will be the same as the North Sydney/Manly abortion that was the Northern Eagles in league

T

TOCC

From memory Randwick was a key player in the destabilisation of the ARC as well, I tend to remember that one of their board members(a former wallaby) was a very vocal opponent of the competition.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So Dwyer and Poidevin have begun the destabilization of the east/country/Randwick venture by announcing their intention to go it alone in due course.

In the end it's a strange alliance.......

To the rugby outsider it's going to be confusing trying to understand what NSW Country has to do with Sydney city's eastern suburbs......... o_O

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)

Where has this been read?

In the end it's a strange alliance...

To the rugby outsider it's going to be confusing trying to understand what NSW Country has to do with Sydney city's eastern suburbs... o_O

Country boarders at schools maybe?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Only boarding school in the East is Scots.

New has a boarding house but by all accounts it is very small, and Stanmore is not all that "East".

Plenty of Country boys board at Kings, Joeys and View.

These are not in Sydney's East.

T

TOCC

So why all the bumping of gums and gnashing of teeth about Folau?

Marketing.....
Izzy and KB (Kurtley Beale) might never play a game but the team will be unlikely to concede that straight up, thus having them on posters, TV and newspapers in the jersey of the team, even as an ambassador at PR events to drum up more media attention will help with the overall exposure of the team.... Exposure also flows over to sponsorship as well..

It's exactly how they should be used as well, the tournament on its own will drum up very little media interest, leveraging the wallaby stars of the game for publicity is an absolutely necessity.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Marketing...
Izzy and KB (Kurtley Beale) might never play a game but the team will be unlikely to concede that straight up, thus having them on posters, TV and newspapers in the jersey of the team, even as an ambassador at PR events to drum up more media attention will help with the overall exposure of the team.. Exposure also flows over to sponsorship as well..

It's exactly how they should be used as well, the tournament on its own will drum up very little media interest, leveraging the wallaby stars of the game for publicity is an absolutely necessity.

Well, yes, that's pretty obvious. However, I really doubt whether the potential publicity would be conditioned much by which teams they play for (although of course they should be playing for the Mighty Rams!)

Sponsorship might be a different story, but again, I doubt that any major sponsors will be too interested in individual teams, frankly.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Well, yes, that's pretty obvious. However, I really doubt whether the potential publicity would be conditioned much by which teams they play for (although of course they should be playing for the Mighty Rams!)

Sponsorship might be a different story, but again, I doubt that any major sponsors will be too interested in individual teams, frankly.

I cant believe I'm saying this, and yes i do know Izzy is from out west. But i can see reasons for Izzy to be aligned to the Stars, but, that would be there one and only star. Maybe Dave Dennis, KB (Kurtley Beale) TPN are the wobs players aligned to the Rams.

As i said, cant believe I'm saying it - so expect a few upper cuts;). But just remember he possibly wont play a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.