• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

DaSchmooze

Bob Loudon (25)
I'm not a Wallaby fan, I'd support them as my second team because they would have Rebels in the team. Now no Rebels, so I cannot support a team that does not support the city/state I have always called home.
Just exactly how are the Wallabies supposed to support the state of Victoria?

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Would you support a rebranded Rebels if they returned in a few years
Probably not. The club I love has been killed off. If they bring them back under a new moniker in a few years time then it’s a different beast. There will be no continuity, none of the players and coaches will be the same.

I will still have no trust in RA

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It’s very hard to have any faith in RA or the NSWRU. Impossible.

RA needs to move out of Sydney, maybe to the ACT and completely restructure. Not an old boys reshuffle but a professional restructure with the future of an inclusive game in Australia at its core. Don’t hold your breath.
Rebels were one of my favourite sides. Sad to see them go.

Mick The Munch

Ron Walden (29)
Probably not. The club I love has been killed off. If they bring them back under a new moniker in a few years time then it’s a different beast. There will be no continuity, none of the players and coaches will be the same.

I will still have no trust in RA

Agreed - Would support if RA have nothing to do with it - decades of incompetance

half

Alan Cameron (40)
JB

Agree very sad.

I hope Phil & Co have the smarts and support to turn things around.

The Rebels were reflective of all things wrong with Rugby poor management with RA equally poor at their management of a Melbourne based team.

I can only assume our broadcast partners were aware and gave the nod.

Will be interesting to see the knock on effect or if there is an effect on the next media deal

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
JB

Agree very sad.

I hope Phil & Co have the smarts and support to turn things around.

The Rebels were reflective of all things wrong with Rugby poor management with RA equally poor at their management of a Melbourne based team.

I can only assume our broadcast partners were aware and gave the nod.

Will be interesting to see the knock on effect or if there is an effect on the next media deal
All the word through Vic and NSW rugby connections were both Stan/9 and Fox sports did not want to negotiate on 4 teams. RA will be expecting a significant decrease in tv money.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
They already get barely any...
Are you implying that Super Rugby does not get much of the 30 million, and that international matches bring in the bulk of the broadcast revenue.

If you are correct, then the argument we need Super Rugby to fund rugby goes out the window.

The follow up question must surely be, what is the best use for spreading the rugby message and developing talent. The answer may still be Super Rugby, but if Super Rugby broadcast revenue is so small as not to be missed, then what is the best use of Rugbies broadcast revenue.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Was nice to receive my members newsletter from the Rebels today. Given RA took over the IP I assume it solely to flog leftover merch and run out their advertising commitments. I get this one had some good news and a send off, but if it comes again that is some tone deaf shit.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Was nice to receive my members newsletter from the Rebels today. Given RA took over the IP I assume it solely to flog leftover merch and run out their advertising commitments. I get this one had some good news and a send off, but if it comes again that is some tone deaf shit.
They've got sponsorship shit they'll still be needing to fulfil, that's all it's there for.