• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I am not a Waugh apologist but I definitely think any anger held towards him specifically is misplaced.

Since coming into the role the bloke has put down a lame dog (McLennan), dealt with the Eddie Jones mess including explaining the gross overspend during the RWC and now had to give the death knell to a professional rugby team.

I somehow doubt the bloke goes to bed at night laughing maniacally about axing a super rugby franchise and is happy with how his tenure has been to date.

Slayer!

Herbert Moran (7)
5mil penalty from VicGov for not maintaining a pro team in Melbourne.
Likely to back out of bidding for RWC final - massive financial loss for RA and World Rugby
No desire to bid for future matches in Melbourne, meaning they will likely get lowball offers from other states.
Wrong - penalty is maybe $100k. 2025 is the last year a 10-year deal and my info is the penalty ratcheted down on a year basis.
And why would Victoria back out of bidding for an event that will bring ~80,000 cashed-up fans to the city for a week?

Slayer!

Herbert Moran (7)
Looking

Yet he and his mob want to put a roof on top of Accor stadium.

taxpayers just need to accept that stadiums are infrastructure investment. It’s not like America where there’s billion dollar publicly financed stadiums that service a billionaire owner.
Sigh. No they don't. That was another Peter V'Landys thought bubble that got picked up by his stenographers at the Daily Tele.
From the SMH:

‘Most stadiums don’t have roofs’: Minns blows whistle on Accor dream​

Michael KoziolApril 5, 2024 — 5.30pm
Premier Chris Minns has all but killed off the prospect of installing a roof on Sydney’s 83,000-seat Accor Stadium in Olympic Park, dismissing it as a “nice-to-have, not a need-to-have” at a time when the budget is stretched.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Wrong - penalty is maybe $100k. 2025 is the last year a 10-year deal and my info is the penalty ratcheted down on a year basis.
And why would Victoria back out of bidding for an event that will bring ~80,000 cashed-up fans to the city for a week?
Source for your info?

Slayer!

Herbert Moran (7)
Source for your info?
One of the people from who did the deal in 2015. When it was first floated in the media I called and asked "surely this couldn't be true?".
They said if the Rebels had been cut over the Force in 2017 it would have been close to $4m (big reason the Rebels were saved - this also came out in the Senate inquiry).
But over time - as you'd expect - that penalty wound down.

DropGoal

Ward Prentice (10)
I am not a Waugh apologist but I definitely think any anger held towards him specifically is misplaced.

Since coming into the role the bloke has put down a lame dog (McLennan), dealt with the Eddie Jones mess including explaining the gross overspend during the RWC and now had to give the death knell to a professional rugby team.

I somehow doubt the bloke goes to bed at night laughing maniacally about axing a super rugby franchise and is happy with how his tenure has been to date.
And how did he “come into the role “ ?

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think you'll find that for most of the people who bought tickets it'll be more like saying you bought Taylor Swift tickets and the support was going to be Sabrina Carpenter but now it's Paramore. The main attraction hasn't changed and it won't make a huge difference to most peoples decision to buy.
when it comes to this whole schmozzle RA really are in the misery business!

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
just wondering who is funding this?
In the event that RA does not provide a confirmation that would satisfy The Participation Condition within 30 days of the Execution Date, the Directors and the Deed Administrators will enter into good faith negotiations as to the basis (including as to funding) on which the Company will commence proceedings seeking declaratory relief that the Participation Right remains in full force and effect.

The Directors will be funding it, or at least arranging the funding.

Any money they can recover from RA goes to the creditors (ATO), which in turn reduces the Director's personal liability from DPN.

5StarStu

Bob McCowan (2)
I don't think they'll pull out of bidding because of the Rebels, but it's definitely provided them a convenient excuse to do something they may have already been considering given the state government's current debt issues.

The biggest risk to RA/WR (World Rugby) is the lack of competitive bidding for key packages and the final. If Melbourne pull out then it's effectively Sydney v Perth and the final price won't get anywhere near where it would in a three-way bidding process. That's easily tens of millions of dollars lost.

just wondering who is funding this?
This is what I don't get about this whole thing - if the Rebels' claims are as spurious as RA suggests they are, let them fail and claim for costs while you countersue. I'm sure the Rebels have nothing to lose, and part of RA's hesitance is the same desire anyone has to not get sued, but the willingness of people generally smart enough to cut their losses to double down I find strange.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
This is what I don't get about this whole thing - if the Rebels' claims are as spurious as RA suggests they are, let them fail and claim for costs while you countersue. I'm sure the Rebels have nothing to lose, and part of RA's hesitance is the same desire anyone has to not get sued, but the willingness of people generally smart enough to cut their losses to double down I find strange.
It's just the same tactics as Folau isn't it? Get enough motivated funding together and it doesn't matter how strong your case is, the legal and reputational cost that RA will suffer from a court case will make settling cheaper than going through the with defending a case

5StarStu

Bob McCowan (2)
It's just the same tactics as Folau isn't it? Get enough motivated funding together and it doesn't matter how strong your case is, the legal and reputational cost that RA will suffer from a court case will make settling cheaper than going through the with defending a case
I suppose, but there are extra layers here - you can pay Folau to go away but if I'm one of the other four teams, and I see a precedent that the Rebels claim that they were shortchanged is anything other than nonsense, first thing I'm doing is putting my hand out for my share.

RA would surely be thinking that any settlement will effectively cost them 5 times as much.