• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

DaSchmooze

Bob Loudon (25)
Good quote in the comments on The Roar "
Now the Rebels need to fight back. Issue a statement that they do not accept this announcement by Rugby Australia and Waugh, and let RA know in no uncertain terms they have started a war they will lose.

After all the Rebels are the 3rd best team in Australia and superior to both Force and Waratahs on the Super Rugby ladder. C’mon Melbourne, get behind your team."

We're living a real world Rugby version of The Castle

How exactly would RA lose a court room battle PM?

5StarStu

Bob McCowan (2)
The news has seemed inevitable all season yet still hit me like a tonne of bricks. Thoughts are with all the staff, players, alumni and fans who have seen all of their efforts come to this.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Good quote in the comments on The Roar "
Now the Rebels need to fight back. Issue a statement that they do not accept this announcement by Rugby Australia and Waugh, and let RA know in no uncertain terms they have started a war they will lose.

After all the Rebels are the 3rd best team in Australia and superior to both Force and Waratahs on the Super Rugby ladder. C’mon Melbourne, get behind your team."

We're living a real world Rugby version of The Castle
Love the passion but by RA losing potentially in court could it not kill the Rebels anyway if everything burns?

- Not that the Rebels are required to just take a fall. Just thinking out loud. This is all shit

DaSchmooze

Bob Loudon (25)
Love the passion but by RA losing potentially in court could it not kill the Rebels anyway if everything burns?

- Not that the Rebels are required to just take a fall. Just thinking out loud. This is all shit
Yeah it's a nonsense thought. As always, The Rebels management talking a big game but with no substance to it. Just like their financials for the past 10 years

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'll try and articulate slightly better now that I've had my coffee.

What I'm disappointed in is that we didn't get a statement of substance. If in Mid-March we had something along the lines of:

"Our preferred model remains 5 teams, the financial performance of both RA as a whole and the individual Super Rugby License holders means that the MRRU in it's current format or under RA management is not a participant we can financially provide for. In order for the MRRU to continue, external investment must be provided for: at an amount representing XX% of operating costs for years moving forward to 2029. We do not anticipate there being the appetite for this investment from either private sector or Government sources.

We will be in active discussion with the Victorian Government and other relevant stakeholders on how to best ensure a pathway to professionalism remains for Victorian Junior and Club players, and professional Rugby still retains a presence in Melbourne."

I would be a lot more comfortable. Maybe we would know that the Axemen would be playing in the QPR (Firsts and Firsts Colts) with some RA and VIC government support. Maybe the consortium wouldn't have been there to create smoke and intrigue as reasonable expectations they could never meet are public from the start.

But it's also whatever. BILs + World Cup provides a big cash injection, but the problems lie a lot deeper. I think we're probably just the first of several casualties. Domestic selection policy potentially the next.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sad day. I hope the club (or a new entity Rebels) can survive in some shape or form and make a comeback at the professional level in time.

I'm disappointed there's seemingly no appetite from RA to continue with them as an RA owned and operated club. Perhaps restructured for a time as a lower cost base team. It'd be better than the nothing they've decided to go with.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
But it's also whatever. BILs + World Cup provides a big cash injection, but the problems lie a lot deeper. I think we're probably just the first of several casualties. Domestic selection policy potentially the next.
Surely domestic has to go now. We have more players outside the country than in. Or we really have to be strict on foreign players. Can't have Tua taking up 1/4 of our starting 12s for instance.

LeCheese

Jim Lenehan (48)
What I'm disappointed in is that we didn't get a statement of substance. If in Mid-March we had something along the lines of:

"Our preferred model remains 5 teams, the financial performance of both RA as a whole and the individual Super Rugby License holders means that the MRRU in it's current format or under RA management is not a participant we can financially provide for. In order for the MRRU to continue, external investment must be provided for: at an amount representing XX% of operating costs for years moving forward to 2029. We do not anticipate there being the appetite for this investment from either private sector or Government sources.

We will be in active discussion with the Victorian Government and other relevant stakeholders on how to best ensure a pathway to professionalism remains for Victorian Junior and Club players, and professional Rugby still retains a presence in Melbourne."
I understand your point, but by being that specific RA may have:
a) limited the potential for larger proposals
b) invited proposals which met the outlined criteria, but fell down in other areas

As @Ignoto said, RA took the most risk-averse approach they could - it would've been unwise to play it any other way.

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Sad day. I hope the club (or a new entity Rebels) can survive in some shape or form and make a comeback at the professional level in time.

I'm disappointed there's seemingly no appetite from RA to continue with them as an RA owned and operated club. Perhaps restructured for a time as a lower cost base team. It'd be better than the nothing they've decided to go with.
I'm curious to that as well. They can take over the 'Tahs and weather the storm but the Rebels is a step too far. You'd imagine the 'Tahs and Rebels pull in similarly low sponsorship and gate entries.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'm curious to that as well. They can take over the 'Tahs and weather the storm but the Rebels is a step too far. You'd imagine the 'Tahs and Rebels pull in similarly low sponsorship and gate entries.

I think there's just too many people in Australian rugby that think the only way for the Wallabies to get back on top is if we have 3 teams, because that was the case when we were on top 20+ years ago. None of the other context around that matters (for example, we likely outperformed in that late 90's/early 00's period as we adapted to professionalism quicker than other countries, an advantage that will never be repeated). Everyone with this view can never separate the number of teams issue from how our playing depth stacks up against NZ.

The Ghost of Raelene

Steve Williams (59)
Sponsorship is probably around the mark but gate I don't think so. Rebel crowds haven't been listed since March when it was 4190 v Brums. Tahs are hovering around 12k consistently. No idea re stadium deals though

Dctarget

Tim Horan (67)
Dear Daniel

Today, it has been confirmed that the 2024 season will be the Melbourne Rebels' last in Super Rugby Pacific for the foreseeable future.

To our members, fans, partners, and supporters: thank you.

We are all incredibly proud of our players, coaches, and staff in delivering our most successful season ever in the most challenging of circumstances.

Your unwavering support over the past 14 years is deeply appreciated. This year, in particular, your attendance at games and support from the sidelines have uplifted the team during difficult times. Our

journey this year has been turbulent, and we couldn’t have made it through without you, and we are deeply grateful.

But it's not over yet. We have one final ride—our first-ever Finals campaign. We know you'll be there with us, cheering us on as we fight to the very end.

From the bottom of our hearts, thank you.

Always Fighting, Always Rebels

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It'll almost certainly be the Drua or a Pacific Barbarians or something playing the Lions instead. I'm going for BILs so in the end it doesn't "really" matter for me.

However, depending on who Schmidt selects in his Wallabies side and if there would be some availability negotiations, I could see something stupid happening like a Melbourne Rebels Select, made up of any of the 200 odd players that have had a game for us.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
Consortium going to court. Confirmed here: https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...ncy-meeting-at-aami-park-20240530-p5jhul.html

Clifford said the announcement was a “slap in the face of Victorian lovers of sport and rugby in particular”.

“The consortium last week presented Rugby Australia with a detailed $18 million plan backed by local equity to not only save the Melbourne Rebels, but have them thrive in a new home in Tarneit in Melbourne’s west.
“The Melbourne Rebels never want to go to court, but Rugby Australia’s actions to turn their backs and not negotiate on a common sense $18 million rescue plan has left the club no choice.”