• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Wallaby Man

Nev Cottrell (35)
The chance of a second NRL team in Melbourne in the foreseeable future is extremely unlikely, you’d have better chance of winning the lotto.

I think the indicators point to Perth, PNG and a 2nd NZ team. Central Coast, Adelaide and another QLD possible but highly unlikely.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
sheesh, if what is suggested is correct that that the money Victorian Rugby loaned to the Rebels was in fact grant funding intended for the Victorian Rugby Centre of Excellence then that could be quite a significant issue inviting scrutiny from Victorian equivalent of the crime and conduct commission.

We don't really do corruption investigations down here, albeit there is a body for it - had a corrupt government for too long.

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
NRL will settle at 20 teams for a decade would be my guess. Perth will be first then PNG or Pacific Islands. PNG was probably first but there seems to be a cooling on that. My guess would be agents have been cold on it.

Perth is there and the Pacific is a Player buffet for them. Let the Storm just grow and grow will be there preference. They are strong enough they have rivalries with who ever big sides are at the time like the Broncos, Roosters and Penrith.

NRL will then want the NRLW to catch up which is a issue for Rugby. Whats left in the Wallaroos are what they haven't wanted so far. 7s will be the poaching grounds less than 15s.
If the NRL bring the Bears back to Perth I'll be pretty happy.

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
I think that the idea of a second NRL team in Melbourne has legs just like GWS in AFL. They wouldn't expect them to make any money in fact would be happy for them to run at a loss. What it would do is put a professional sporting club in the fastest growth corridor in Australia in any area which already has a population with a leaning towards rugby. I think the NRL would relish the idea of closing down another demographic in the Melbourne area as now that RU has turned it's back on Melbourne it give the islander population another outlet for their sporting preferences rather than losing them to AFL.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
If the NRL bring the Bears back to Perth I'll be pretty happy.
That will be a huge drain on Rugby as well. Re engaging one of the biggest Rugby markets in the country (North Sydney region)

Get the feeling a lot of 30-70 year olds will walk back into nrl games when Perth is playing the Roosters in their red and black.

Last edited:

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
It would have if they brought them back to North Sydney Oval. I used to love going to games there even though I was never a fan of League just the fantastic location made it worthwhile and I only lived 15 minutes walk away.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
They still pull crowds 5k+ to NSW Cup games so if they come into the comp as the Bears and wear Red & Black you’ll see more come back to it and some of these will be people who spent money on super rugby tickets. These people also have kids playing sport…

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I'd be pretty surprised if Perth got a team and they made much of an impact. League doesn't have anywhere near the profile of union over here.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's the TV slot they want. Gives them a later night option if they want a 7pm kick off in Perth or an arvo local game going prime time into the eastern states.

If it's announced they will be hiring development officers and bringing in the women's game which will be at the expense of women's rugby. North Sydney run a women's team already in the NSWRL.

I'd say they would get bigger crowds than the Force. People see the NRL regardless but Rugby is hidden away.

DaSchmooze

Jim Clark (26)
I am one of those and sad to say it's a no from us. We didnt support the Northern Eagles, we didnt support them when they played in Gosford and we sure as sh!t wont support them if they are a Perth team.

It is the north Sydney bears, playing at North Sydney Oval, or its nothing at all. We have told the NRL (and our own board) this time and again and nobody listens.

If you want a team in Perth, then call it the Perth Swan Lagers or whatever - but you are NOT the Bears

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Iv'e heard the opposite from most people I know though from the area. They don't care as long as the team lives.

Teams move locations in sports around the world. Sydney Swans are a relocated entity... Northern Eagles was never going to work because it was merged with Manly their rival.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
May be. What I do know is that they moved it back as a means of creating a reserve grade that runs alongside the NRLW. Much to the chagrin of many of the current NRLW players who used it as a lead in to the competition. Back to Rugby.

Last edited by a moderator:

Derpus

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Iv'e heard the opposite from most people I know though from the area. They don't care as long as the team lives.

Teams move locations in sports around the world. Sydney Swans are a relocated entity... Northern Eagles was never going to work because it was merged with Manly their rival.
100% everyone I know is super keen for them to come back in Perth. Pretty sure everyone north of the Bridge and short of the Roseville bridge will immediately start supporting them. Combine that with some new supporters in Perth and that seems a solid basis for a team.

Adam84

Rod McCall (65)
federated model(which i hate) means this kind of thing sits with at the state level, with Rebels gone RA should at least support a transition period to ensure Victorian Rugby are taking over some of these programs, although recent public vote of no-confidence by some local clubs against Victorian Rugby would suggest they have their own issues at hand.