• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels Players - where are they going?

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
He looked the goods. Granted the Toowoomba QRL team isn’t much chop! Unsure if the centres are his position because he got limited touches out on the flanks. Don’t think he is getting elevated to titans this year because of something about “top 30 and salary cap?”

PhilClinton

Tony Shaw (54)
Mason playing QPR this weekend (which he has always done in the past).

I’d be surprised if he signs with the Reds, they seem to have decent backs depth and still a couple of blokes who are potentially to re-sign.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Yeah, despite the selection for the Wales and Tonga games he doesn't seem too highly prioritized at the moment - only a couple of minutes against Wales and when O'Connor went off with an HIA in the first half against Tonga the y chose to run Campbell at 10 and bring on Aubrey at fullback for most of the game.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Rob Leota just confirmed for Tahs. McKellar picking up some real talent also talk of Mike Catt, Ireland's assistant coach joining Dan.

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Looks like Jake Strachan and Lukas Ripley have popped up over in the NPC. Strachan is off contract at the end of the year but Ripley still has a year left on his so should hopefully find a spot at one of the Australian super sides.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
Just read Divad Palu has signed with the Force. They are saying he's a great talent but I don't remember him at all but he is 20 and might not have played much apart from U20's.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
It never ceases to amaze how NSW can totally screw up just about everything it touches. The players they keep perform poorly and those they get rid of blossom. As the second largest feeder in the country they should be solid.

This is the Rebels squad listed at the start of this season. We know about several of them but there is still a number hanging around.

I'll update it as more information becomes available.

2024 Melbourne Rebels Squad

Front Row

Matt Gibbon - Reds

Cabous Eloff - Tahs rumour

Isaac Kailea Reds

Alex Mafi - Japan

Jordan Uelese - France

Ethan Dobbins

Pone Fa’amausili

Sam Talakai

Taniela Tupou - Tahs

Lock
Josh Canham - Reds

Luhkan Salakai-Loto - Reds

Angelo Smith

Tuaina Taii Tualima - Brumbies

Back Row
Vaiolini Ekuasi

Zac Hough

Josh Kemeny - England

Rob Leota - Waratahs

Daniel Maiava

Brad Wilkin

Halves
Ryan Louwrens

James Tuttle

Jack Maunder -France

Carter Gordon - NRL

Jake Strachan - Southland in NPC

Mason Gordon - training with Reds

Centres
David Feliuai - Brumbies

Lukas Ripley - Hawkes Bay NPC 2024

Matt Proctor

Nick Jooste

Lebron Naea

Divad Palu - The Force

David Vaihu

Filipo Daugunu - Reds

Back 3
Lachie Anderson - Reds

Andrew Kellaway - Tahs

Darby Lancaster - Tahs

Joe Pincus

Glen Vaihu
This is the current situation. Let me know if any errors....

Last edited:

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
David Feliuai was confirmed for the Brumbies last week: https://brumbies.rugby/news/brumbies-sign-david-feliuai-for-2025-super-rugby-pacific-tilt-2024730

Lukas Ripley still has an Australian Contract for 2025 but was named in the Hawke's Bay Squad for the 2024 NPC: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-b...lk-of-code-switch/T2GXILO4WZDTTPRULVG4J4ZBDM/

Other players of note not formally contracted are:

Leafi Talataina - Backrower - Nil Formal News - Seen Training on the Waratahs Socials
Ottavio Tuipulotu - Hooker - Nil Formal News - Rumoured to be joining older brothers in Scotland back in Feb/March

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
17 might be a lot but I expect the number to end up around 10 which is what I thought it would be a couple months ago. End of the day it was a 5 win 9 Loss team.

Of the squad not everyone is going to pick up a new deal which is normal at every side in the world. The guys that may have picked up the last spot on the roster are always unlikely to be renewed or signed elsewhere. Back to Club to go earn a shot elsewhere. plenty of Clubbies have had a stint in pro squads at some stage.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Lebron, David Vaihu (suspended), Daniel Maiava and Zac Hough all still down the kennel playing club rugby in Brisbane.

Zac made his 2024 debut this past weekend via reserve grade (scored a try) think he will factor into premier grade side this weekend.