• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think the Rebels are probably goneski forever. I don't think there's quite enough goodwill or opportunity for continuity attached to the brand to make a return workable outside a maybe a one-off farewell against the BILs made up of former types that will still be in and around Super next season: but far more likely to be the Drua, or Pacific Barbarians type of side that takes it's place.

Short term, I think RA, RV and Vic Government probably need to pull heads together and try to get a representative side and a colts into either the Queensland or ACT competitions for the life of the existing Super agreement, or the pathways completely collapse.

As long as the pathways are in place, and there can be "something" of good vibes around Victorian Rugby, I think there's almost certainly an opportunity for a different Melbourne based side to come into whatever is after Super Rugby.
The Rebels shield will likely collapse. Talking to people involved. Funny how Waugh pumps up the tyres of the program as one of the only positive initiatives in the game before slashing said tyres

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeah what happens to the Rebels academy? Jimmy Orange?
From RA's release:
• RA is currently working through the appropriate footprint for the 2025 Super Rugby Women’s competition – a decision on the Rebels Super Rugby Women’s team will be made as part of this broader process later this year;

• RA will continue to fund Rugby Victoria to oversee community Rugby and grow the game within the state, and will look at opportunities to increase funding;

• RA will assume strategic and financial responsibility for junior talent development programs working closely with Rugby Victoria under a centralised high-performance structure – including Super Rugby U16s and U19s;

• RA will continue to work with the Victorian Government on development of the Victorian Rugby Centre of Excellence at La Trobe University, which promises to become one of the nation’s landmark development facilities and the home of Rugby pathways in Victoria;

• RA is evaluating options to feed Victoria’s elite men’s pathways into Australian Super Rugby clubs – a path previously trodden by 2023 John Eales Medallist Rob Valetini when he was signed by the Brumbies as a Melbourne schoolboy.

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
All the people saying that Rebels fans need to support the Wallabies because they represent the whole of Australia are trying to take the emotion out of this. You can't this is emotional, this is sport, it is purely emotional. Any sport that cannot draw on pure raw emotion is dead in the water and unfortunately that is what this decision has done.

If you want to be sensible and logical possibly this is the only decision that could have been made. The reality though is that sport is not about logic and sense it is about emotion.
The Wallabies are the players that wear not just the Australian jumper but the Rugby Australia jumper and right now that is inexcusable. RA has just cut a quarter of Australia's population off from Rugby when looking at this through a purely emotional lens.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
There's a lot of conflation between the MRRU consortium proposal and RA's decision today which was to shut down an operation fully under their control. So many weasel words shifting the blame from RA, but the reality is they could have continued to support the continuation of the Rebels. Not doing so demonstrates that they have no interest in a presence in Melbourne other than to milk the government for as much major events cash as possible.

I'm looking forward to the legal action against RA. This is purely speculation, but I expect we are going to find out RA knew a lot more and made a lot of promises when they thought they actually had something of value they could flog off to PE. I don't see how the unconscionable dealing claim comes about otherwise.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)
so what needs to happen for rebels to play pro rugby in this country again?

say the 4x remaining teams get x amount of dollars from a tv deal - do you think there would be any appetite down the track from the rugby franchises dividing a pot by 4 suddenly having to divide the pot back to 5? less money but better for the game nationally.

A reborn rebels could get their ducks in a row but I don’t think there’s going to be any interest without some rich benefactor underwriting the new franchise.
Both NZ & AUS need to get rid of Super Rugby, it is the common factor in the decline of the code in BOTH countries now, just have a read of the stuff coming out of NZ today.
How the F---K did they let it get to this stage.
Sustainable domestic competitions at an economic level that can be sustained, or carry on until the whole thing sinks.

stoff

Phil Hardcastle (33)
• RA is evaluating options to feed Victoria’s elite men’s pathways into Australian Super Rugby clubs – a path previously trodden by 2023 John Eales Medallist Rob Valetini when he was signed by the Brumbies as a Melbourne schoolboy.

Awesome - just like it was when I was a schoolboy and we produced fuck all Wallabies and anyone any good went north during high school.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Both NZ & AUS need to get rid of Super Rugby, it is the common factor in the decline of the code in BOTH countries now, just have a read of the stuff coming out of NZ today.
How the F---K did they let it get to this stage.
Sustainable domestic competitions at an economic level that can be sustained, or carry on until the whole thing sinks.
Agree

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
What happened with the super rugby franchise financing when they kick started the Woman’s comp?

Was there a cash injection from the govt or increased funds from RA

seems a little weird RA is talking about the rebels in superW potentially continuing whilst no men’s representation in super rugby pacific.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
a path previously trodden by 2023 John Eales Medallist Rob Valetini when he was signed by the Brumbies as a Melbourne schoolboy.

Yay so happy to keep propping up that failed club too.
Does he get signed without the Rebels academy though. The Tahs saw him play for the academy and poached him

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
What happened with the super rugby franchise financing when they kick started the Woman’s comp?

Was there a cash injection from the govt or increased funds from RA

seems a little weird RA is talking about the rebels in superW potentially continuing whilst no men’s representation in super rugby pacific.
I know especially in this era of equal opportunity. Blatant sexism