• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
No that's entirely the point.
The new comp is announced,and the biggest story around it,is a club bitching and moaning about something that's never going to happen.
Edit: on what basis is he 'their' player?
Registering for them,knowing he will never play for them,doesn't entitle them to anything.

T

Train Without a Station

And that is why the ARU and NSWRU should never have allowed him to nominate Uni.

Surely anything they offered cannot be what brought him to rugby and the ARU and NSWRU should have had the foresight to consider factors like this (in fact it was mentioned regarding generally spreading rugby).

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
I want to see players pulling on the Jersey for the places they came from - for all the teams in the NRC. Especially Country. But I realise there are a stack of factors influencing who does what.
My other thought is that if it is a genuine third tier comp, I would like to have the slightly lesser known players being discussed. Greg Jeloudev and Tolu Latu from Uni as an example. But what about Jared (the Hitman) Barry from Eastwood, the brothers at 11 and 15 for the Emus, and others of third tier capacity?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The point is that if Uni have a significant financial stake in Izzy, they should have some say in how he is used.

While the details of Izzy's actual financial arrangements are probably only known to his manager, and the Tax Office, have we stumbled onto a salary cap circumventing "ground rental" scenario.

I am all for using Izzy to grow the game in the West, but the Tin Foil Hat says that there may be other reasons for his registration at Uni. I think I read somewhere that he is actually studying at Sydney Uni so that would be a start.

Should Uni be congratulated for their part in bringing him to the game, and then condemned for wanting their slice of the action, or just condemned outright for everything they do and represent?

It is more than just money, because I understand that, way back when, the Mighty Two Blues had assembled a fairly substantial package to entice him to register with them in the full knowledge that he would not play anymore than one of two games at Merrylands RSL Park.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
“Israel chose to come to the club two years ago, and to have him dispatched to another club who have not paid any attention to him, is very much the wrong thing to do. Same with all the players."

I'm just amused by this ridiculous statement from Sydney Uni.......

No other club paid any attention to Izzy?

Really?

Just Uni?

Reeeeaaaaaallllllllly........?

couldabeen

Alfred Walker (16)
HJ you are right about financial interest and personal choice. I am for the free market. But I cannot help wishing For the sake of the game that Israel and Kurtley were wearing Penrith Jerseys in the promo photos. Aspirational encouragement.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Fuck off Uni.
There is zero chance of Izzy playing one minute in this new comp.
Complain about something that is likely to happen,or even something that might possibly happen.
Complaining about this,is just being a nob.

To be consistent do you
-Tell Randwick to "fuck off" because of KB (Kurtley Beale), etc.?
-Tell Eastwood to "fuck off" because of Benn Robinson?
-Tell Parramatte to "fuck off" because of TPN?
-etc.

Or is this an anti-Uni. rant?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Sydney Uni
For the Shute Shield he is aligned to Sydney University Football Club - after all i thought it was quite clearly advised at the time - he received no payment, but offered a scholarship named after him.
Or was / is there another form of Investment that was made?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
To be consistent do you
-Tell Randwick to "fuck off" because of KB (Kurtley Beale), etc.?
-Tell Eastwood to "fuck off" because of Benn Robinson?
-Tell Parramatte to "fuck off" because of TPN?
-etc.

Or is this an anti-Uni. rant?
If Randwick bleated about KB (Kurtley Beale) not playing for them in the NRC,then yeah.
But they didn't.
Benn R & TPN have actually played for their clubs over a number of years.
Surely you can understand the difference?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
@boyo, TPN is born, and bred Granville. Granville Boys High School, CHS representative and all that.

His blood is two shades of blue.

I would not lump him in with others who have used "glamour", wealthy or influential clubs, or are being used by "glamour", wealthy or influential clubs, to opportunistically advance their rugby profile.

Edit:
Pretty sure that Fat Cat is a former Dural Junior. Outer suburbs of the Eastwood catchment area, but still a born and bred Woodie, with all his junior rep footie being played for the Woodies.

K Beale, I Folau, B Barnes, T Grey et al on the other hand.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The logical thing to do is just trot Israel Folau out at both Rams and Stars games in the respective uniform.

We may as well leverage off our highest profile player as much as possible!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
HJ you are right about financial interest and personal choice. I am for the free market. But I cannot help wishing For the sake of the game that Israel and Kurtley were wearing Penrith Jerseys in the promo photos. Aspirational encouragement.

Dave Dennis is a Windsor/Richmond boy. Chuck him in the Emus colours as well.

It is not just all PI's and non-Caucasians out west.

T

TOCC

I understand where Sydney Uni is coming from, however the arrangement they made with Izzy was prior to the formation of the NRC, he was signed to represent Sydney Uni which he can still do at Shute Shield level, but the NRC is a level above that competition and thus it's a separate issue.

This is one of those moments were self-interest needs to be out aside and people concede that maybe there are bigger forces at play..

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
From the same story:
“The Western Rams already have four (sic) sides. They have Eastwood, who was in the Grand Final last year, they have West Harbour, who are a serious club, and a few minnows."

So David Mortimer refers to Parramatta, Penrith and Southern Districts all as "minnows". Nice. If in his eyes, these teams are minnows, what does that make Sydney Uni's consortium partner in the NRC?

Link to full article:
http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/b...nd-kurtley-beale/story-e6frf4pu-1226864775556

Badger

Bill McLean (32)
Dave Dennis is a Windsor/Richmond boy. Chuck him in the Emus colours as well.

HJ, Maybe one day.
Dennis understands why he gets raised eyebrows on the issue of rugby in the west, having left Penrith to play for Sydney Uni. He envisions a return the Emus one day, probably as a coach.

"To be honest, I would love to be running out as captain of the Waratahs with the club Penrith next to my name. But I had no access," Dennis said.

"I am grateful to Penrith for showing me the game, and I'd imagine there's a part of them that would be bitter I left. But for me I had to, to develop my game. That's the issue I am talking about, I don't want that for other kids out here.

Source:
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...suburbs-of-sydney/story-fn8t7efs-122660278629

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Does anyone else have a problem with the Sydney clubs (many of which are financially suspect) having to fund the Sydney based NRC teams (including a gratuitous payment to the ARU to help them with their financial predicament) whereas all other teams are funded by the ARU/State Franchises. Seems a bit inequitable to me.

In return, the Sydney clubs, after allocation of players from the Super 15 teams etc into the NRC teams may be lucky to get a couple of players from their shute shield team getting a run. Seem like an ordinary investment to me.

T

Train Without a Station

No. They were the ones that had an issue with the previous arrangement. They wanted to be stakeholders in this. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Don't these same clubs already received $65,000 also from the ARU anyway?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Does anyone else have a problem with the Sydney clubs (many of which are financially suspect) having to fund the Sydney based NRC teams (including a gratuitous payment to the ARU to help them with their financial predicament) whereas all other teams are funded by the ARU/State Franchises. Seems a bit inequitable to me.

In return, the Sydney clubs, after allocation of players from the Super 15 teams etc into the NRC teams may be lucky to get a couple of players from their shute shield team getting a run. Seem like an ordinary investment to me.

I reckon Manly at full strength would put other NRC teams under the pump - i.e. final against Sydney Uni (with their Super Stars / Coves) last year. I cant wait to see some players step up and get a real chance to show their wares.

Status
Not open for further replies.