• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Look, there's a tiny piece of my heart that hopes there's some substance to what they can argue and I'll be there for Round 1/2 in Tarneit wearing some Green and Black Clash Gear for the Rebels.

But remaining Court action is about money changing hands. Uncontracted players will quite reasonably start leaving in the next two weeks, others probably get reassigned. The coaching team will pick up something, whether that's here or overseas.

Even if that miracle happens, the team will turn over at least two thirds of its players, and the projected team would go 1-13 or 0-14 with many many humpings. Us die hards would make it work, but I don't see the trip to Tarneit under those circumstances being a worthwhile trek for your average supporter.

Goosestep

Bob Loudon (25)
It is a shame, but expected, RA has no money, the Rebels are broke and apparently not commercially viable

we always hear this, Aus rugby is broke .. But have we ever been given an explanation why? .. (I mean we all know why) .. but has any offical explanation ever been given? Has anyone officially ever admitted fault or mistakes ? ….
can’t remember ever hearing one ..this is the biggest problem , zero accountability.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
very sad for rebels and the fans there, don't think this will make rugby any stronger in australia, ive read that the victorian government had informed RA of consequences if the rebels get cut, anyone know the details of what RA is also giving up or at risk of losing?

5mil penalty from VicGov for not maintaining a pro team in Melbourne.
Likely to back out of bidding for RWC final - massive financial loss for RA and World Rugby
No desire to bid for future matches in Melbourne, meaning they will likely get lowball offers from other states.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
we always hear this, Aus rugby is broke .. But have we ever been given an explanation why? .. (I mean we all know why) .. but has any offical explanation ever been given? Has anyone officially ever admitted fault or mistakes ? ….
can’t remember ever hearing one ..this is the biggest problem , zero accountability.

Discovery on any court action will likely force RA to open their books, and we the all gaze on the wonders of "where did the money go".

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Likely to back out of bidding for RWC final - massive financial loss for RA and World Rugby
No desire to bid for future matches in Melbourne, meaning they will likely get lowball offers from other states.
I'm really hoping for RA's sake that they know VIC government is bluffing. Because if they're not, I'm confused why RA would can the Rebels.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Again, this won’t stop Vic Govt from bidding on major events…

Cutting off one’s nose and all that.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I'm really hoping for RA's sake that they know VIC government is bluffing. Because if they're not, I'm confused why RA would can the Rebels.

Who knows what goes on in their minds?

They clearly know that Australia has NO major sporting comp without a team in Melbourne. Yet they think the exit cost now doesn't outweigh the startup cost for any future professional team endeavours. They talk of the strategic importance of maintaining a presence in Melbourne/Victoria, yet they cut a proven pathway to professional success.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
pcan’t remember ever hearing one ..this is the biggest problem , zero accountability.
Add up all the unplanned bailouts, loans forgiven and extra funding given to the Super Rugby teams and member unions over the last 20 years

Last edited:

Proud Pig

Charlie Fox (21)
It won't stop them, no. But they can actively choose not to. They may focus their energies on Rugby League instead.
There are no shortage of high value sporting events that they could utilize the same funding for.
Hosting big rugby events is designed around two things bringing in tourist revenue and raising the profile of Rugby in Melbourne.
By cutting the Rebels RA has effectively nullified one of those goals so unless Vic Govt sees a significant profit to be made from hosting large Rugby events why would they bother. They already proved they will not fund what they perceive to be losing ventures by cutting the Commonwealth games. Given that that the revenue from the tickets goes into Rugby Australia's pockets rather than the Vic Gov't there would be serious questions to ask as to can the tourist dollar really cover the cost of running the event as well as the premium to purchase it.
We already know that the Queensland government will not pay big for sporting events given they are already trying to cut costs for the biggest event in the world. And NSW of course will only pay for Rugby League and AFL.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Who knows what goes on in their minds?

They clearly know that Australia has NO major sporting comp without a team in Melbourne. Yet they think the exit cost now doesn't outweigh the startup cost for any future professional team endeavours. They talk of the strategic importance of maintaining a presence in Melbourne/Victoria, yet they cut a proven pathway to professional success.
100% the Rebels shield is likely about to collapse after plans for further expansion in the next few years

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
100% the Rebels shield is likely about to collapse after plans for further expansion in the next few years

Yep. It will likely convert the program to Rugby League. Most of the players at this school also play at a local League club.

And I know players in Elite pathways will just go interstate and not stick around in our elite pathway program.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Nobody, why on earth would you go for someone else. The Wallabies can go and get fucked as far as I am concerned. I’ll support anyone but Australia

I get your anger but likewise feel like you're punishing the players and yourself in the long run.

I don't cheer for the Wallabies because of any affinity for the CEO or current board. I certainly don't cheer for the Waratahs on the basis of being satisfied with their administration.

At the end of the day, surely it's the players playing at that point of time that you are lending your support to.

This is an incredibly sad day for Rebels fans, Victorian rugby and rugby in Australia overall. I get that it may be very hard for some people to come back from this in terms of their support for the game but ultimately, it's the players who you support and I don't think they've done anything to stop deserving that support.