• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Good quote in the comments on The Roar "
Now the Rebels need to fight back. Issue a statement that they do not accept this announcement by Rugby Australia and Waugh, and let RA know in no uncertain terms they have started a war they will lose.

After all the Rebels are the 3rd best team in Australia and superior to both Force and Waratahs on the Super Rugby ladder. C’mon Melbourne, get behind your team."

We're living a real world Rugby version of The Castle
In 2017 when we got shafted out we ended up 7th on the ladder and were the second best Aussie side in the comp. It's shit mate. I feel for you guys.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
I was a wallabies man before the force came into super rugby. Still a wallabies man and watched all super rugby games supporting the other Aussie franchises when we got kicked out.
It's not easy supporting the wallabies when RA are so incompetent. They made a huge mistake removing the force in 2017 when they had financial backing and twiggy offered to inject 50mil into RA which could have helped today not happen. Instead the dodgy under table shit went on and the force got booted and the rebels stayed. The rebels is a slightly different story as they are so far in debt I don't know what RA can do. The wrong decision was made 7 by years ago and today. Although the rebels don't have anyone to bail them out.

If rebels fans realy want to give a big FU to RA support the force.

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
I just got an email from Ticketmaster:

We’ve been notified that there has been an update to the British & Irish Lions match scheduled for Tuesday 22 July 2025 at Marvel Stadium.

The Melbourne Rebels will no longer participate in the British & Irish Lions fixture scheduled for Tuesday 22 July 2025 at Marvel Stadium. You can read more information on this decision.

The British & Irish Lions will continue to headline this event. It remains scheduled for the same date at Marvel Stadium and all tickets remain valid.

So the real FU for RA would be for everyone to turn around and say we want our money back and have an empty stadium for the game.
They sold a Melbourne Rebels game and now want to replace them in Melbourne with another team. It would be like saying I know you bought Taylor Swift tickets she is not coming you can have Tina Arena instead.

Goosestep

Bob Loudon (25)
I just got an email from Ticketmaster:

We’ve been notified that there has been an update to the British & Irish Lions match scheduled for Tuesday 22 July 2025 at Marvel Stadium.

The Melbourne Rebels will no longer participate in the British & Irish Lions fixture scheduled for Tuesday 22 July 2025 at Marvel Stadium. You can read more information on this decision.

The British & Irish Lions will continue to headline this event. It remains scheduled for the same date at Marvel Stadium and all tickets remain valid.

So the real FU for RA would be for everyone to turn around and say we want our money back and have an empty stadium for the game.
They sold a Melbourne Rebels game and now want to replace them in Melbourne with another team. It would be like saying I know you bought Taylor Swift tickets she is not coming you can have Tina Arena instead.
I agree with your sentiment , unfortunately most of those tickets will be purchased by overseas Brits coming here to support the lions .

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Let’s all be real here, this has been coming for a long time. So in a strange way easier to take. However those wanting to excuse RA need to understand they are equally as guilty.

They are so incompetent they created an entity in which they were the sole supplier to (rugby matches). They had this entity operate for a number of years (and shame to the Rebels board during this time) insolvent and continued to allow participation. How they manage to be in a position where entities that operate within their own league structure haven’t shown any financial due diligence is negligent. I know the top 14 requires every team to release their books to league authorities each season, this happens in most major leagues (NRL, AFL etc.). It saves absolute embarrassment of situations like this. Because they also own the license in the only market this team is allowed to trade in, they take on a de facto parent organization relationship as they get to dictate the terms and conditions of how the entity operates. It could and suspect will get very ugly in court. I think we will see arguments like the inclusion of the SuperW program (which reportedly costs around $1m a year to run), the reduction in grant operation, reduction in home games with changing Super Rugby formats etc. Will make a tasty argument to some judges.

Lastly some of the cowboys that have been around the Rebels, shouldn’t be allowed to go near the game for a long time.

Wilson

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think you'll find that for most of the people who bought tickets it'll be more like saying you bought Taylor Swift tickets and the support was going to be Sabrina Carpenter but now it's Paramore. The main attraction hasn't changed and it won't make a huge difference to most peoples decision to buy.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
My recollection may be wrong, but I am pretty sure it was made clear that if the rebels were no longer around that a game would still be played with another team.

If I was a Rebels fan I would be upset that the State Government is happy to spend millions on attracting big games to Melbourne but wont spend millions to have a team.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Personally I won’t be abandoning the sport, those arguments are rather immature. However I will definitely be reducing engagement with Super Rugby and will most likely cancel my Stan membership during and only take it up when the Euro tour happens. The rest I can watch at a pub or FTA, that includes a weekly FTA Super Rugby game.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
My recollection may be wrong, but I am pretty sure it was made clear that if the rebels were no longer around that a game would still be played with another team.

If I was a Rebels fan I would be upset that the State Government is happy to spend millions on attracting big games to Melbourne but wont spend millions to have a team.

Not a Victorian taxpayer but if the NSW Govt. was going to use funds that would otherwise be better spent on services I would be pretty pissed off. I don't mind funding of community sports as they provide a greater good to the community but not professional sports. Part of why I'm happy to see the Minns Govt. here refuse to pay for the redevelopment of Leichhardt or Penrith Stadiums.

AFL_Converted

Charlie Fox (21)
With respect, I hope you're wrong too.

I haven't seen the proposal, so I can't comment on whether additional funding is requested. I've never seen in any press release from the consortium where they ask for additional funds above the standard allocations.

There is no doubt that Dan and Phill will offer their best verbal gymnastics to justify this backward decision. Equally, I'm sure the consortium is preparing themselves to refute these points in their own press conference and through formal legal proceedings.
I'm waiting for them to announce they had a big excel spreadsheet weighing up all the factors, costs, benefits blah blah blah...

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Looking
. Part of why I'm happy to see the Minns Govt. here refuse to pay for the redevelopment of Leichhardt or Penrith Stadiums.

Yet he and his mob want to put a roof on top of Accor stadium.

taxpayers just need to accept that stadiums are infrastructure investment. It’s not like America where there’s billion dollar publicly financed stadiums that service a billionaire owner.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I processed this all at the last game, so it's not really a surprise.

The Tarneit thing always looked a bit suss tbh, like the Rebels were tacked onto what appears to be a property speculation bid. Our interests were never prioritised - it was all about adding legitimacy to others.

I'll support the Wallabies and go back to parochial interest in Victorians who make professional teams, but super rugby holds very little interest beyond that.

Out of some sort of self-flagellating instinct I reminded myself of how the ARU managed the war chest from the 90s and early 2000s, and the $2m golden handshake given to John O'Neill really stood out as a near-criminal decision from the board. What an emblem of profligacy and waste.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Small silver lining - my Stan renewal date is 10 June which gets me through the first week of finals. Stan sports subscription cancelled.