• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

National Rugby Championship 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I cant believe I'm saying this, and yes i do know Izzy is from out west. But i can see reasons for Izzy to be aligned to the Stars, but, that would be there one and only star. Maybe Dave Dennis, KB (Kurtley Beale) TPN are the wobs players aligned to the Rams.

As i said, cant believe I'm saying it - so expect a few upper cuts;). But just remember he possibly wont play a game.
I can't believe you are saying this either.
It's fair enough for Uni to claim Dennis,he has played for them,and only them.
But no Club has dibs on KB (Kurtley Beale) or IF, the ARU should align them with franchises where their profiles will be leveraged the best.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I can't believe you are saying this either.
It's fair enough for Uni to claim Dennis,he has played for them,and only them.
But no Club has dibs on KB (Kurtley Beale) or IF, the ARU should align them with franchises where their profiles will be leveraged the best.

That makes 2 of us, IF will probably not play - somebody wanted to put their house on it.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Where has this been read?

Country boarders at schools maybe?
SMH.

Only boarding school in the East is Scots.

New has a boarding house but by all accounts it is very small, and Stanmore is not all that "East".

Plenty of Country boys board at Kings, Joeys and View.

These are not in Sydney's East.
Cranbrook. Waverkey - but they all go to the wicks.
TKS used to have a lot of blokes at colleagues and a few at easts.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I did my break up differently with the Brumby contingent being 10 forwards and 6 backs. I believe there will be 10 Brumbies in Wallaby 30. I may be accused of warehousing but the aim was to keep younger players to develop.
My squad for Canberra Vikings could look something like this

Scott Sio
Allan Ala'alatoa
JP Smith
JP Praudad
Silivia Silivia
Josh Mann-Rea
Karl Elliot
Sam Carter
Jack Whetton or Leon Power
Tom Staniforth
Dave McKern
Jarrad Butler
Jordan Smiler
Ben Mowen or Lochie McCaffrey depending on Mowen's ARU
Tim Cree
Michael Smith
Rohan Perry
Conrad Hoffman
Michael Dowsett
Christian Lealifano
Lionel Cronje or Stefan Van der Walt
Rod Iona
Matt Hawke
Andrew Smith
Andrew Robinson
Robbie Coleman
Ben Johnson
Jason Tomane
Mitch Connolly
Jerome Nuimata

Brumbies contracted and EPS players in the pool
Ruan Smith
Ruaidhri Murphy
Leon Power or Jack Whetton
Fotu Auelua
Tom McVerry
Clyde Rathbone
Stefan Van der Walt or Lionel Cronjie
Lochie McCaffrey depending on Mowen release

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I see the ARU directing some of these Brumbies players back to their origins, like Qld Country, NSW Country etc.
You cannot expect NSW to carry four teams in the NRC drawing solely from the Waratahs S15 group.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Izzy Folau and Kurtley Beale have chosen their SS club, therefore it makes them aligned with the NRC team associated with their club team e.g. Uni - Sydney Stars and Randwick - NSW Country. The ARU cannot make them change teams or force them to align with another team unless the player is willing to agree.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Interesting comment from @Baxxter on the NSW Country <whatevers> NRC thread that NSW Country Rugby is not an active participant in the NRC consortium called "NSW Country", although they do support what the consortium is trying to achieve in promoting rugby outside the metro region, and maximising the selection of country origin players on their roster.

With a loose association (or shotgun wedding) between them, Randwick and Easts, neither of which have too many Super Rugby players to bring to the party, it would appear that this Consortium will rely quite heavily on the ARU "divvy up" of players and the emotional pleas to Country origin people in various teams around the place to fill their roster.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Izzy Folau and Kurtley Beale have chosen their SS club, therefore it makes them aligned with the NRC team associated with their club team e.g. Uni - Sydney Stars and Randwick - NSW Country. The ARU cannot make them change teams or force them to align with another team unless the player is willing to agree.

Each to there own, Nth Harbor's looking good - we'll have Hoops, Cliffy, and any other that climbs the lofty heights.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
In the end it's a strange alliance...

To the rugby outsider it's going to be confusing trying to understand what NSW Country has to do with Sydney city's eastern suburbs... o_O

I think that there's a couple things that we can infer from the competition structure. The fact that there are 9 teams and no team located in the South Eastern suburbs and the fact that Randwick and Easts seem to have been hastily lumped in with NSW country indicates to me:

Had Randwick, Easts and Souths been mature enough to come to the same arrangement as Manly, Norths, Gordon & Warringah and Eastwood, Parramatta, Penrith and Wests have done then the would have been 10 teams. The country team would probably have been based in Newcastle or possibly even Adelaide (Adelaide had factored NSW country into their bid) and the SE Sydney team would have comprised Randwick, Easts and Souths.

On the available evidence, it would seem that Randwick has a desire to dominate any JV and make the other 2 clubs very much silent, minor partners in a team that was going to play in green jumpers and at Coogee Oval. I'm not saying for a moment that the other 2 clubs were blameless, but it seems that the ambition of 1 club was a major factor.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I don't think this is the case. Hasn't it been announced Wallabies/Super Rugby players will be distributed between the teams on a quota basis?

Some players are going to end up at teams outside of where they would ordinarily be aligned otherwise there'll be teams with barely any Super Rugby players and teams that have too many.

This competition will fail to meet one of its core objectives if there are Super Rugby contracted players who can't get on the field.

For instance, Jack Debresczeni should return to Sydney (and probably move back home) for the NRC because Hegarty will presumably be the starting 10 for the Melbourne Rising team. EPS players should absolutely be put somewhere where they will get lots of game time in the NRC.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sorry to rain on your parade, but I see the ARU directing some of these Brumbies players back to their origins, like Qld Country, NSW Country etc.
You cannot expect NSW to carry four teams in the NRC drawing solely from the Waratahs S15 group.

To be fair, most of those players Caputo listed are local Canberra players......

However, I think he's incorrectly selected some players to stay/go.........

According to the Crimes they will be able to keep 16 Super Rugby players not involved with the Wallabies....... obviously they will want to hang onto the best possible team while also ensuring there's no burden placed on relocating players......

The players I would identify as possibly returning to Sydney teams would include Mann-Rea (NSW Country), Ala'alatoa (Rams/Rays - can't remember which was his last club?), McCaffrey (Rams), Andrew Smith (Rays), Smiler (Rays), Dowsett (Rays)..........

A player like Butler may also return to Qld Country, however he's now linked with Vikings at a club level and would probably be one of the 16 players selected by Canberra.......

If Mowen has to hang around and play the NRC I would expect the Vikings to include (slightly edited from the previous page):

S Siliva
JP Smith
R Smith
S Carter
L Power
J Whetton
J Butler
F Auelua
Mowen
C Hoffman
L Cronje
Tatekawa
Rathbone
Coleman
Van Der Walt
Mogg (or whoever is the next best player not to make the Wallabies eg. Sio, McCabe, etc)

At this stage there will be fewer players from the Force and Rebels in the Wallabies squad so they'll be supplying more players to the Sydney teams than the Brumbies.........

Having a look at the Tahs it would seem they'll be supplying somewhere between 4 - 7 players to every Sydney team (you can guess which team will get the most)..........

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Over in the Clubs forum Intruder has been putting up some good hypotheticals:

RAYS
1. Eddie Aholelei (Manly - Rebels)
2. Luke Holmes (Warringah)
3. Salesi Manu (Warringah - Force)
4. Greg Peterson (Manly)
5. Rory Walton (Norths - Force)
6. Caydern Neville (Manly - Rebels)
7. Jordy Reid (Manly - Rebels)
8. Jordan Smiler (Norths - ACT)
9. Josh Holmes (Warringah)
10. Zac Holmes (Norths - Perth)
11. Cameron Crawford (Norths)
12. Lalakai Foketi (Manly - Rebels)
13. Chris Tuatara Morrison (Norths - Perth)
14. ?
15. Hamish Angus (Warringah)

But replace Josh Holmes with either Matt Lucas or Michael Dowsett..........

RAMS

1. Tetra Faulkner (Souths - Perth)
2. Hugh Roach (Eastwood)
3. Allan Alallaatoa (Wests - ACT)
4. Jarred Barry (Eastwood)
5. Adam Coleman (Parramatta - Perth)
6. Lachlan McCaffrey (Eastwood - ACT)
7. Chris Alcock (Eastwood - Perth)
8. Jed Holloway (Souths - Country)
9. Mick Snowden (Eastwood -Country)
10. Jack Debrazieni (Wests - Rebels)
11. Alofa Alofa (Wests)
12. Rory Sidey (Wests)
13. Rob Horne (Souths)
14. Lachie Turner (Eastwood - Reds)

15. Ben Volavola (Souths)

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Actually they can. Pulver explained they have full power to do so.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)

I agree but how do you pay the cost of relocation thats the issue Canberra's not too bad but WA wow.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think there will be a fairly big turn over of players from WA at the end of the season. Will they stay around for the NRC- who knows?

I think there will be at least 6 from the main squad and I am not sure what Ebersohn, Mathewson and Hayward have in mind. Take injuries, Wallaby reps and players released and you probably only have about 20 players left.

I don't know what the rules are around players opting out of the NRC if they have played the full Super Rugby season (e.g. Hodgson, Longbottom). But I am pretty sure Foley said the Force were considering it.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I agree but how do you pay the cost of relocation thats the issue Canberra's not too bad but WA wow.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Also, they have a lot of guys who have come from overseas, in particular South Africa who will not want to move to Sydney for a few months..........

There's going to have to be some compromises along the way........

As long as it's done right it should be OK, but there really shouldn't be any forced relocations...........

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rugby HQ stated tonight NSW Country will have games taken to NSW Country areas. This is good news as I thought it would all be out of Moore park.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Pulver gave absolutely zero clarity on player availability today. Well done.

They're in negotiations with RUPA.

I'm pretty sure the interview with Clark and Pulver was done on the day the NRC was announced.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.