• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
That’s probably what’s going on.

I think Rugby Victoria should retain the account and post stuff related to rugby in Victoria… I don’t think RA would mind that tbh.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
RA re-employed 80% of the Rebels staff on short term contracts to the end of June as well as the players, after the Rebels administrator made them all redundant in mid-Feb

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
The club shuts on June 30 officially that’s what the staff were saying on the flight home. I doubt there would be any OT or weekend work this week so it will be the final goodbye.

That will be independent from what the consortium chooses to do.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Good. I am glad they are taking action, while it maybe too late to save the club if the court finds in their favour then surely it spells the end for those in charge of RA.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
Rebels website main banner is 'Be a Rebel' - promoting membership! I would have thought they could have changed that, it's not as if the site hasn't been updated with latest news of Wallaby selections etc.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sully, i believe one of the arguments is that RA DID know (about the books) and gave assurances about the financial support coming (to all the franchises), that never arrived. this legal action is, yes, in part saving the directors $, but also about a fundamental change/shake up at RA board level and governance of the game in Australia - well according some i spoke too anyway.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Aren't the same people pushing the story that RA knew about the level of debt and insolvent trading the same ones suggesting that RA always wanted to chop the Rebels and did so at the earliest opportunity? That doesn't quite add up...

I don't doubt that RA probably suggested to clubs that there were hopefully greener pastures ahead following the COVID reductions and a hopeful PE deal, but I'd say it was the Rebels management who deemed it to be their lifeline. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Bob McCowan (2)
Should we not just lock this thread now? Rebels have joined the mythical Defunct Clubs/Franchises Society. Further gaslighting of us supporters (who our still grieving the loss of our team) in here is not necessary.

Any further discussion re: legal action and whatever else can surely be had in the Australian Rugby/RA thread.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sully, i believe one of the arguments is that RA DID know (about the books) and gave assurances about the financial support coming ( to all the franchises), that never arrived. this legal action is, yes, in part saving the directors $, but also about a fundamental change/shake up at RA board level and governance of the game in Australia - well according some i spoke too anyway.
I'm not sure any assurances about a PE deal injecting more finance into the game is any sort of legal argument to cover the directors from trading insolvent, certainly not for trading insolvent for multiple years.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Depends on what RA told them. If RA had represented they would guarantee their debts that is a different scenario. Is it a coincidence it all came crashing down just after the PEP debt deal was announced? Remember the directors had pumped in close to $6m in the years leading up to the insolvency. It’s likely a combination of that and Paul Docherty’s issues.

Remember we are talking about the same RA who didn’t sign a contract for the pre RWC match with France and blew millions over budget at the World Cup. The Rebels governance may have been terrible, but RA have consistently shown they are right up there.