• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

half

Dick Tooth (41)
I'm pretty sure those investors are investing in a property development, not taking a stake in Western United FC.
I think thats right, again I could be wrong, but part of the approval process to build all the houses and shopping centre was to build the stadium.

molman

Jim Lenehan (48)
Genuine commiserations to the Rebels fans and obviously those involved in the organisation who had nothing to do with what lead to this situation. It's sad that things have come to this point. I don't think any Australian Rugby fan truly wants one of our professional teams dissolved, even if it's not the one we may support. So I feel for your loss.

The emotions around this situation are rather evident as there is some downright silly stuff being said in this thread and maybe with time there will be a recalibration of where some peoples ire is directed and how they view the situation. People are due their opinions, but I hope we can be respectful and grounded when making assertions and maybe stop personifying organisations or casting aspersions in areas that it's evident some lack any real insight.

As a Rugby fan first and foremost, I do bemoan where our sport is at in the country currently. Hopefully we can turn some corners and in time even work towards reinstating a professional team in Melbourne. I'll be cheering them on in this final series, as I will all Aussie teams if I'm honest.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Absolute shitfest lol. I've got no idea what they'll be bringing up here. Foley's unearned top up back in the 13/14 offseason to keep him at the Tahs?

This seems insane.

The whole licence thing is going to come down to a question of law.

They're going to bring in witnesses to say that Rugby Australia back when they were called the Australian Rugby Union and featured none of the same directors or employees were mean to them?

Wilson

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
This seems insane.

The whole licence thing is going to come down to a question of law.

They're going to bring in witnesses to say that Rugby Australia back when they were called the Australian Rugby Union and featured none of the same directors or employees were mean to them?
I can only guess it's more about the threat of how much shit they can fling in court to force some sort of settlement.

LeCheese

John Thornett (49)
I can only guess it's more about the threat of how much shit they can fling in court to force some sort of settlement.
Yep - settlement and saving face. Absolutely no real intent to engage in anything that will benefit either the Victorian or broader Australian rugby communities. Frankly it's disgusting and says all you need to know about those involved.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
What wasn’t acknowledged yesterday was that the consortium proposal comprised a board with Leigh Clifford as chairman, along with a seat offered to a representative of Rugby Australia’s choosing, and was to contain none of the previous Rebels board.

Interesting part of a article on roar, if true then RA will have a lot to answer in court.

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
What wasn’t acknowledged yesterday was that the consortium proposal comprised a board with Leigh Clifford as chairman, along with a seat offered to a representative of Rugby Australia’s choosing, and was to contain none of the previous Rebels board.

Interesting part of a article on roar, if true then RA will have a lot to answer in court.
The fact Geoff Parkes can write that sentence without mentioning that Leigh Clifford is the father of one of the previous Rebel board just makes me question the whole article.

I admire Geoff's passion here, but his unacknowledged links to the "consortium" undermines his journalism.

hoggy

Nev Cottrell (35)
Must be a hard pill to swallow for Geoff Parkes. Who every Monday for the last 10 years on the roar has defended Super Rugby to the hilt, the only option ever available to Rugby Union in this country.

Any hint of another structure and heaven help if you ever mentioned a domestic competition that was always met with a stern Monday morning rebuff. The Rebels were his baby and justified the whole Super Rugby bandwagon.

Well those chickens have come home to roost.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep - settlement and saving face. Absolutely no real intent to engage in anything that will benefit either the Victorian or broader Australian rugby communities. Frankly it's disgusting and says all you need to know about those involved.
Just like RA. Why should we care?

Mick The Munch

Vay Wilson (31)
All the Directors are life long Vic Rugby Supporters, have ploughed millions of thier own cash, they feel they have a case and are defending it.
Despite the mismanagement, that is their right.

And if they do have case they have a right to bring it.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
All the Directors are life long Vic Rugby Supporters, have ploughed millions of thier own cash, they feel they have a case and are defending it.

Na not if that means less money for NSW

Mick The Munch

Vay Wilson (31)

If they don’t they’ll lose.

simple as that

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
1717153317482.png

Slayer!

Herbert Moran (7)
The fact Geoff Parkes can write that sentence without mentioning that Leigh Clifford is the father of one of the previous Rebel board just makes me question the whole article.

I admire Geoff's passion here, but his unacknowledged links to the "consortium" undermines his journalism.
Absolute joke of an article. He should be embarrassed.
The whole consortium is just a tax scheme to get Leigh Clifford's daughter off from having the ATO/ASIC fine her about $2m and ban her from being a director.
Typical Melbourne failchild behaviour.

Slayer!

Herbert Moran (7)
Sully you can keep going, while I hate what the directors have done. I don't believe they hid it for 4 years.
Do you have another explanation?
Two things happened,
1. The directors ABSOLUTELY hid the state of the Rebels' finances, not just from Rugby Australia, but also from ASIC and the ATO. Their directors will almost certainly be seriously fined and banned from being on boards for a number of years. It's similar in scope and seriousness (albeit without people on respirators dying of mesothelioma) to what the directors of James Hardie did. (what I just did there is the corporate equivalent of Godwin's law...)
2. Hamish McLennan kept sprinkling his special kind of pixie dust bullshit over the Rebels (and the Brumbies, and the Tahs) that he had private equity *just*around the corner, and he'd have a nice cash payment wrapped in a bow for them. Now the Rebels Board was already trading while insolvent (DEFINITELY on them) by this stage, but they hung on for the McLemon Christmas present. Which, like most Ponzi schemes hyped by Mosman shysters, never eventuated. By which stage the Rebels were so deep in the shit they had no choice but to double down and put it all on 00 on the Crown roulette wheel...

So were RA at fault? Maybe? McLennan was (and compounded the problem). Everyone else was misled.
Were the Rebels directors at fault? You betcha, and hopefully the door will hit them in the arse as they shuffle off from the Last Chance Saloon.
I feel fro the Rebels players - but management? They kept spending money on Taniela, LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) etc like the block who is betting on the last 50-1 shot at Flemington. They ABSOLUTELY knew....