• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Rebel man

John Thornett (49)
So, so much for all those. “We can keep the pathway but cut the rebels” mob who have NFI about the game down here. 8 team public school comp with 4 schools looking to join next year before this drama and it is going to be lost to the game.

Imagine where that could have been 2030 with the lions and WC bringing some exposure to the game. The development officers were targeting the primary schools that lead into those high schools to try and grow the interest early

stillmissit

Ken Catchpole (46)
So, so much for all those. “We can keep the pathway but cut the rebels” mob who have NFI about the game down here. 8 team public school comp with 4 schools looking to join next year before this drama and it is going to be lost to the game.

Imagine where that could have been 2030 with the lions and WC bringing some exposure to the game. The development officers were targeting the primary schools that lead into those high schools to try and grow the interest early
It's too little too late, they have had 22 years to build something down there. I don't have the timeline but compare them to the Brumbies?
I don't think it is good for Australian rugby.

Joe Blow

John Hipwell (52)
The writing was on the wall with many NSW contracts not being renewed this year. Once again RA have not handled it well and just look inadequate again. I am sure this decision was made some time ago.
Sad days. The Rebels were a good side to watch, particularly this year.
Where do all the players land for next year? That will be interesting and no doubt more than just a few will slip through the fingers. The pathways that have been created and nurtured will be lost for the most part.

Mick The Munch

Vay Wilson (31)
If I was a Rebels player, there is no way I’d play for NSW: the RA have shown they are disingenuous (remember at the season launch when Phil Waugh said he’s looking forward to the Rebels being around.

Go to EUR or Japan and get better coin,

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
If I was a Rebels player, there is no way I’d play for NSW: the RA have shown they are disingenuous (remember at the season launch when Phil Waugh said he’s looking forward to the Rebels being around.

Anyone but Waratahs.

if they hire Kevin Foote to lead the reborn Waratahs I may stomach that… will be tough though seeing a promising coach leading the evil empire.

Clubhouse coach

Sydney Middleton (9)
I am deeply disappointed that it has played out this way, informing the squad just before they were to jump on a plane to go and play the Drua appears inconceivable and amateurish at best.
I would have thought the RA board would have had financial oversight with checks and balances in place when they bailed them out in 2017 to the tune of $13.8 million. It is like giving an irresponsible teenager a new Ferrari and after they wrote the Ferrari off handing them a Lamborghini.
This is the same board who sacked Rennie to bring in Jones, and in less than 12 months sacked Jones to employ Schmidt. The board that allowed the millions of dollars overspend for the World Cup. That agreed to play France in a World Cup warmup game for one million dollars without a written contract and are still awaiting payment.
Fiscal responsibility is not their strong suite.
I hope for the sake of Australian rugby supporters things now start to improve.

Dirkgee96

Frank Row (1)
It's just the same tactics as Folau isn't it? Get enough motivated funding together and it doesn't matter how strong your case is, the legal and reputational cost that RA will suffer from a court case will make settling cheaper than going through the with defending a case
Except the ATO is also interested in this case and is likely on RA side. That's a good ally to have

Marce

John Hipwell (52)
The crowds in the first years of Rebels were just insane:
There are people who want rugby in that state but Rebels was poorly run by the board, RA and everyone. A lost golden opportunitty. If you look the crowds in the last seasons were pathetic

Last edited:

Strewthcobber

Simon Poidevin (60)
Except the ATO is also interested in this case and is likely on RA side. That's a good ally to have
ATO get paid either way (unless they release the directors). It's now just whether RA funds are are used to reduce the DPNs or it comes entirely out of the director's pockets.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I am deeply disappointed that it has played out this way, informing the squad just before they were to jump on a plane to go and play the Drua appears inconceivable and amateurish at best.
I would have thought the RA board would have had financial oversight with checks and balances in place when they bailed them out in 2017 to the tune of $13.8 million. It is like giving an irresponsible teenager a new Ferrari and after they wrote the Ferrari off handing them a Lamborghini.
This is the same board who sacked Rennie to bring in Jones, and in less than 12 months sacked Jones to employ Schmidt. The board that allowed the millions of dollars overspend for the World Cup. That agreed to play France in a World Cup warmup game for one million dollars without a written contract and are still awaiting payment.
Fiscal responsibility is not their strong suite.
I hope for the sake of Australian rugby supporters things now start to improve.

Not the same board.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)

Still on the someone else train. This whole thing is shit. Phil Waugh did say that but it has to be viable which was also said.

Great to see Baden land at the Drua after leaving in Feb...

My guess would be many of them from NSW would like to be back in NSW and play Rugby if they got the offer.

Sadly I think a guy like Lancaster will end up in the NRL.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There’s also a couple of different actions coming. According to Geoff Parkes in the Roar today, the first will be on the licence/participation.
Now that Rugby Australia has formalised its position, expect to see the matter in court early next week, with the first of a number of potential claims to be lodged.
The first will concern the directors’ claim that Rugby Australia is not actually entitled to withhold the participation deed from the Rebels’ directors, given that it was granted until the end of the 2025 season.

Rugby Australia has already publicly stated that it believes the licence lapsed; hence this being the first of what might be many legal battles.

The Ghost of Raelene

Simon Poidevin (60)
Roar is reporting unless the tahs land Cheika then Gordon on his way out too 13s code
With who? Good luck to him but the whole Titans thing proved to be an exercise from his side and not them. Lancaster is a safer bet than a untested playmaker in league.

Always 5-6 desperate teams. His style suits Japan tbh

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
With who? Good luck to him but the whole Titans thing proved to be an exercise from his side and not them. Lancaster is a safer bet than a untested playmaker in league.

Always 5-6 desperate teams. His style suits Japan tbh

I think once Carter finds his landing spot in league he will be a household name. I predict he will play for maroons.

he is Darren Lockyeresque with hair (but a shakey boot)

I really hope he stays in our code - but his skill set will translate to league quite well

Mick The Munch

Vay Wilson (31)
The license part is the interesting one - "The first will concern the directors’ claim that Rugby Australia is not actually entitled to withhold the participation deed from the Rebels’ directors, given that it was granted until the end of the 2025 season."