• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think once Carter finds his landing spot in league he will be a household name. I predict he will play for maroons.

he is Darren Lockyeresque with hair (but a shakey boot)

I really hope he stays in our code - but his skill set will translate to league quite well

Really? He seems one of the least likely league converts outside of a forward. Good luck to him but I’d be surprised if he establishes himself as a nrl player. Although they must be desperate for players with new teams coming in.

Mick The Munch

Vay Wilson (31)
Re-watching the presser - I love the “as soon as we made a decision” comments – let’s not forget the initial BI&L mid week match was against “Melbourne Pasifika”

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
The license part is the interesting one - "The first will concern the directors’ claim that Rugby Australia is not actually entitled to withhold the participation deed from the Rebels’ directors, given that it was granted until the end of the 2025 season."
This is what the administrator stated re that one.

The Participation Agreement expired on 31 December 2023 but contained terms that RA was to extend the Participation Agreement by 2 years if the Company had (amongst other things) complied with all its obligations under the Participation Deed.

RA has informed me that its position is that the Company did not comply with all its obligations under the Participation Deed and accordingly the Participation Deed was not extended. The Directors do not agree with this position.

Further, I understand that, at the date of my appointment, the Company had yet to agree to a new participation agreement with RA to field a team in the SRPC for the 2024 and 2025 seasons and did not hold a licence to do so. For completeness, I note that the Director’s position is that the Company either continued to have the right to field a team under the previous Participation Agreement or has a legal basis to have its licence reinstated as they allege the Company lost its licence in unconscionable circumstances.
My understanding is once a team enters administration, they haven't met their obligations and lose their licence. The Rebels argument will be RA's actions (eg cutting funding) forced them into administration.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think once Carter finds his landing spot in league he will be a household name. I predict he will play for maroons.

he is Darren Lockyeresque with hair (but a shakey boot)

I really hope he stays in our code - but his skill set will translate to league quite well
Love the passion but I don't see it the same.

Ceiling for me is Clint Gutherson type player but completely unproven. And if the 700k he was after is the price tag I don't see anyone doing it. 300k maybe unless he says he's been looking for Port Moresby real estate.

Again I think his risker approach to the game would be a hit in Japanese Leagues with a more passive defence. France doesn't seem the place for that style.

Last edited:

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Love the passion but I don't see it the same.

Ceiling for me is Clint Gutherson type player but completely unproven. And if the 700k he was after is the price tag I don't see anyone doing it. 300k maybe unless he says he's been looking for Port Moresby real estate.

Again I think his risker approach to the game would be a hit in Japanese Leagues with a more passive defence. I France doesn't seem the place for that style.

Fair enough… I don’t even know who Clint is so I’m guessing it’s not a ringing endorsement.

the reason why I think he will be a league success is his passing game. He has great vision on the cutout pass and can deliver flat passes into space

and his big strength in league will be his tackling.

I think if he goes he will have a bigger impact on the game then Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) next year at the chooks

Proud Pig

Tom Lawton (22)
Really? He seems one of the least likely league converts outside of a forward. Good luck to him but I’d be surprised if he establishes himself as a nrl player. Although they must be desperate for players with new teams coming in.
I would have thought he would have made an excellent league convert. Big, strong, good open field runner, great passing and strong tackling. He is exactly what every NRL club wants. His out of hand kicking is more than good enough and someone else can kick for goal.

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
SX, Up until this year Foote has been a big part of the problem, the Rebels were playing South African rugby taking the ball up continuously only to be turned over by Kiwis and some Aussie sides.
The Rebels tried to buy their way out of an issue and couldn't afford it and it didn't work anyway. They brought (bought?) it on themselves.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think if he goes he will have a bigger impact on the game then Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase) next year at the chooks

I disagree on the basis that the transition from winger to winger is much, much easier than playing in the halves. Plus Nawaqanitawase has really good aerial skills which are crucial for league back three players both in defence and attack.

I would have thought he would have made an excellent league convert. Big, strong, good open field runner, great passing and strong tackling. He is exactly what every NRL club wants. His out of hand kicking is more than good enough and someone else can kick for goal.

I think it's more an issue of his salary demands being that of a player who is starting in the halves versus being completely untested in league.

Hard to see a team taking a punt on that.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
SX, Up until this year Foote has been a big part of the problem, the Rebels were playing South African rugby taking the ball up continuously only to be turned over by Kiwis and some Aussie sides.
The Rebels tried to buy their way out of an issue and couldn't afford it and it didn't work anyway. They brought (bought?) it on themselves.
I'll have some of whatever you're smoking stillmissit.

2023 was more or less identical rugby to this year, just less polished and more volatile.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Kevin Foote deserves some respect stillmissit

not ideal kickstarting 2024 with this cloud hanging over the franchise yet he’s delivered the club and their fans their maiden playoff appearance (we won’t count that one in super rugby AU)

a better job then any washed up/under qualified Waratahs coach would of done. The Tahs would be mad not to entertain the idea of foote ball because he will help with the transition of rebels free agents to the powder blue uniform and he gets the players up for contest (albeit it’s usually after a halftime speech - they seem to be poor starters in games)

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I'm not certain Foote is an amazing Head coach. His background with the current Rebels squad and having learned a lot lessons from being a part of the amalgamation of squads gone wrong back in 2018 and an understanding of how not to do it again makes him a reasonable choice for the Tahs for 2 seasons, and get an understanding of if he's got more to give than what we've seen.

But to accuse him of reverting to some conservative crash ball unaustralian 10 man rugby when he almost threw his position away in 2023 doing the exact opposite is genuine misinformation.