• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels Players - where are they going?

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I'm perhaps slightly surprised there's not been another 3 or 4 European contracts, but other than that it doesn't really seem that contentious. The Japanese and American seasons are ages away: unless you were planning on going already I can imagine that neither of those groups would be keen to have you on the books until the season is much closer to actually starting.

At home, there's about half a dozen players with contracts still to be sorted: Dobbins, Kailea, Pincus and Ripley I think are the last of the locals to be sorted out, while Matty Proctor and Vaolini Ekuasi (who are playing for Wellington and Auckland in the NPC respectively) are still technically contracted as well to my knowledge.

A substantial number of the remaining Rebels players fit into journeyman, development, or extended squad positions at other sides: particularly looking at blokes like Jooste, Louwrens, Tuttle, Glen Vaihu, David Vaihu, Mason Gordon, Maiava, Hough, Strachan, Talataiana, Tuipulotu. There's very rarely a time when these players will be high priority signings unless there's specific gaps in your squad, or you genuinely believe one of these young guys is a gun: (see here, Brumbies signing of Tualima and Feliuai to cover the departures of Swain and Tua).

Which only really leaves the prop group (Talakai, Eloff, Pone) and Angelo Smith, all of whom you'd probably prefer stick around for tight 5 depth and development purposes, but presuming fitness of other players, potentially struggle to give a best 23 spot to: is that what blokes like Pone and Eloff want having played about half a dozen times between them being stuck behind the Gibbon-Kailea-Tupou-Talakai group all season?

Last edited:

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I did see that in Doran's column on The Roar, alongside Maiava, Kailea and Dobbins, but I'm keeping them all in the "not formally announced group" mentally for now.

As stated, he's probably 1 of the group of 4 for whom you would have expected to see "something" be happening for, and I'm glad it's the case.

Mr Pilfer

Dave Cowper (27)
I don’t understand why the force hasn’t picked up at least one of Eloff, Pone or Talekai yet. Any of them would be a welcome addition

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Could be trying... Eloff and Pone would have enough interest from other sides its probably with agents at the moment.

Talakai wouldn't surprise me to see land at NSW being a Sydney guy and always turning out for Syd Uni following Super Rugby every year. Don't know his post Rugby plans but 32 with a young family. If the opportunity presented on the East Coast it may be more appealing?

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I wonder if they'll look at Foote for one of the sevens jobs, given his background there. Certainly sounds like both the men's and women's roles will be up for grabs, assuming he's interested.

I'm not really sure about Stiles though, I generally like him but I think he bears a bit more responsibility for where things got to at the Rebels and might look like damaged goods in that GM role as a result. He'll probably have to drop down a level at least and demonstrate a bit of stability before he gets another crack at super Rugby level (or equivalent).

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah I'm not sure Stiles would be on the hit list for many pro sides right now. Having a senior role in an organisation that had such issues probably hurts for a while. The CEO landed on his feet though...

Feels like one of these times you move to a Japanese lower tier side or a Director of Rugby job at a School.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah I'm not sure Stiles would be on the hit list for many pro sides right now. Having a senior role in an organisation that had such issues probably hurts for a while. The CEO landed on his feet though...

Feels like one of these times you move to a Japanese lower tier side or a Director of Rugby job at a School.
School seems pretty likely - the GPS programs in Brisbane have been full of former Super Rugby bosses lately, I'm sure it's similar down in Sydney.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Sammy Talakai off to my mob: