• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Adam84

Phil Kearns (64)
sheesh, if what is suggested is correct that that the money Victorian Rugby loaned to the Rebels was in fact grant funding intended for the Victorian Rugby Centre of Excellence then that could be quite a significant issue inviting scrutiny from Victorian equivalent of the crime and conduct commission.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Four div 2 clubs and a juniors club, all who could do with access to that $200K.
Yeah, unfortunately not one club with any influence, One of which I would expect to be a league club again next season. Made me look at the league clubs in Melbourne, and guess what I see. About 7 of the league clubs are all close to Tarneit. What's the bet the NRL introduce a 2nd vic team based out of Tarneit stadium, changes the league path ways and creates a rivalry in the state.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah, unfortunately not one club with any influence, One of which I would expect to be a league club again next season. Made me look at the league clubs in Melbourne, and guess what I see. About 7 of the league clubs are all close to Tarneit. What's the bet the NRL introduce a 2nd vic team based out of Tarneit stadium, changes the league path ways and creates a rivalry in the state.

I don’t see Melbourne second team expansion happening anytime soon.

at least not in this 20 team comp expansion… how does club rugby union stack up against club rugby league in Victoria. Participation numbers etc?

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don’t see Melbourne second team expansion happening anytime soon.

at least not in this 20 team comp expansion… how does club rugby union stack up against club rugby league in Victoria. Participation numbers etc?
Union would be close to double the size, but most young islanders play both. Union on Sat and League on Sunday. But the outer west is a massive growth corridor with only two union teams both not in the Dewar Shield in the area. When you look closely the fastest growing areas already have league clubs in those areas. Footscray is really dropping the ball with recruitment from these areas.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
very very long odds
Really? It's a business no brainer, we have a chance to place the final nail in the coffin of union in the fastest growing city in the country. With a new stadium in the perfect area to market the game to the young islander population of Victoria. As discussed at length, is how the NRL and AFL prop up new clubs until established. This would be perfect for them, you wouldn't damage the Storm brand to much, and you would add a rivalry in the biggest city in the country.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Really? It's a business no brainer, we have a chance to place the final nail in the coffin of union in the fastest growing city in the country. With a new stadium in the perfect area to market the game to the young islander population of Victoria. As discussed at length, is how the NRL and AFL prop up new clubs until established. This would be perfect for them, you wouldn't damage the Storm brand to much, and you would add a rivalry in the biggest city in the country.
I can’t see it working for a long time. Just because the Storm are so well supported already and have that history of success.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
As always the answer is depends.

I would presume Team 19 is destined for NZ if it ever gets up.

Team 20 could work in West Melbourne but would require ludicrous buy in so much further than what our West Melbourne group were planning for us (supposedly).

Not impossible, but it's 10 years down the line, by that point who the fuck knows.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)

I will go out on a limb here and say Melbourne gets a professional rugby team before it gets a second NRL side.

Kind of OT but still on point. Storm have been reaching out to female athlete for their new NRLW side… surely they called the rebelettes considering their future is very murky

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
NRL will settle at 20 teams for a decade would be my guess. Perth will be first then PNG or Pacific Islands. PNG was probably first but there seems to be a cooling on that. My guess would be agents have been cold on it.

Perth is there and the Pacific is a Player buffet for them. Let the Storm just grow and grow will be there preference. They are strong enough they have rivalries with who ever big sides are at the time like the Broncos, Roosters and Penrith.

NRL will then want the NRLW to catch up which is a issue for Rugby. Whats left in the Wallaroos are what they haven't wanted so far. 7s will be the poaching grounds less than 15s.