• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
federated model(which i hate) means this kind of thing sits with at the state level, with Rebels gone RA should at least support a transition period to ensure Victorian Rugby are taking over some of these programs, although recent public vote of no-confidence by some local clubs against Victorian Rugby would suggest they have their own issues at hand.
Not really RA kept telling us they had plans to maintain the pathways without the Rebels. Let’s see that bare fruit. Or is it just another lie

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Rugby never existed in Victoria before the Rebels?

And are you trying to tell me that the only motivation that these kids have is to play for the worst performing Australian franchise?

I doubt many Victorian rugby kids dream of playing for the Waratahs...

But I think it's clearly evident that the existence of the Rebels and their associated pathways led to the production of significantly more professional rugby players in the state.

Reactions: TSR

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Clowns will show themselves as clowns.

No one (at least no one thinking reasonably) is saying no Rebels = no Victorians playing Rugby.

What people are saying is, that to my understanding:

- There is no confirmed outcomes for the Rebels Super W players
- There is no confirmed outcomes for the formal state juniors sides
- There is no confirmed outcomes for the Public school program run independently of the the VSRU

and without higher level support to continue some/all of these programs (including those I've not listed) Rugby Union is likely to end up backwards of where it was prior to the introduction of the Rebels, in particular due to the NRL's push for Women's League, and Storm's significantly greater intention to sign and develop Victorian talent than 15 years ago.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
The most represented club in the Wallabies squad, the only club with 3 players in the squad is Harlequins. Love them or hate them (Like me, sorrry Timmy I'll still support Tom) it's a pretty good achievement. Would be 4 if RA was smart enough to offer Trev money last year.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
The most represented club in the Wallabies squad, the only club with 3 players in the squad is Harlequins. Love them or hate them (Like me, sorrry Timmy I'll still support Tom) it's a pretty good achievement. Would be 4 if RA was smart enough to offer Trev money last year.

those are junior club listings but it’s also a credit to Victoria as a pathway for producing talent

the best represented club would be brothers rugby in Brisbane.

Absolutely, having three players from Harlequins in the Wallabies squad is indeed a notable achievement. It speaks volumes about their talent and contribution to the team. It's always intriguing to see how different clubs contribute to the national squad's diversity and strength. Hopefully, Rugby Australia can make strategic moves in the future to further bolster the squad with top-notch players like Trev. It's all part of the excitement and debate that makes following rugby so enjoyable, regardless of club allegiances

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
those are junior club listings but it’s also a credit to Victoria as a pathway for producing talent

the best represented club would be brothers rugby in Brisbane.
I'm a bit confused about how they have decided which club to use. Lolesio and Ikitau are both Queenslanders but they have listed the Vikings as their club, whereas Wilson is as Queensland as they come but they have his club as Gunnedah - I know that's technically correct but there doesn't seem to be much consistency here.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm a bit confused about how they have decided which club to use. Lolesio and Ikitau are both Queenslanders but they have listed the Vikings as their club, whereas Wilson is as Queensland as they come but they have his club as Gunnedah - I know that's technically correct but there doesn't seem to be much consistency here.
You'd assume players had input as to which club was listed

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Seems RA plan to save the Tahs is backfiring. The Tahs wanted 11 of the Rebels and 7 flat out said no.

Really feeling like Waugh and co did not accept the DOCA just to help the Tahs, players revolting like this really is a bad look for the RA Tahs.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Seems RA plan to save the Tahs is backfiring. The Tahs wanted 11 of the Rebels and 7 flat out said no.

Really feeling like Waugh and co did not accept the DOCA just to help the Tahs, players revolting like this really is a bad look for the RA Tahs.
I hope none of them agree to go to the Tahs