• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Melbourne Rebels 2024

KiwiM

Arch Winning (36)
Really sorry to hear the news.

Have enjoyed going to Rebels games and have found their fans passionate and fair minded.

A sad day.

Reactions: dru

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
I will agree to disagree with the comments. RA has attempted to maneuver themselves into not being perceived as "the bad guys" from the start, and has hoped that someone else would make the hard call for them.

I don't envy the position they found themselves in, and the choice they've made is likely the correct one, but the process has been cowardly.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I can't believe people are getting so shirty with RA about not pulling triggers earlier when 8 months ago we were complaining about a RA who's leadership pulled the trigger and then gave thought to their actions later.

RA appeared to have acted with a risk adverse and considered mindset here and haven't hastily done anything that they may regret in the future.

Perhaps if the Rebels directors did a mea culpa a few years ago the Rebels wouldnt be in this mess.

DaSchmooze

Jim Clark (26)
I can't believe people are getting so shirty with RA about not pulling triggers earlier when 8 months ago we were complaining about a RA who's leadership pulled the trigger and then gave thought to their actions later.

RA appeared to have acted with a risk adverse and considered mindset here and haven't hastily done anything that they may regret in the future.

Perhaps if the Rebels directors did a mea culpa a few years ago the Rebels wouldnt be in this mess.

Exactly - still not one soul from the Rebels management taking any responsibility for their actions - not one.

Somehow - magically - everything that's wrong with the Rebels is RAs fault.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Damn - I really wish Hamish McLennan was around these days. Phil and Herbie way out of their depth here showing no leadership no vision.

I’m sure the idea of centralisation was going to compile all the super rugby debt from the other franchises and better manage resources amongst the 5 franchises.

rebels this year, brumbies won’t be too far behind them in terms of being axed

DaSchmooze

Jim Clark (26)

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member

This part is telling. VicGov not happy.

Any closure of the club could create further tensions between the sport’s governing body and the Victorian state government.

This week Victorian Sport Minister Steve Dimopoulos wrote to the newly installed president of Rugby Victoria, Elizabeth Radcliffe, reiterating his support of the Melbourne Rebels continuing to play in Victoria.

“The Melbourne Rebels are an important part of Victoria’s sporting landscape providing benefits for Victoria’s visitor economy by helping fill our professional sporting fixtures and major events calendar and providing pathways for Victorians in community rugby clubs,” Dimopoulos said in the letter.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyways, awful news... the game in this country is no better off with fewer teams.

I had the false hope maybe RA could find a third way to keep the team going that didn't involve this consortium.

And I can empathise with the Rebels' fans... if the Brumbies were ever axed, I would no longer follow this game.